Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RumMunkey

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 3, 2006
Canada
As far as I can tell, Handbrake's Strict setting will take the exact visible frame of the DVD image and copy it no matter what.

This is good because you get the exact screen dimensions as the DVD, but bad because sometimes the dimensions don't divide evenly by 16, and when that happens the encoding becomes less efficient and compression may suffer.

On the other hand, Handbrakes' Loose setting will adjust the image size to a figure that does divide evenly by 16. This is good because you get efficient encoding with better compression, but bad because it's scaling down the image.

For example, I am looking at "This Film is Not Yet Rated" on DVD. The "Source" is reported in Handbrake as 720x480.

Using the strict setting, Handbrake wants to encode at 718x364 (638x364 strict anamorphic).

Under the loose setting, it wants to encode at 720x368 (645x368 loose anamorphic).

So, what does this mean, really? How does a 720x480 source go down to 720x 368 anyway? What happens to the 112 rows of pixels in my height? I thought anamorphic was essentially a width-altering technology(?)

Which setting should I be using if I want the best possible picture that will play over tv and iPod Touch/iPhone?

mchalebk

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2008
In doing a quick check, it appears that the DVD of "This Film Is Not Yet Rated" is non-anamorphic widescreen, so I assume the missing pixels are the black bars that are encoded as picture information on the DVD.

dynaflash

macrumors 68020
Mar 27, 2003
Which setting should I be using if I want the best possible picture that will play over tv and iPod Touch/iPhone?
Personally, for atv *only* I use strict as its the most accurate to source. However for if you are including the iPod touch/phone, use loose.

dolodot

macrumors newbie
Jul 29, 2010
What if...

Then what is the downside of using neither loose nor strict anamorphic settings? I display my DVD rips on a 1080p 42" LCD. What's the best settings for this scenario?

dynaflash

macrumors 68020
Mar 27, 2003
Actually strict will work as well as loose on all apple products tbh. There was a time when the x264 encoder had compression efficiencey issue with non mod-16 dimensions hence the loose anamorphic setting.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.