Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stevo1

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 18, 2007
UK
*Embarrassing question alert*

What is the quickest way to check my internet connection speed in Tiger?

On a PC, I've always known it's as simple as hovering the cursor over the connection icon in the taskbar. It's been like that at least since XP if not earlier.

In OSX though (Tiger at least) the Airport icon in the menubar doesn't give any of that information.

Where can I go/what should I open to find this out?

Thanks.

JNB

macrumors 604
*Embarrassing question alert*

What is the quickest way to check my internet connection speed in Tiger?

On a PC, I've always known it's as simple as hovering the cursor over the connection icon in the taskbar. It's been like that at least since XP if not earlier.

In OSX though (Tiger at least) the Airport icon in the menubar doesn't give any of that information.

Where can I go/what should I open to find this out?

Thanks.

That only gives you the connection speed to your router or switch, not the 'net. You still have to go to an online test site as mentioned ^^^ to determine "internet" speed.

stevo1

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 18, 2007
UK
That only gives you the connection speed to your router or switch, not the 'net.
Ah, I see.

In that case, can anyone tell me where I find my connection speed to the router?

Is there nothing more specific in Tiger than the Airport icon in the menu bar that shows (for e.g.) 3 out of 4 bars strength?

JNB

macrumors 604
Ah, I see.

In that case, can anyone tell me where I find my connection speed to the router?

Is there nothing more specific in Tiger than the Airport icon in the menu bar that shows (for e.g.) 3 out of 4 bars strength?

Your connection speed to the router is immaterial. It'll be whatever the rated speed of the router or network card is, whichever is slowest. That machine-to-first device measurement has lost any real concept of being meaningful since you're typically on a switch--not a hub, and on a home network, where there's likely not much competition for the bandwidth anyway.

See? Even when Windows did provide information, it was useless. :p

stevo1

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 18, 2007
UK
Thanks John (and to the others who posted).

The reason I was curious is because my internet connection has become so volatile over the last few days. For ths most part, my Mac is now taking, like, over a minute and a half to load a single web page like this one. Painfully frustrating.

The 2 PC's in the house are experiencing no slowdown at all, which makes me think it's not the wireless router. (Switching the PC's off makes no difference btw)

Does this sound to you like the problem is more likely to be related to my Mac/Airport rather than the router?

If so, what kind of thing can cause this?

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
hm tried resetting your mini??

when my ibook slowed down the airport antenna came loose from the airport, which may not be the case on yours since i accidentally bumped it, it stays in pretty solidly.

thats very odd though, i really have no idea.

stevo1

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 18, 2007
UK
Yup, I've restarted the iMac several times. And the router.

Turned off widgets and done everything I can think of that might be hogging bandwidth. (That's what was behind my original question of where I could find the connection speed)

My Airport menubar icon fluctuates between 3 and 4 bars out of 4, which seems ok (though it never previously dropped below 4).

But if I open the 'Internet Connect' window, on the Airport tab, it shows my Signal Level as being 4 out of 15. Which seems rather less ok!

I'll keep fiddling, but in the meantime if anyone can offer any suggestions as to how I might better diagnose it, that would be useful.

Batt

macrumors 65816
Dec 17, 2007
Syracuse, NY
Yup, I've restarted the iMac several times. And the router.

Turned off widgets and done everything I can think of that might be hogging bandwidth. (That's what was behind my original question of where I could find the connection speed)

My Airport menubar icon fluctuates between 3 and 4 bars out of 4, which seems ok (though it never previously dropped below 4).

But if I open the 'Internet Connect' window, on the Airport tab, it shows my Signal Level as being 4 out of 15. Which seems rather less ok!

I'll keep fiddling, but in the meantime if anyone can offer any suggestions as to how I might better diagnose it, that would be useful.
Change the channel?

HostMacMini

macrumors newbie
May 3, 2011
Cant get speed test to work

Hi All,

Sorry if this now the right location, Thanks in advance for any help..

I am having an odd issue with speed test and a number of other websites. I cant's run Speedtest.net nor can I http://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest/ on my mac mini server.

It was working yesterday. The mac is setup as a standalone with no monitor or keyboard connected. I just VNC the mac.

The browser just loads some of the contents of the pages or the site but then hangs.

Any ideas and suggestions please?
:confused:

HostMacMini

macrumors newbie
May 3, 2011
Does the server work with other websites?

Thanks for your help, The problem is I cant access a lot of other sites not just speedtest. It hangs on youtube, Zdnet and few others and some do work...

BTW, were is the reset for safari? I don't normally use safari...

blevins321

macrumors 68030
Dec 24, 2010
Detroit, MI
Thanks for your help, The problem is I cant access a lot of other sites not just speedtest. It hangs on youtube, Zdnet and few others and some do work...

BTW, were is the reset for safari? I don't normally use safari...

On Safari it's Safari in the top left, then Reset Safari in the dropdown menu. Since it's other sites though, I'd try reinstalling the latest version of Adobe Flash Player. Here is the link to the download page.

HostMacMini

macrumors newbie
May 3, 2011
Thanks blevins321

I have the latest version, One of my contacts had the same issues. However he installed Java IDE for his work stuff but that seems to have fixed the issue. So I am guessing it could be Java.

I did install the Java yet I have the same problem. he must have installed something else as well. I need to find out...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.