Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fab5freddy

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 21, 2007
Heaven or Hell
Is there any good advice to using your iPhone Abroad in Europe without
being charged through the nose....?

What should i do at cafes if i just want to surf the internet..?

and to receive calls in Europe how much is that ?

thanks!

mouchoir

macrumors 6502a
Apr 29, 2004
London, UK
Is there any good advice to using your iPhone Abroad in Europe without
being charged through the nose....?

What should i do at cafes if i just want to surf the internet..?

and to receive calls in Europe how much is that ?

thanks!

I went from Europe to the US in January and avoided any real change in my bill.

As the above poster says –*turn off data roaming –*this is the big money saver. Data roaming charges can be outrageous.

You just need to be disciplined and hold out for any FREE Wifi hotspots, of which you will find in most major cities. Use those opportunities to check mail and surf.

Regarding receiving calls, you need to check with your service provider for a list of rates.

yoman

macrumors 6502a
Nov 11, 2003
In the Bowels of the Cosmos
If you are with AT&T you can temporarily subscribe to a travel plan for a month at a time. I think its around an additional $25-30 but it cuts down on the phone charges substantially and allows you to use data up to a certain cap limit.

skwoytek

macrumors 6502a
Feb 15, 2005
So, Is it possible to use the iPhone as an iPod Touch....
when abroad in Europe ? ( to avoid the data roaming charges )

As the other people have said, yes.

If you are trying to avoid data roaming charges...

Settings -> General -> Network -> Data Roaming:Off

hondje

macrumors member
Oct 14, 2007
South Bend, IN
Unlock iPhone or Use RAZR

I have a similar question. I'm flying to the Netherlands for a week. I do have a T-Mobile SIM for the Netherlands, as I lived there for a year, and still have a plan there (just call time). Wondering if it is worth unlocking my phone for this and then relock it when I return. I'm running 1.1.4. How would I go about unlocking it? Or would it be better to just use my old unlocked RAZR and use the iPhone as an iPod? Thanks for your help.

carfac

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2006
I have a similar question. I'm flying to the Netherlands for a week. I do have a T-Mobile SIM for the Netherlands, as I lived there for a year, and still have a plan there (just call time). Wondering if it is worth unlocking my phone for this and then relock it when I return. I'm running 1.1.4. How would I go about unlocking it? Or would it be better to just use my old unlocked RAZR and use the iPhone as an iPod? Thanks for your help.

For you, I would recommend unlocking. The OP looked like they did not need/want phone service while there, so unlocking did not seem like a good proposition for him. For you, though, you seem to need ot want phone service- the only way is to unlock. Then you should be just fine.

Unlocks have come a long way-you CAN reverse them if you want "no trace" left". I would recommend the iPlus unlock for you, they d/g the BL to 3.9, but with a special hack so you can upgrade it back to 4.6 when you are done. (I am not sure HOW to upgrade it back- that is a GOOD question!)

For me, since I am T-Mo in the US, I am just get a local pre-paid when I am over in Europe. Seemless.

zainjetha

macrumors 6502a
Aug 11, 2007
unlock it and then when you return restore and re-activate with ur old sim again.. nobody will ever know the difference....

hondje

macrumors member
Oct 14, 2007
South Bend, IN
Well that seems to make sense. iPlus says it is completely reversible. Has anyone tried reversing it? Safe? Seems a lot more fun than using my RAZR! Thanks for the help.

fab5freddy

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 21, 2007
Heaven or Hell
that is true that i don't want to pay huge roaming costs while abroad,

but it would still be nice to be able to make super short calls and receive some short calls as well while over in europe, but the data charges are what i am afraid of........

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.