Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

blueharvester

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 22, 2007
Is there any talk of the iPhone SDK being released on the Windows plaform? I'm really keen to have a tinker but I don't have a Mac (I can't afford one :-( ).

If not, then are there any Mac emulators out there that I could run an OSX environment on my Windows machine and in turn run the SDK?

scr1968

macrumors regular
Sep 4, 2007
Is there any talk of the iPhone SDK being released on the Windows plaform? I'm really keen to have a tinker but I don't have a Mac (I can't afford one :-( ).

If not, then are there any Mac emulators out there that I could run an OSX environment on my Windows machine and in turn run the SDK?

No talk that I have heard. Just another reason to get a Mac. I'd be surprised if they came out with a Windows version for that reason alone (I am sure there are others.)

SCR

blueharvester

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 22, 2007
No talk that I have heard. Just another reason to get a Mac. I'd be surprised if they came out with a Windows version for that reason alone (I am sure there are others.)

SCR
That's my thoughts too. I would love to get a Mac but unfortunately my budget doesn't allow it.

I wonder if someone will make an iPhone SDK simulator, perhaps an Eclipse plugin that wll allow you to code in Cocoa then compile and run in an iPhone simulator kind of like the Google Android SDK. That would be cool.

Jenson.Chew

macrumors newbie
Jun 15, 2008
My Dell laptop runs both Vista and OS X, dual boot.

By the way BamaATL, how you make OS X run as if it's running on a native Apple machine? I would like to code for iPhone too if that's possible.

Please enlighten me, thanks.

Regards,
Jenson

BamaATL

macrumors member
Sep 7, 2007
I have never coded on a true MAC so I can't compare. Even the coding I did on my Dell OSX has been just experimentation.

Retired
May 16, 2006
By the way BamaATL, how you make OS X run as if it's running on a native Apple machine? I would like to code for iPhone too if that's possible.

Please enlighten me, thanks.
It is against the forum rules to discuss this.

Chrysaor

macrumors 6502
May 16, 2006

DreamPod

macrumors 65816
Mar 15, 2008
The official SDK will never be released for Windows. Apple has no incentive to ever do so, they already get more than enough apps with the current setup, and people are buying Macs specifically to develop for iPhone, thus giving Apple money and more converts.

Jenson.Chew

macrumors newbie
Jun 15, 2008
The official SDK will never be released for Windows. Apple has no incentive to ever do so, they already get more than enough apps with the current setup, and people are buying Macs specifically to develop for iPhone, thus giving Apple money and more converts.

Hi DreamPod,

I understand where you stand. Your points are all valid.

In fact, even myself is planning for an iMac just to "enable" myself to code for iPhone or Mac applications.

But I think neither Apple nor Microsoft did the right things. People prefer cross-platform stuff. Well, there are solutions for cross-platform application, but fine-tuning need to be done for the same application for different OS, none of them really 100% cross-platform.

So, that's the game in the market, I won't expect Apple and Microsoft to do the same thing on each other OS to make their applications/developers cross-platform.

So if I really get a Mac, I will use Bootcamp for WIndows as my 2nd OS too, I don't like proprietary idea.

Thanks for the reply.

Meanwhile, I will look out for other alternative too.

Thanks.

Regards,
Jenson

takenthesmeg

macrumors member
Mar 19, 2009
Australia
Hi DreamPod,

I understand where you stand. Your points are all valid.

In fact, even myself is planning for an iMac just to "enable" myself to code for iPhone or Mac applications.

But I think neither Apple nor Microsoft did the right things. People prefer cross-platform stuff. Well, there are solutions for cross-platform application, but fine-tuning need to be done for the same application for different OS, none of them really 100% cross-platform.

So, that's the game in the market, I won't expect Apple and Microsoft to do the same thing on each other OS to make their applications/developers cross-platform.

So if I really get a Mac, I will use Bootcamp for WIndows as my 2nd OS too, I don't like proprietary idea.

Thanks for the reply.

Meanwhile, I will look out for other alternative too.

Thanks.

Regards,
Jenson

I agree. I am trying to get work to buy me a MacBook Pro :D for the same reason. On a sidenote, I had a thought the other day: Wouldn't it be awesome if Apple made a special version of Xcode that generated apps that work perfect on Windows and on Macs - complete with sexy installer. Then you could just write for Mac and let Apple worry about getting it to work on Windows. That would be a win win I should think.

CocoaPuffs

macrumors 68020
Aug 23, 2008
If you're a worthy developer, you shouldn't have any problem gaining access to a Mac. If not, why would Apple want to invest resource on you? 25,000 apps and counting, if you're not already on the train, you should be leaving the train station.

Jenson.Chew

macrumors newbie
Jun 15, 2008
If you're a worthy developer, you shouldn't have any problem gaining access to a Mac. If not, why would Apple want to invest resource on you? 25,000 apps and counting, if you're not already on the train, you should be leaving the train station.

I think that depends too. Some just don't want to spend extra bucks or mess around the place with multiple workstations. Though I would prefer to have Mac and Windows running separately.

But no, if I'm not already on the train, I shouldn't leave, I need to buy ticket, remember? So if I'm not a Mac user, I need to buy a Mac first. And same thing, I could be waiting there to pick up someone, so can I say I'm waiting for my Mac to get delivered to me?

One more scenario, I could be at the train station but I just alight, since I'm not entering station for nothing, of course I need to leave when I alight if I have nothing else, that applies for those who owned a Mac, but now want to develop for Mac and iPhone ;-)

Sorry if I offended anyone, just having fun explaining the logic behind. By the way, I'm getting my first Mac soon! Well, it's as mentioned earlier, an iMac ;-)

Cheers,
Jenson

nathan124

macrumors newbie
Jun 7, 2009
i believe if a windoze machine attempts to run osx, the machine cripples itself due to excess levels of awesomeness

I must award this with a ROFL. But more seriously, i also wish to make iphone apps for my iPod Touch but only have windows machines at my disposal.

Could it run on a hackintosh or is there any other emulator like interface that I can run it on.

BlackWolf

macrumors regular
Apr 9, 2009
I agree. I am trying to get work to buy me a MacBook Pro :D for the same reason. On a sidenote, I had a thought the other day: Wouldn't it be awesome if Apple made a special version of Xcode that generated apps that work perfect on Windows and on Macs - complete with sexy installer. Then you could just write for Mac and let Apple worry about getting it to work on Windows. That would be a win win I should think.

it's called java and is goddamn slow because it runs cross-platform ^^ that's the price you gotta pay for those things.

if you knew how apps work you'd knew that it's not that simple to "generate apps that work perfect on windows and on macs". I don't say it's impossible, but anyway, if you want to do it, use java.

Noobertz

macrumors newbie
Jun 7, 2009
I really doubt that Apple will ever release a SDK that will work on a PC. I mean why would they from a simple business standpoint that would just be a bad idea. Plus everyone should get a mac, Just for the Terminal.

firewood

macrumors G3
Jul 29, 2003
Silicon Valley
Not a chance. Apple's SDK depends on stuff (Obj-C, Cocoa, OS X libs & Keychain) that's not in Windows. And Apple is not going to waste much of their time porting all that important code to Windows.

They are also using the popularity of coding for the App store to trick more developers into knowing how to code for Mac OS X.

If you not interested in getting a Mac, go develop for Android.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.