Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lmalave

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 8, 2002
Chinatown NYC
Ok, I just switched to T-Mobile and got the Sony Ericsson T610 Bluetooth camera phone, and it's freakin awesome! Only $99 after rebate, too.

I love Bluetooth. iSync worked flawlessly with my phone and the D-Link USB Bluetooth adapter. After poking around a bit online I found a modem script that let me use my Bluetooth phone as a modem. It's slow, but hey, it works, and is adequate for checking my Yahoo mail, etc. File browsing works great on my phone, too. What I do to get pictures out of my phone is actually connect to it from my iBook using Bluetooth file browsing. It's awesome. The pictures aren't great quality, but I'm not really that much into pictures anyways (so this is actually my first digital camera). I figure it's a good enough camera just to take a few pictures to post on the web and stuff.

So anyways, I would highly recommend the T610 to anyone who's in the market for a new phone.

bennetsaysargh

macrumors 68020
Jan 20, 2003
New York
im in the market for my first cell phone. im not gonna get a picture phone or one with a color screen. i can just sync it via USB since i dont have bluetooth.
is there a way to use the phone as a modem over USB?

lmalave

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 8, 2002
Chinatown NYC
Originally posted by bennetsaysargh
im in the market for my first cell phone. im not gonna get a picture phone or one with a color screen. i can just sync it via USB since i dont have bluetooth.
is there a way to use the phone as a modem over USB?

Yeah, if you just want to use your phone as a modem, you can use the QuickLink Mobile USB adapter and software from SmithMicro, for the cost of $60. Make sure whatever phone you get supports both iSync and the QuickLink software though, then you'll be pretty well set even without Bluetooth. From looking at the QuickLink page I see that a lot of the Motorola phones are both QuickLink and iSync compatible.

That being said, the T610 is only $99 after rebate, so you're not going to save that much money. Keep in mind that none of the phones come with the USB adapter included, so really you'll only be saving about $30 over what I paid (when you add shipping and/or tax), even if you get the phone for free. Plus the T610 is the most advanced of the SonyEricsson phones - if you shop around you should be able to get one of the other Bluetooth models for free.

lmalave

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 8, 2002
Chinatown NYC

Oh yeah, I was going to download the software but then I fotgot :)

Actually, how does this product compare to Romeo, the freeware competitor. Not that I mind spending $10 for some good shareware, but I don't want to spend the money and then not use it because the freeware product is actually better...

dongmin

macrumors 68000
Jan 3, 2002
Re: Sony Ericsson T610 Bluetooth camera phone

Originally posted by lmalave
I love Bluetooth. iSync worked flawlessly with my phone and the D-Link USB Bluetooth adapter....

how well does your bluetooth adapter work? I too have the t610 and an iBook but I've put off buying the bluetooth adapter b/c I'm thinking of getting a G5 PowerMac. I'd still need to get a bluetooth dongle for the G5 so cost-wise, it's about the same, but I'm wondering about the quality of the connection.

idkew

macrumors 68020
Re: Re: Sony Ericsson T610 Bluetooth camera phone

Originally posted by dongmin
how well does your bluetooth adapter work? I too have the t610 and an iBook but I've put off buying the bluetooth adapter b/c I'm thinking of getting a G5 PowerMac. I'd still need to get a bluetooth dongle for the G5 so cost-wise, it's about the same, but I'm wondering about the quality of the connection.

i get every bit of the advertised 10 meters with my Hawking Bluetooth adapter and my T68i.

btw- my T68i is for sale in eBay- if you are interested, take a look. Comes with a lot of extras. Here it is.

lmalave

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 8, 2002
Chinatown NYC
Re: Re: Sony Ericsson T610 Bluetooth camera phone

Originally posted by dongmin

My D-Link has worked flawlessly so far. You just plug it in and the Bluetooth icon magically appears on your Apple menu bar. I haven't tested the limits of its range or anything, but I was able to browse files on my phone when my phone was still sitting in the pocket of my jacket which was hanging across the room. I'd say if the price is the same, go for the USB adapter. It'll be cool to be able to use it from both your G5 and iBook. For example, maybe most of the time you'd use it with your iBook, but every now and then you may want to connect use it with your G5 (for example if you wanted to use your phone to remote control iTunes or the DVD Player from accross the room).

lmalave

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 8, 2002
Chinatown NYC
Originally posted by Phatpat
I've got the same phone, can you tell me how to use it as a modem? Thanks

Well, you can buy the QuickLink Mobile software-only Bluetooth version which I'm pretty sure will be the easiest way, but will cost $40. It may also be faster, but I don't know since I haven't tried it.

