Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

safetyobc

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 6, 2007
Arkansas
I have a Mailbox that I want to delete from Mail.app.

I can right click it, select delete. And it gives the warning. I select OK and it does nothing. I have tried it through the menu system too, and the same result.

Any idea how to delete the mailbox? The deal is I set it up to an email that I cannot access via POP and it is constantly trying to access it but can't, obviously.

Thanks for any assistance.

MeSince83

macrumors newbie
Mar 10, 2008
thanks this was helpful to me as well. I've been trying to delete this mailbox for 2 days.

cao812

macrumors newbie
Apr 5, 2009
Deleting mailboxes

thanks worked for me as well. It did not automatically delete. After restart, mailbox deleted.

24' imac 750gb
16 gb iphone
1 ipod 16gb

Jerry44

macrumors newbie
Jul 19, 2009
Deleting mailbox

I just went to Mail ... Preferences ... selected the account and clicked the minus sign at the bottom.

NancyinWI

macrumors newbie
Aug 8, 2009
I just went to Mail ... Preferences ... selected the account and clicked the minus sign at the bottom.

THANK YOU!
Got our daughter a Macbook Pro for college and was helping her set up her email mailboxes. The info on the college website was incorrect as far as the socket, so I tried over again leaving the socket that it automatically supplied, so we had 2 college mailboxes, one which worked and which didn't.

I tried deleting, by going to mailboxes, but the "delete this mailbox" (which is what the help search told me to do!) and it was greyed out! Googling found this answer for me and it worked. THANKS AGAIN!

ngllgn

macrumors newbie
Aug 2, 2009
Cannot delete mailbox

I have followed all the instructions in this thread and I still cannot delete a mailbox. By this, I mean that I have selected the mailbox (folder) I wish to delete, clicked on the star and arrow down icon at the bottom of the mailbox window, selected 'Delete' Mailbox and pressed 'Delete', to no effect. I have also gone to Accounts>Preferences and disabled all my mail accounts, although I don't understand why this is relevant since I don't wish to delete an account. Having disabled all my mail accounts, I again tried to delete the mailbox, quit Mail and restarted it. The unwanted mailbox is still there though. Any ideas please would be welcome.

It may or not be relevant but the icon next to the name of the mailbox is a clear white colour rather than the usual light blue and has an arrow next to it, signifying perhaps that it a folder with something in it. But there is nothing in it.

ILikeDrums

macrumors newbie
May 18, 2008
worked for me

first off, thanks to safetyobc who posted about unchecking the "enable" box in preferences! worked like a charm!

to ngling: more specifically, the way I got it to work was by unchecking that box (for only the account I wished to remove), saving the changes (by simply navigating away from that account info), and then, while still in preferences, highlighting the account and clicking the subract [-] button near the bottom (right next to the add [+] button). It removed the account right then and there. Good luck!

Maraka

macrumors newbie
Mar 12, 2012
To nling

Go to Mail>Preferences>Accounts>Unclick "Enable this account"... Like shown in the attachmnt.

Hope it works for u.

I have followed all the instructions in this thread and I still cannot delete a mailbox. By this, I mean that I have selected the mailbox (folder) I wish to delete, clicked on the star and arrow down icon at the bottom of the mailbox window, selected 'Delete' Mailbox and pressed 'Delete', to no effect. I have also gone to Accounts>Preferences and disabled all my mail accounts, although I don't understand why this is relevant since I don't wish to delete an account. Having disabled all my mail accounts, I again tried to delete the mailbox, quit Mail and restarted it. The unwanted mailbox is still there though. Any ideas please would be welcome.

It may or not be relevant but the icon next to the name of the mailbox is a clear white colour rather than the usual light blue and has an arrow next to it, signifying perhaps that it a folder with something in it. But there is nothing in it.

Attachments

• Screen shot 2012-03-12 at 10.00.25 AM.png
    Screen shot 2012-03-12 at 10.00.25 AM.png
    78 KB · Views: 859

MiraMar111

macrumors newbie
Sep 7, 2013
Swiftaw...
After struggling for a half hour I saw your answer. Problem solved immediately and so simply! Thank you.

Last edited:

TZC20

macrumors newbie
Jul 1, 2016
Hervey Bay, QLD, Australia
I have a Mailbox that I want to delete from Mail.app.

I can right click it, select delete. And it gives the warning. I select OK and it does nothing. I have tried it through the menu system too, and the same result.

Any idea how to delete the mailbox? The deal is I set it up to an email that I cannot access via POP and it is constantly trying to access it but can't, obviously.

Thanks for any assistance.

I had exactly your problem.
Try renaming the mailbox, then delete as you did before - worked for me
I have no idea why... but it worked

Reactions: SarahSmall

SarahSmall

macrumors newbie
Feb 10, 2017
I had exactly your problem.
Try renaming the mailbox, then delete as you did before - worked for me
I have no idea why... but it worked

Thank you!! Been having the same problem as Nglign and everyone seems to think I'm saying "delete ACCOUNT" not "delete MAILBOX"?! Really strange. But renaming worked. Thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.