Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jericho53

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 5, 2006
Center of the Universe
I enrolled in a photoshop class for one of my electives in college. Will CS3 run well on my iMac G4 listed in my profile. Adobe lists a G4 in its system requirements. Just curious about how well it actually runs. Thanks.

IgnatiusTheKing

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2007
Texas
I enrolled in a photoshop class for one of my electives in college. Will CS3 run well on my iMac G4 listed in my profile. Adobe lists a G4 in its system requirements. Just curious about how well it actually runs. Thanks.

If the "512" is 512 MB RAM then you need to upgrade. 1GB is the minimum and I would suggest you have at least 2GB.

jericho53

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 5, 2006
Center of the Universe
Both CS3 Design Premium and Design Standard require you to have 1GB of RAM. The installer won't even run without it.

This quote below says Macintosh

PowerPC® G4 or G5 or multicore Intel processor
Mac OS X v10.4.8-10.5 (Leopard)
512MB of RAM
64MB of video RAM
2GB of available hard-disk space (additional free space required during installation)
1,024x768 monitor resolution with 16-bit video card
DVD-ROM drive
QuickTime 7 software required for multimedia features
Internet or phone connection required for product activation
Broadband Internet connection required for Adobe Stock Photos* and other services

I intend on upgrading my ram. I need to anyway.

IgnatiusTheKing

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2007
Texas
This quote below says Macintosh

512MB of RAM
64MB of video RAM
2GB of available hard-disk space (additional free space required during installation)
DVD-ROM drive
QuickTime 7 software required for multimedia features
Broadband Internet connection required for Adobe Stock Photos* and other services

I intend on upgrading my ram. I need to anyway.

Good lord I don't know where you are getting that, because the link I posted says:

Macintosh
Java™ Runtime Environment 1.5 required for Adobe Version Cue® CS3 Server
1GB of RAM
6.3GB of available hard-disk space (additional free space required during installation)
DVD-ROM drive
QuickTime 7.1.2 software required for multimedia features
Some 3D features in Adobe Photoshop CS3 Extended require an OpenGL 1.4 capable graphics card with at least 64MB of VRAM

IgnatiusTheKing

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2007
Texas
Okay, so you're just going to be running Photoshop. Probably should have put that in your title. When I read CS3 I think of the whole suite, not just one part.

Good luck in your class.

tsd

macrumors regular
Aug 10, 2007
Pennsylvania
Yeah, it runs great on a PowerMac G4 933MHz with 1.5GB of RAM. Operations are slow in Photoshop, and some stuff in Illustrator, but it is usable. That said, I would recommend starting to save somehow to upgrade. You're gonna really feel that slow processor.

7on

macrumors 601
Nov 9, 2003
Dress Rosa
Well I think he should look into the suite:

Photoshop w/ edu - $299.98
CS3 Web Suite w/ edu - $499.98

And you get all these apps :
Adobe Dreamweaver CS3
Adobe Flash Pro CS3
Adobe Photoshop CD3 Extended
Adobe Illustrator CS3
Adobe Fireworks CS3
Adobe Acrobat Pro 8
Adobe Contribute CS3

Though of course if you're just sticking to ps then it doesn't make sense to spend the extra $200, but it is $200 well spent.

IgnatiusTheKing

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2007
Texas
Well I think he should look into the suite:

Photoshop w/ edu - $299.98
CS3 Web Suite w/ edu - $499.98

And you get all these apps :
Adobe Dreamweaver CS3
Adobe Flash Pro CS3
Adobe Photoshop CD3 Extended
Adobe Illustrator CS3
Adobe Fireworks CS3
Adobe Acrobat Pro 8
Adobe Contribute CS3

Though of course if you're just sticking to ps then it doesn't make sense to spend the extra $200, but it is $200 well spent.

Depends on what he's going to do. For the same price, Design Premium, which is what people like me (who do mostly print work) use, gets you:

Adobe Photoshop CS3 Extended
Adobe Illustrator CS3
Adobe InDesign CS3
Adobe Acrobat 8 Professional
Adobe Dreamweaver CS3
Adobe Flash Pro CS3

7on

macrumors 601
Nov 9, 2003
Dress Rosa
Depends on what he's going to do. For the same price, Design Premium, which is what people like me (who do mostly print work) use, gets you:

Adobe Photoshop CS3 Extended
Adobe Illustrator CS3
Adobe InDesign CS3
Adobe Acrobat 8 Professional
Adobe Dreamweaver CS3
Adobe Flash Pro CS3

Yeah I tried to find the print collection but I couldn't find it on JourneyED. I'm still kicking around CS1

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California

A 1.25Ghz G4 is still a reasonable machine. Not fast but good enough to run CS3 for homework assignments. However RAM is now so cheap that you should just buy the full amount of RAM to max out the iMac. 512MB is very minimal for tiger and PS CS3. Adding more RAM with keep the iMac usfull for a long time

flrazor

macrumors member
Jun 29, 2004
Saint Paul, MN
Both CS3 Design Premium and Design Standard require you to have 1GB of RAM. The installer won't even run without it.

It will run, but it will warn you that you are below the line for requested memory. I'm running CS3 Design Premium on a G4 tower (dual 1GHz MDD) with 768 MB RAM here at work and it's all good. A couple of our machines have under 1 GB and it works, though it's not what I'd consider the best performance. My personal Macs all have 1GB+ RAM and they skate all over what I work with. I'd LOVE to have more RAM, but I know that I won't be getting any upgrades anytime soon. :rolleyes: So it's not impossible, but I would not recommend it give the choice.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.