What I did, which took a bit of work, is download the free modem script from here:

http://www.taniwha.org.uk/

Which wireless carrier to you have? If you also have T-Mobile, then the script that worked for me is the Ericsson 14K GSM script. Just follow the instructions on the page above - it takes you step by step.

MacRAND

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2003
Phoenix AZ USA
iSync with Motorola USB or SonyEricsson and iBook

lmalave

Sony/Ericsson T610 Bluetooth worked flawlessly with my iBook and IOGear Bluetooth adapter (new lower price $69 for 2 @ Fry's Electronics) but Apple says newer D-Link adapter is known to be compatible with Apple's new Bluetooth Keyboard & wireless Mouse, while IOGear is currently testing compatibility with KB and Mouse when they receive them from Apple (probably not compatible, older D-Link adapters don't work with Apple KB & Mouse either)

Big flaw & limitation with Sony/Ericsson T610 is poor reception of phone signal in problem areas like my HOME because NO external Antennae. Loved color phone with camera and feel of phone except for no reception of signal at my house.
Took it back to AT&T and exchanged for Motorola V60i with excellent external antennae which works fine. But instead of Bluetooth (none), have to use USB Data Cable from Motorola, which was hard to find - until I found the Motorola part number SKN6311. Place to buy USB Data Cable for PC or Mac (Apple provides software in iSync - no CD or expensive KIT needed, just cable for $29.95 plus $4 S&H plus tax), is:

http://commerce.motorola.com/cgi-bi...ode=&phoneID=&search_string=27,29&type=235079

Do not waste $ on "USB Data Kit CD & Cable with PC only software for $60", just buy $30 cable.

Tips & Secrets of iSync, BackUp and .Mac:

If you have been using iSync and Contact/ AddressBook backup in .Mac, be sure to PURGE everything in .Mac before you iSync to phone, unless you are also using it with another Mac or a PDA - then you have to consider some tradeoffs. .Mac or iSync HELP tells you how.

Suggest you maintain 2 Address Books (AB).

1. Use Entourage Address Book for ALL contacts - software & hardware, business & pleasure, phone, email, URL & snail mail addresses, Christmas List, relatives, photo images & birthdays & kids under Personal, notes, etc., etc. Entourage does NOT iSync. Only Apple AB does.

2. Put ONLY those PHONE Contacts that you want to upload onto iDisk using .Mac (all very confusing) and iSync into your Bluetooth or USB connected phone (limit is 500 on Sony T610, 250 or so on Motorola 'not sure') into the Apple Address Book, which you can drag & drop from Entourage. Purge addresses, dates, personal, titles, misc., images, other, etc. just name & phone numbers. If you clean and purify Apple AddBook first, less problems later. The more KB of info iSync has to manage, the longer and more difficult the process.

3. If you also iSync with iPod or other PDA, then you have to make some decisions here regarding what goes into phone because you may want all the address and some other stuff.

Follow clear and easy Apple Bluetooth and iSync instructions (really not complicated) for recognition by Phone and by Mac (iBook, PB, PowerMac, etc.) of each other, when turned on and in close proximity (10 to 100 meters) of each other - it is automatic.

"Send" command within phone for photos taken with color Sony phone/camera (none in Motorola, yet) is really cool and very easy, then your Mac awakens and recognizes "Send" and will ask if you want to "Accept" or "Reject" (the "photo files"), if you Accept, the files are automatically downloaded to your Documents folder or Desktop, which ever you have chosen. This decision is like a FireWall. You can also Elect (always accept, always reject, etc.) and set various options.
While it is true, photos are low quality pixel but considering capabilities and likely 72 dpi web use, it is adequate and very cool. A DIGITAL CAMERA like 2 or 3 megapixel it is NOT. Think of it as a FREE instant Polaroid, not 35mm color camera.

