Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bstreiff

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 14, 2008
In Terminal:
Code:
defaults write com.apple.NetworkBrowser EnableODiskBrowsing -bool true
defaults write com.apple.NetworkBrowser ODSSupported -bool true
... and reboot.

I've gotten it to work on both a Mac mini and my Blackbook (screenshot of the latter below).

Attachments

• remote-disc-on-macbook.png
    remote-disc-on-macbook.png
    70.6 KB · Views: 2,955
  • Love
Reactions: RandomDSdevel

aaronw1986

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2006
Or....you can just go into "Sharing" under system preferences and choose "DVD or CD sharing"

callmemike20

macrumors 6502a
Aug 21, 2007
USA
Is there a way to find out if this command worked? I don't see any remote disks on my school network.

bstreiff

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 14, 2008
Yeah, the 'DVD/CD sharing' is just the server-side. The client is what is normally restricted to the Air, and that's what those preferences enable.

DVD/CD sharing is off by default; I haven't seen any other random machines at my campus with it on. I have gotten it to work between machines I have, though.

compuguy1088

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2007
In the Sub-Basement of Solitude
In Terminal:
Code:
defaults write com.apple.NetworkBrowser EnableODiskBrowsing -bool true
defaults write com.apple.NetworkBrowser ODSSupported -bool true
... and reboot.

I've gotten it to work on both a Mac mini and my Blackbook (screenshot of the latter below).

Lol! fenchurch, hotblack, zaphod....I see your a fan of the Hitchhikers Guide to the galaxy :D

Your missing FordPrefect!

bstreiff

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 14, 2008
Lol! fenchurch, hotblack, zaphod....I see your a fan of the Hitchhikers Guide to the galaxy :D

Your missing FordPrefect!

I had a prefect once; it was a laptop I had long ago.

Oh, and I don't actually have an iMac, Mac Pro, or XServe just lying around-- those three are Linux boxes and, since I wasn't too keen about them showing up with the BSOD icon, I made avahi send out the appropriate _device-info keys over Bonjour.

Not that I would be terribly opposed to having an iMac, Mac Pro, and/or XServe just lying around, of course... :)

Mal

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2002
Orlando
BTW, it appears to work without rebooting, I simply relaunched the Finder and it came right up.

jW

compuguy1088

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2007
In the Sub-Basement of Solitude
I had a prefect once; it was a laptop I had long ago.

Oh, and I don't actually have an iMac, Mac Pro, or XServe just lying around-- those three are Linux boxes and, since I wasn't too keen about them showing up with the BSOD icon, I made avahi send out the appropriate _device-info keys over Bonjour.

Not that I would be terribly opposed to having an iMac, Mac Pro, and/or XServe just lying around, of course... :)

I wouldn't name your server hotblack....unless it is truly on death support :D.

bstreiff

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 14, 2008
I wouldn't name your server hotblack....unless it is truly on death support :D.

It kinda is. It's an old IBM Netvista that is, well, black. It uses some sort of custom-form-factor power supply, however, and since I wasn't really keen on the idea of ponying up $110 for a new power supply, I instead took a SPX-style power supply and shortened the case to make it fit in the space where I would have the CD drive (were I the sort of person who used CD drives for more than OS installs.) One consequence of this is that the airflow is a bit different now, so the machine runs a little hotter. I'm not too sure how much hotter (no temperature sensors), though it's been working fine like this for the past year. I try not to do anything too CPU-intensive for long periods of time, just in case.

So, well, it's hot and black. Seemed like a natural choice. ;D

HawaiiMacAddict

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2006
On one of my Macs of course
Aloha everyone,

Has anyone successfully played a movie on the client using Remote Disc? I tried to do just that today - loaded a movie in my iMac to play on my MacBook Pro - but no joy. I was able to read from both a CD and a DVD, however, but have yet to attempt a write test.

How far have any of you gotten thus far? Also, for those of you who have the MacBook Air, can you play a movie on the Air via Remote Disc on a 2nd Mac? I'm interested in finding the limits of Remote Disc.

HawaiiMacAddict

jackiecanev2

macrumors 65816
Jul 6, 2007
Anyone know how to get this going in 10.5.5? Since I upgraded, my remote disc doesn't work anymore... (on my not-air).

bstreiff

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 14, 2008
Anyone know how to get this going in 10.5.5? Since I upgraded, my remote disc doesn't work anymore... (on my not-air).

That's strange; it works fine for me in 10.5.5.

Is it simply not showing up in Finder, or is it failing when you're actually trying to use it?

jackiecanev2

macrumors 65816
Jul 6, 2007
It's just not showing up at all. It was working fine before, but now... no dice. Remote sharing is on on my min and MBP, but the not-air doesn't see anything anymore. :confused:

ViM

macrumors regular
Nov 7, 2006
Australia
i can see the remote disc but the problem is that i am left just with a "waiting for disc" screen. Is it just my slow wifi?

ltldrummerboy

macrumors 68000
Oct 15, 2007
I know this is an old thread, but I just wanted to say that I got a refurbished Nvidia Mac mini and it had remote disc enabled by default. It can see discs I put in my iMac and MacBook. I have no idea why this is since I have a SuperDrive in it already. Still cool if not very useful to me.

permutated

macrumors member
Jan 23, 2008
Hey guys,

Been scouring the internet forever for this, just wanted to let you all know this still works.

Make sure the "ODS" line in terminal is a capital O and not a zero.

Cheers!

shaq95n

macrumors newbie
Apr 21, 2009
How do i get rid of it

how do i get rid of the remote disk
it stays on my mac even though dvd/cd sharing is turned off:confused:

skottichan

macrumors 65816
Oct 23, 2007
Columbus, OH
how do i get rid of the remote disk
it stays on my mac even though dvd/cd sharing is turned off:confused:
I also hate to resurrect a dead thread, but I'd like to know this too. I had an iMac that had a dead optical drive, enabled this to serve as a stopgap measure, and when I did a Mac-to-Mac transfer with my new computer, it came along for the ride. I tried swapping 'false' for 'true' and entering the two Terminal commands to no avail. And strangely enough, I have the little arrow in the upper right corner on the iMac but not on my MacBookPro, when it has the Terminal commands inputted to enable sharing. I've also cycled sharing on and off and rebooted in between on both machines, and I still have it only on the iMac and not on the MacBookPro.

Anyone have any suggestions?

blackboxxx

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2008
I'd like to report that as of 10.6.7, ODSSupported is unnecessary – just enabling EnableODiskBrowsing is enough.

And here's a tip on how to get rid of "Remote Disc" in the sidebar:
  1. open com.apple.sidebarlists.plist in Property List Editor (comes with Xcode) or your favourite plist editor
  2. expand systemitems and VolumesList nodes
  3. find the node that corresponds to Remote Disc (typically the last one)
  4. add a string item "Visibility" = "NeverVisible"
  5. save and log out.

After following these steps you can still access Remote Disc by going to Computer (⇧⌘C) and selecting "Remote Disc".

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.