Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lord Zedd

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 24, 2007
Denver, Colorado
Anyone else notice a 1000rpm CPU fan speed increase on their G5 after the last round of system updates?

My CPU's used to idle at ~120*f with a fan speed of 500rpm. After the 10.5.2 update they idle at ~89*f and 1500rpm. There is no perceptible noise change and I didn't even notice the change until I saw the cold CPU temperatures.

I'm not worried about it, I'm just wondering if I'm alone or this is one of the system level .2 changes not massively publicized.

Attachments

• LMN CPU speed.jpg
    LMN CPU speed.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 355

AdeFowler

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2004
England
If there's no increase in fan noise I'd suspect that iStat widget is mis-reporting. When my G5's fans rev up I know all about it ;)

Lord Zedd

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 24, 2007
Denver, Colorado
MenuMeter would have to be mis-reporting as well as it shows the same temperature/RPM as iStat Pro.

They would also get as hot as 160*f at full load before the CPU fans would kick up to 800rpm (as high as they ever went before). Only the slots intake fan and X1900 have ever made audible noise during normal use.

After some stress testing the CPUs now peak at 120*f. :)

EDIT: This is all with the processor performance setting at Highest.

Lord Zedd

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 24, 2007
Denver, Colorado
Interesting, they have gone back to 500rpm... :confused:
I was really hoping it would stay at 1500rpm, having the CPU's running at non-blistering temperatures was kind of nice.

Lord Zedd

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 24, 2007
Denver, Colorado
I never found a way to get the fan speeds back up so I installed my own fan. Turns out a 120mm fan (cannibalized from a PowerMac 8600) fits snugly in the heatsink inlet shroud leaving only a few mm above and/or below uncovered. I took power from a spare power connector plugged into the hard drive's standard power plug (Since it gets power from the SATA plug).

With no perceptible increase in noise I have the CPUs running in the 85-120*f range again instead of 120-160*f. :)

Attachments

• fan1.jpg
    fan1.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 402
  • fan2.jpg
    fan2.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 365

Appleboy1717

macrumors regular
Dec 26, 2009
I never found a way to get the fan speeds back up so I installed my own fan. Turns out a 120mm fan (cannibalized from a PowerMac 8600) fits snugly in the heatsink inlet shroud leaving only a few mm above and/or below uncovered. I took power from a spare power connector plugged into the hard drive's standard power plug (Since it gets power from the SATA plug).

With no perceptible increase in noise I have the CPUs running in the 85-120*f range again instead of 120-160*f. :)

This is a cool idea. I would like to add a fan to my graphics card heatsink and my questions is where to hook the fan.....this is really interesting though. anyone else do think?

OrangeSVTguy

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2007
Northeastern Ohio
This is a cool idea. I would like to add a fan to my graphics card heatsink and my questions is where to hook the fan.....this is really interesting though. anyone else do think?

Yes that's a good idea if you have the molex power connector on your hard drive, if you don't you can tap into the optical drive connector.

This looks pretty cool as I might try this myself if it would drop 10*F, since I normally run at 115-120*F. Never seen it any higher than 130*F while encoding video.

merciless

macrumors newbie
Jul 16, 2010
Where would I purchase such a fan ?

Does anyone know where I cud get this type of fan ((120mm fan (cannibalized from a PowerMac 8600)) ?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.