Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Volante

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 8, 2008
Hi, I am wondering where i can find the etc/smb.conf-file or the directory for that matter.

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
Uh.. you already know the path. /etc.

But it's not viewable from the Finder by default. Those are hidden directories. So you should consider using the command line interface of the terminal to view and edit.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
Surprisingly enough Finder -> Go -> Go to Folder can take you to hidden folders if you know the path.

I'm still unsure of auto complete works in Leopard or not.

Volante

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 8, 2008
Thx! New problem. I get that i dont have enough rights to save the file?

Volante

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 8, 2008
Hehe, I am a switcher. =) I need to add

socket options = TCP_NODELAY IPTOS_LOWDELAY

to fix my smb-transfer so i can get over my data =). I guess i need to edit as root? But, hmm?

Volante

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 8, 2008
Ehm, can't i edit the file without resort to terminal, that feels like a step in the wrong direction.

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
Well, a large focus of Mac OS X is to produce a very powerful OS that also protects the users from themselves. So, knowing about using root, or the command line is a good way to do that for advanced tasks.

Volante

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 8, 2008
I guess will learn that in time as I work as a webdeveloper. I solved my transfer speed by using a drop box and a second xp machine to do the actual transfer. 68 minutes instead of 9h four 20 gig data.

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
I must admit. I prefer pico (and now nano) over vi. All I remember of vi is how to get out of it. :)

Remember, you can't spell "evil" without "vi"! ;)

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
I must admit. I prefer pico (and now nano) over vi. All I remember of vi is how to get out of it. :)

Remember, you can't spell "evil" without "vi"! ;)
Let's not drag onto too far about our text editors.

Code:
sudo pico /etc/smb.conf

That command will give you permission to make changes to /etc/smb.conf and a rather friendly text editor called pico (nano).

Please make sure you really know what you're doing.

Code:
 We trust you have received the usual lecture from the local System
 Administrator. It usually boils down to these three things:

#1) Respect the privacy of others.
    #2) Think before you type.
    #3) With great power comes great responsibility.

richard.mac

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2007
51.50024, -0.12662
whats the difference between nano and pico? i just use nano as it sounds more "Applely"

i must admit its easier to use a text editor in the Terminal for files that have sudo permissions but for other files i just drag them into TextEdit. keeping TextEdit in the dock is useful to!

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
whats the difference between nano and pico? i just use nano as it sounds more "Applely"

i must admit its easier to use a text editor in the Terminal for files that have sudo permissions but for other files i just drag them into TextEdit. keeping TextEdit in the dock is useful to!
nano is a clone of pico. My experience is only with vi, not vim, and pico.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.