Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ea21

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 8, 2008
Has anyone found good deals buying a macbook through aafees (store, not online, I don't want to have for shipping)? Would it be better just to buy through Apple or Amazon? I'm buying as a gift a macbook and the protection plan. I saw that Amazon has the protection for $189.99 and the Apple store for $249 but I read that you have to call in or something if you buy from Amazon? The Apple store has a $100 printer coupon also.

I'm also trying to decide which macbook, the 2.1GHz or 2.4GHz. Is the additional speed and 1GB of memory and 40GB hard drive worth $200? The person using the computer isn't going to be running many applications but I'm thinking he might want to use it for games.

Thanks for any information.

scienide09

macrumors 65816
May 5, 2007
Canada
I'm also trying to decide which macbook, the 2.1GHz or 2.4GHz. Is the additional speed and 1GB of memory and 40GB hard drive worth $200? The person using the computer isn't going to be running many applications but I'm thinking he might want to use it for games.

The HD and the RAM in the MacBooks are user replaceable. The processor is not. It's likely you won't notice the slight processor difference.

Re: gaming on a MacBook. You might seek further advice here, or in the gaming forums. The MacBooks are NOT equipped for gaming. The integrated GPU is a bottleneck and affects performance. The dedicated GPUs available in the MBP line may suit your needs better.

ea21

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 8, 2008
Thanks. I guess the person doesn't plan on using the MacBook for games (he has a PS3). AAFES has both the 2.1GHz and 2.4GHz models in stock. I am going to get the 2.4GHz model. I read the thread about adding memory and was thinking of buying more memory and installing it. The MacBook comes with 2GB memory and I read that Apple recommends installing RAM in matched pairs so does this mean that I buy 2GB more for a total of 4GB? AAFES sells Centon memory, is that a good brand?

330toSRT8

macrumors member
Feb 24, 2008
The MacBook probably has two DIMM slots and comes with two 1GB DIMMs. If that is the case, you will need to purchase two 2GB DIMMs to get a total of 4GB by replacing the existing 1GB DIMMs. Someone who actually owns a MacBook can hopefully verify this, but that information is based on my experience with PC laptops.

TonyG

macrumors newbie
Aug 16, 2007
San Antonio, TX
Do what I did, have AAFES pricematch to Apple's Military discount price. You'll also get no sales tax since you are buying from AAFES and you get it on the spot, no waiting for shipping. You can't beat that deal, I think we soldiers deserve every break we can get.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.