Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

anamznazn

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 10, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
I'm looking to buy a necklace/pendant for myself since I've been wanting one for awhile. The one I want is from Tiffany & Co. but I'm just wondering how their sterling silver quality is like. Has anybody ever had any experience with them...good or bad? I'm just afraid the necklace will lose its color in a short period of time or so.

23318911_M_OVER_1.jpg

http://www.tiffany.com/Shopping/Ite...params=s+5-p+1-c+288170-r+-x+-n+6-ri+-ni+0-t+

wvuwhat

macrumors 65816
Sep 26, 2007
I'm looking to buy a necklace/pendant for myself since I've been wanting one for awhile. The one I want is from Tiffany & Co. but I'm just wondering how their sterling silver quality is like. Has anybody ever had any experience with them...good or bad? I'm just afraid the necklace will lose its color in a short period of time or so.
http://www.tiffany.com/Shopping/Ite...params=s+5-p+1-c+288170-r+-x+-n+6-ri+-ni+0-t+

I used a good amount of money to buy my mom earrings and of course she had no idea what Tiffany was, she thought it was a Wal-Mart brand or something. That made me mad, but I let her know that it wasn't an off-brand. Hopefully one day she'll realize. Anyway, I bought my GF a heart pendant 3 years ago and it's going very strong. She cleans it, but I don't know how exactly...

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
Maybe it's just cause I came from the Lost thread...

Is there any significance to the III VI XII and III VI IX (3 6 12 and 3 6 9)?

B

asrmatt

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2006
Rome, Italy
In the last three years I bought for my GF a Tiffany pendant, a bracelet and even a couple of rings. Never had any problem... Go with it

ErikCLDR

macrumors 68000
Jan 14, 2007
My mom and sister both had a pair of silver ball shaped earrings that dented in but Tiffany & Co. replaced them. They have some other stuff from there and I haven't heard any other complaints.

anamznazn

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 10, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
I think Tiffany will also clean your silver free for life (or very cheaply).

I just bought it. :p Big hit on the wallet tho, ehh...and oh, it's $15 bucks for them to clean it. I wonder what's the diff. between me buying cleaning products and them cleaning it. Anyone care to specify?

CalBoy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2007
I've only ever had breakfast at Tiffany's. :p (what, no one was going to make that comment? :p)

I wonder what's the diff. between me buying cleaning products and them cleaning it. Anyone care to specify?

They likely have better cleaning products and tools, and their workers probably know the right techniques to make your stuff really look nice.

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
Good quality but massively over priced. You are paying a lot of money fore the name Tiffany.

I can think of some other brands that you get a much better quality to price ratio.

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
I just bought it. :p
Teehee. Congrats. Feels nice to have some nice stuff on, eh? :D I couldn't stop glowing the first time I got a Tiffany pendant.

... and oh, it's $15 bucks for them to clean it. I wonder what's the diff. between me buying cleaning products and them cleaning it. Anyone care to specify?
Yes, technically they charge to clean, but when I've gone in to peek around I'll mention it offhandedly and they'll often offer to do it for free anyway. Truth be told, a lot of jeweler's just do a quick rub-down with cloths that have been treated with cleaners and stuff.

For silver, there are specific products that are out there, readily bought from say Bed, Bath & Beyond or Linens-n-Things such as the liquid-y solutions. There are pricier treated cloths. Do yourself a favor, and get the cloths. :D The solutions stink, they get crusty around the rim, and they're just a pain, you've gotta rinse it off afterwards and ugh. They stink. Literally. They smell bad.

Good quality but massively over priced. You are paying a lot of money fore the name Tiffany.
Not just the name!!! :mad:

That... gorgeous... blue bag. The lovely blue box. White. Ribbon. Little suede pouch.

*drools*

:D

Phat Elvis

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2005
Phila, PA
I bought my wife a silver necklace from Tiffany's. Their prices are really not that bad for silver. They were really good about taking care of it - she kept getting knots in the chain and they kept fixing it. Of course they were always really nice too.

