Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

VoodooDaddy

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 14, 2003
Wanting to move a large number of files via ethernet from an older macbook to a newer one. Dont want to user MA either.

I know Ive seen it said that you can do this using Appletalk, but now I cant find any info about it. Googling, I only came up with links dealing with pc -> mac transfer, or old info, like g3 imac -> imac, that type of thing.

Seems when I saw this it said to use Appletalk from the network settings. Is that all it takes? Do I just check 'make appetalk active'? As far as the 'appletalk zone', what goes there? And I assume 'configure automatically' is the best selection there.

Or....Is there a better way not using appletalk?

mackindergarten

macrumors 6502
Feb 21, 2008
Hi,

I suggest, you just use static IP addresses on both machines. Use a standard Ethernet cable to connect the both.

Connect via Finder.
Transfer files.

This should do it. There are a couple of other threads on this topic as well.

Hope this was helpful.

/Rupert

VoodooDaddy

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 14, 2003
Hi,

I suggest, you just use static IP addresses on both machines. Use a standard Ethernet cable to connect the both.

Connect via Finder.
Transfer files.

This should do it. There are a couple of other threads on this topic as well.

Hope this was helpful.

/Rupert

Where would I find the static IP address for each machine? And where would I enter that information in? And lastly, would I have to have file sharing checked or no?

mackindergarten

macrumors 6502
Feb 21, 2008
Alright,
here we go:

* Connect both Mac, using a standard network cable

Mac #1:
* Open up System Preferences > Network
* Choose Ethernet, and select Manually instead of Using DHCP.
* Set the IP address to 192.168.0.1, Subnet Mask to 255.255.255.0

Mac #2:
* Same as above, IP address 192.168.0.2

Now you should see the other Mac in the Finder sidebar. As said before, use the Public folder on each Mac to share files and folders.

This should do it, tell me if you need more help.

/Rupert

Le Big Mac

macrumors 68030
Jan 7, 2003
Washington, DC
Just throw the stuff in your Public folder and file share it. Done.

Ya. Or dump it in the other macbook's dropbox.

Or screen share (Leopard only, but can control Tiger) from one macbook to the other and log in with your own account--then you can pull from anywhere, not just public folder. No need for static IP or complex servers or anything.

Italchef

macrumors 6502
Nov 3, 2003
Maple, Ontario
Or screen share (Leopard only, but can control Tiger) from one macbook to the other and log in with your own account--then you can pull from anywhere, not just public folder. No need for static IP or complex servers or anything.

I was trying to do this to transfer my iTunes and iPhoto libraries. This is from an iMac to a Macbook. I was able to control the macbook's screen but not able to transfer the files. Any idea why?

Mick

mackindergarten

macrumors 6502
Feb 21, 2008
Using a direct connection between both Macbooks gives you a Gigabit network connection (= fast). This will save a slot of time, if you have a lot of files to transfer.
If you only have a bunch of small files, go for the Public folder or the Screen Sharing solutions mentioned here.

/Rupert

VoodooDaddy

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 14, 2003
Will need to try the method mackindergarten tomorrow. Today however, I connected both together, turned on file sharing on both, allowed read/write access to both. Put files in the public folder. When I tried to move them over was getting some errors saying I "didnt have sufficient privledges." I gave up and just moved over what I could.

mackindergarten

macrumors 6502
Feb 21, 2008
Hi,

if you have a connection, you don't need to do "my method" it's only for getting a connection between both Macs.

As for file permissions, Open Info of the Public Folder (command-I), click the lock to unlock and set the right permissions.

Click on the cog wheel icon and select Apply to Enclosed Items.

/Rupert

christoinferno

macrumors newbie
Mar 27, 2010
Am I missing something?

Alright,
here we go:

Mac #1:

Mac #2:

Now you should see the other Mac in the Finder sidebar. As said before, use the Public folder on each Mac to share files and folders.

/Rupert

I tried this, following the directions exactly, a few times. I even restarted each time I made a change, just in case. Nada. Virtually nothing happened. Is there more to this?

impossiblyfree

macrumors newbie
Dec 15, 2010
rupert, thanks for taking the time to explain this. just reconfigured my network and needed to move a 20gb file to my macbook from the desktop. estimated time, 8 hours. i searched for a direct connection via ethernet and found this thread. 3 minutes remaining.

ano0oj

macrumors 6502
Apr 20, 2010
Alright,
here we go:

Mac #1:

Mac #2:

/Rupert

thank you good sir!
13gb transfer in 7 minutes

DavisEngeler

macrumors member
Jan 24, 2010
Great!

Alright,
here we go:

Mac #1:

Mac #2:

/Rupert

Thanks for this post and the help. Worked perfect for me on the first try with no problem. 48GB in 14-15 minutes.

CalTex

macrumors newbie
Apr 22, 2011
If I am trying to transfer data from a pc to a mac does the method above also work?

Nov 28, 2010
located
If I am trying to transfer data from a pc to a mac does the method above also work?

You can connect a Windows PC (if that is what you meant with "pc") to a Mac via Ethernet and if File Sharing is enabled, you can share files between the computers. There might be a guide on how to do this out there.

pajhonka

macrumors newbie
Jan 23, 2009
Alright,
here we go:

Mac #1:

Mac #2:

/Rupert

Worked for me also, thank you!

Don't forget to go to "Sharing" in System Preferences and turn on "File Sharing."

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.