Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

VforVelveta

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 16, 2006
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Recently I downloaded the beta for the VMWare Fusion update, and one of the features was support for DirectX 9. I decided to try it out and installed Dawn of War, but when I tried to play it I got an error message saying the Spooge driver couldn't be found.

I haven't yet tried to run it under Boot Camp, so I'm wondering if this error may just be a result of using virtualization, since the DX9 support is still "experimental." What I'm more concerned about is that when I used Google to see if i could find anything a lot of people were getting the error because their graphics cards weren't supported.

For reference, I have a 2.33 GHz C2D MBP with an ATI Radeon X1600, so if my card isn't supported I think I'm pretty much up the creek. Thanks for any help.

WarMace

macrumors member
Jul 18, 2007
I can confirm that Dawn of War works fine on both my iMac and Mac Mini with Bootcamp. If it runs on the Mini's onboard video, it should run on the X1600. I would run it under Bootcamp and see what happens. It sounds like a compatibility issue with emulation. Besides, it will run much faster under Bootcamp.

VforVelveta

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 16, 2006
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
I can confirm that Dawn of War works fine on both my iMac and Mac Mini with Bootcamp. If it runs on the Mini's onboard video, it should run on the X1600. I would run it under Bootcamp and see what happens. It sounds like a compatibility issue with emulation. Besides, it will run much faster under Bootcamp.

I know it'll run way better under bootcamp, really I'm doing it more to test out how well Fusion can do DX9 :)

I did a bit more research and it may be that I have out of date drivers in Windows for my graphics card. I'll give it a try when I get home and see what happens.

VforVelveta

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 16, 2006
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Alright, I tried it under Boot Camp, and I'm still getting the spooge driver issue, same as Fusion. I also tried updating my drivers, but the tool from ATI just says to look on my laptop manufacturer's website, and I don't think there's anything like that on Apple's website.

Anyone have any idea?

Caillean

macrumors newbie
Jan 28, 2008
Same Problem

I have tried Dawn of War in Boot camp and Fusion and I can't get it to run. I keep getting the spooge driver message. I have the newest imac. I believe it is using the ATI 2600 graphics card. Does anyone know how do I get it to work?

soms

macrumors 6502
Dec 10, 2007
Seattle
I used to have that problem on my PC, and I think I fixed it either by reinstalling and updating before I played, or by installing new drivers for my gfx card.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.