Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

trev

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 11, 2006
St. John's, NL
when I go in Disk Utility I can format it using either of the following:

Mac OS Extended (Journaled)
Mac OS Extended
Mac OS Extended (Case-senitive, Journaled)
Mac OS Extended (Case-senitive)
MS-DOS (FAT)

What should I choose? what are the differences here?

TEG

macrumors 604
Jan 21, 2002
Langley, Washington
Extend Journaled (HFS+) is the safest format. If you are going to sharing with a Windows or Linux syste use MS-DOS format (FAT32).

DO NOT use the Case-Sensitive formats unless you will be doing a lot with UNIX software, as few Mac applications use it correctly.

TEG

Neil321

macrumors 68040
when I go in Disk Utility I can format it using either of the following:

Mac OS Extended (Journaled)
Mac OS Extended
Mac OS Extended (Case-senitive, Journaled)
Mac OS Extended (Case-senitive)
MS-DOS (FAT)

What should I choose? what are the differences here?

For just OS X use Mac extended ( journaled ) if for both OS X and windows use MS-DOS ( FAT )

edit damn that TEG is fast

trev

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 11, 2006
St. John's, NL
is there an advantage to using Mac OS Extended (Journaled) rather than MS-DOS (FAT)? I mean, I don't intend to use it on a Pee Cee, but just incase I do I'd rather be safe than sorry, unless again, there is an advantage to using os journaled.

Neil321

macrumors 68040
is there an advantage to using Mac OS Extended (Journaled) rather than MS-DOS (FAT)? I mean, I don't intend to use it on a Pee Cee, but just incase I do I'd rather be safe than sorry, unless again, there is an advantage to using os journaled.

I'd format HFS+ for now,if you ever decide to use bootcamp you can always partition part of it for
windows and use MS-DOS ( FAT ) so both OS's have r/w capabilities

TEG

macrumors 604
Jan 21, 2002
Langley, Washington

FAT32 does not preserver permissions that HFS+ and other *NIX systems support. As a result, you can have problems moving things back and forth to the external drive.

TEG

trev

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 11, 2006
St. John's, NL
hmmm... When I try formatting using Mac OS Extended (Journaled) I get the following error

pic1.png

Any ideas what might be causing this?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.