Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

scamperdude

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 10, 2008
I have a canon pixma 830 that works fine on my mac. I want to be able to print wirelessly using a wireless printer server. The printer works fine in this manner with a windows based machine, but when I try to install the wireless option on the mac by adding a new printer and giving its location with an IP address, the computer can't find the proper driver. I know that it exists on the machine, but I don't know where. Interestingly enough, neither Mac or Canon support people could tell me where the drivers are stored in the OS. You think someone there should know!! Anyone ever track down where Canon hides its printer drivers??

gsahli

macrumors 6502a
Jun 1, 2007
Chicago
Your driver doesn't appear for network printing protocols because it was written in Carbon, where the authors program-in which protocols will work. You need a CUPS driver to use the built-in CUPS network protocols, or a printer with networking built-in - because they provide a network driver then. Check Canon's site for new drivers. Some drivers there say CUPS in the name now, so they may work with a print server.

Otherwise you'll need a newer Gutenprint (CUPS) driver from:
http://www.linux-foundation.org/en/OpenPrinting/macosx

scamperdude

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 10, 2008
I think I downloaded the proper Gutenprint cups drivers, but now what? This stuff looks like some kind of programing language and haven't the first clue where to go from here. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

gsahli

macrumors 6502a
Jun 1, 2007
Chicago
scamperdude -
sounds like you downloaded the source code. Go back and get the normal Mac .dmg installer file.

Oh, and FYI - Canon's drivers go into the Library/Printers/Canon folder.

scamperdude

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 10, 2008
Thanks for your help. I was able to download and install the proper cups drivers. I added a new printer, found the appropriate MP830 driver, but when I try to print the computer is not finding the printer. The printer is connected to a Linksys wireless printer server. I have one a windows pc on the same network and it finds the printer. I put in the proper ip address for the printer server, but no luck. Are there any tricks to installing wireless devices on a mac?

gsahli

macrumors 6502a
Jun 1, 2007
Chicago
What Linksys model is that? (So I can read the manual)
Since we don't have an auto-setup wizard for OS X, we need to read the manual, and know what to look for. I think the issue you are having is that you haven't found and then entered the queue name for the port on the print server in the place for that in OS X's add printer dialog. Queue name (also called port name) is required for the IPP and LPD protocols, but not for HP Jetdirect (which is called raw port 9100 on PCs).

gsahli

macrumors 6502a
Jun 1, 2007
Chicago
Yup, already had that manual here...
It's difficult for me to give an exact answer here because I don't have the print server. You need to experiment - OK? Looks like the print server supports both LPD and IPP protocols. Try LPD first.

On pg 25 of the manual it suggests you enter the print server "device name" from the sticker on the bottom into the place called - surprise - device name in the "Setup" page (using a web browser to access the print server). Even though that isn't called queue name or port name, I believe it "could be" the queue name.

On the other hand, pg 32 of the manual shows printer name and port. Look at the pull-down for printer port. It is also possible that you choose a queue name here - so queue name "might" be USB1 or lp1 or L1 (I can't see the pull-down choices).

HTH

scamperdude

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 10, 2008
OK, I have tried every permutation and combination that I can think of using your suggestions (thanks again for that BTW). I still get the same "network host '192.168.1.107' is busy. The one thing that I have noticed is that I haven't put anything in the 'Location" slot in printer setup page. Should I be giving a location as well? What does this refer to anyway? TIA.

gsahli

macrumors 6502a
Jun 1, 2007
Chicago
AFAIK, location is just for info - not used.
I haven't been able to find any other info for the print server. If you can't find the queue name, I suggest you take it back.

MrHockey172000

macrumors newbie
Jul 18, 2009
Old Canon Printer Help Needed

My mother-in-law has an old Canon Printer (BJC 620) and we recently bought her a MacBook and hoped that we could use it with the printer but no luck so far and we wondered if someone had an idea. Canon does not list an Apple OS system next to their pull down window for a driver for this printer. The dialogue box that shows up when you try to print has some Canon choices and we picked the one that looked closest to it but no luck. It seems like it wants to communicate but that is about it. Any ideas? We went and bought lots of ink and a cable to make this work but are frustrated.

http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/c...loadDetailTabAct&fcategoryid=329&modelid=7992

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.