Sadly, no store will replace a necklace that is lost...

Applespider

macrumors G4
Nothing really bad could ever happen at Tiffanys. They are unfailingly polite and helpful whether you're in looking at diamonds or at their basic silver ranges.

Some of their trademark 'heart' ranges have become a little overused - or over bought - which has cheapened it slightly.

Having said that, I've had some equally nice but more unusual pieces from local designers fresh out of art college.

Adokimus

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2007
Boston, MA
Everyone I have ever bought Tiffany's for has loved it. You're paying for a brand, and for a blue box, but all jewelry costs more than it's "worth" in my opinion. I wouldn't get it for myself, but if it makes the women in my life happy... well, there you go. That is worth the price. I should add that I like Tiffany designs much better than something you might find at a generic jeweler in the mall. Also, they seem to stand by their products and fix them if anything goes wrong. But, I think they are pretty decent quality as far as that goes.

As for cleaning... do it yourself. Saves time and money. You should probably use a cheap cleaning kit, but my gf cleans her sterling silver Tiffany's jewelry with windex. And the woman in the Tiffany's store commented on how brilliant and shiny she kept them before she found out it was windex (then she gave a nose up kind of look).

Peace.

jaydub

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2006
I've got this ring, and it has been really nice.

f8c5_1.JPG

Of course, I got it from my ex-wife, so now I refuse to wear it. :D

marykay9507

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2008
I love Tiffany's-- their service is awesome!!

I have only gotten my stuff cleaned there once-- had to leave it there for a few days and it was a bit of an inconvenience-- since I have a bit of a collection from them, I purchased a silver cleaning cloth (as devilot suggested) and usually clean the jewelry every other month or so-- the liquid solution is good if I have slacked off and the stuff has a lot of tarnish, but it tends to smell pretty bad and for some of the pieces is more of a bother than I care to deal with!

thebassoonist

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2007
Davis, CA
I have a lot of silver jewelry from Tiffany's and it is great! I bought a locket a few years back and the hinge got bent. They repaired it for free, I just had to pay to ship it to New York. I love every piece I've gotten -- and they are totally timeless so my first Tiffany piece (a chain bracelet) that I got seven years ago is still in style!

thebassoonist

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2007
Davis, CA
I just bought it. :p Big hit on the wallet tho, ehh...and oh, it's $15 bucks for them to clean it. I wonder what's the diff. between me buying cleaning products and them cleaning it. Anyone care to specify?

You can actually buy their silver cleaning polish. That's what I use.

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
I'll let you in a little secret. Almost all jewelry type items have a huge markup regardless of the store. Even the cheap ones. That is the nature of the business.

I think for many individuals the packaging is worth something as well. That is where places like Tiffany do well.

mactastic

macrumors 68040
Apr 24, 2003
Colly-fornia
I'll let you in a little secret. Almost all jewelry type items have a huge markup regardless of the store. Even the cheap ones. That is the nature of the business.
I keep telling my wife that, but she still insists on pricing her pieces based upon material cost and a discounted hourly rate. Handmade jewelery is expensive, custom pieces even more so.

wongulous

macrumors 6502a
Dec 7, 2002
T&Co have one of the most amazing customer service and retail service levels you will ever experience, above and beyond even other high-end jewelers, which would typically be pretty great. If anything goes wrong, they WILL bend over backwards for you, and might loop back around even. I highly recommend.

Of course, all jewelry is overpriced. An ounce of silver is like $18 right now. Now, if only you could (a) get silver in appropriate quantities, (b) melt it, (c) design something, (d) turn that into a mold, (e) polish a sterling silver finish, (f) guarantee it for life, etc etc etc... it would make sense to even talk about that. But as it stands, luxury jewelry is a luxury BECAUSE of all of that work that goes into it, not even counting the mystique, the history, the exclusivity, the marketing, the packaging, everything else... it's not easy for people that would wear the jewelry to make it themselves.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.