Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LimeLite

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 20, 2003
Los Angeles, Ca
I've been wondering about this..and I always expect them to add it in a new revision, but they still haven't...

Why isn't there a power button for the iMac on the display, the same way that Apple's display's have a power button that can start up the computer? Having the only power button all the way in the back is somewhat out of the way. Does this make sense to anyone else?

jimthorn

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2003
Huntington Beach, CA, USA
I think they were just going for an ultra simple, clean look with no visible buttons or ports. Even the optical drive tray is "hidden" in the contour of the base, and only really shows when it pops open.

While I also reach behind my iMac to turn it on every morning, a lot of people just leave it on all the time, and probably don't care where the power button is unless they need to do a hard reset.

One last thought... people often consider building (or wanting Apple to sell) a "headless" version of the iMac (just the dome base with no monitor) as sort of a neo-Cube, and of course, they'd need a power button on the base, since there would be no monitor attached.

LimeLite

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 20, 2003
Los Angeles, Ca
oh, I'm not saying to get rid of the one on the base, I'm just saying add one to the monitor as well. And a button on the display would not make it look any less clean, as the power buttons blend in with the display very nicely.

bennetsaysargh

macrumors 68020
Jan 20, 2003
New York
like jimhorn said, i think they're going for the simple look too. also, one thing is people adjust the screen, so it might get in the way.

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
i think it's to encourage people to sleep their computers, instead of shutting down, which is in many ways better for the machine... plus it makes users happy that they don't have to deal with startup times, and it underscores unix's legendary stability.

and, it's clutter.

i think they were also trying to minimize the cabling necessary in the arm... this would mean two more wires, and it may not seem like much to us, it could have been crucial to avoid in designing... there are so many little reasons like this...

pnw

DangerDiabolik

macrumors member
Sep 26, 2003
they should just make that front silver Apple logo touch sensitive.

put yoru finger on it for a few seconds and

"Mbwahhhhhhh"

Start up Noise.

Why is it better to have a mac sleep ? Isnt it it just using electricity ?

LimeLite

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 20, 2003
Los Angeles, Ca
Originally posted by DangerDiabolik

put yoru finger on it for a few seconds and

"Mbwahhhhhhh"

Start up Noise.

Why is it better to have a mac sleep ? Isnt it it just using electricity ?
When asleep it uses barely any electricity at all. The ideas people have presented make sense, but I had an iMac for a couple of weeks before deciding to switch to a PowerMac, and I just remember it being kind of a hassle to reach behind and fumble for the power button, and just leaving it on was not an option. I'm not saying I don't understand Apple's possible reasons, but I still think it would make complete sense to have a power button on the display itself. Wouldn't even have to be in the same location as on the studio/cinema displays, but something a little more accessible. Can anyone argue that having a power button easier to reach would be a bad idea?

bennetsaysargh

macrumors 68020
Jan 20, 2003
New York
Originally posted by DangerDiabolik

touch sensitive power button on a computer is a bad idea. kids like to touch shiney stuff:p

not to mention the fingerprints:p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.