If you are in a web cafe, Apple Expo, or airport and an Accept/Reject Bluetooth message pops up, then look around and hopefully some very attractive person thinks you are cute and is sending you their vCard or Contact info, or a photo. Contact by anyone (even PC or a PDA) having Bluetooth is OPEN - Recognition is for iSync of contacts and iCal info.
;)

I also highly recommend
Sony/Ericsson T610 Bluetooth phone as excellent (exept for marginal to poor signal reception) or not as COOL but highly functional and well made
Motorola USB Data Cable connecting phones for iSync with Macs, and especially for laptops - iBook and PowerBook for easy portability - office on wheels
Canon i70 mobile USB Printer (OS X) $250 plus extra optional battery & doc kit
CanoScan LiDE 30, 20, 50, or 80 thin & protable scanners,($50 to $150) and
Canon DV video camcorders - take your pick - $500 to $4,500
and IOGear mini USB 2.0 Hub with power adapter - $39 list, Costco $20.

Just the time you save from NOT having to enter 300 to 500 phone numbers and names of contacts one digit at a time into your new phone pays for cost of the phone and .Mac capability even at minimum wage. :cool:

lmalave

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 8, 2002
Chinatown NYC
Re: iSync with Motorola USB or SonyEricsson and iBook

Originally posted by MacRAND
Big flaw & limitation with Sony/Ericsson T610 is poor reception of phone signal in problem areas like my HOME because NO external Antennae. Loved color phone with camera and feel of phone except for no reception of signal at my house.

Ah, yes. I guess I didn't think about that since I was getting crappy reception at home with my previous Verizon Wireless phones that did have external antennae. Every phone I've had also gets crappy reception at work. I'm relatively satisfied with my reception on the T610 so far...

patrick0brien

macrumors 68040
Oct 24, 2002
The West Loop
-All

Just be aware that the t68 and the t610(616) have had notoriously bad reception when compared to other GSM phones. So if you get frustrated with it's reception blame the phone before your provider.

I'm not meaning to rain on any parade here, but I just went through the phone-shopping game and these are the facts I've found.

The reason why the S/E phones have less-than-ideal reception is that the coil used for the antenna solenoid is too short so it's interaction with the core itself is weaker than it should be - the fact that it is internal has little direct influence on this.

G4scott

macrumors 68020
Jan 9, 2002
USA_WA
I wish sprint offered a bluetooth phone, but they don't as of now :(

They claim to be working on something with Sony Erricson, but I know it'll be too expensive for me...

mattroberts

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2003
Canada
I have a T616 - The signal qaulity is as good as if not better than my old MOtorola GSM and better than my t68i/m

The issue on quality of signal has more to do with the provider than the phone. The T610 does not support the 850mhz band for cellular use (which Rogers in canada uses) The T616 supports the 850 and 1900/1800 band allowing for much better signal penetration. MY friends T610 gets awfull reception compared to my T616, both using the same carrier. Unless you plan on Travelling in EUrope the T610 is not the best option get the T616.

The T68i/m had the same issues. It was in my opinion a disaster,

The comments on the internal antenna do not do justice to the theory behind them, a review done by nokia showed that antennas on phones older than 16 months had cracked anntenna line (presumably caused by being caught in ones pockets when be pulled out) this caused signal loss and was primarily blamed on carriers - this reduced the life of the phone and signifigantly increased churn (a carriers nightmare) internal antennas were meant to get rid of this problem. IMHO it does.

Go with a T616 if your provider uses the 850 band. That said the BT is second to none on the T610/616

cheers
matt

technocoy

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2002
Raleigh, NC
Hey G4 Scott

Don't hold your breath on the sprint phone. We do alot of work with sony ericsson, and they just did a lay-off of their entire CDMA division... not to say that they won't bring them back, but the people we have talked to at branding and marketing meetings seem to think that CDMA is shot. The US marketing crew want to support it, but at the end of the day, the swedes always come in and over-ride. so many other companies are looking to go 3G and beyond, and most already own GSM and GPRS network equipment.

Just so you know.

Hope that helps with your situation,

technocoy:)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.