Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jddb77

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 6, 2007
I recently attached a firewire hard drive to my mini running 10.5.2 and as soon as I turn it on it causes the section of the menu bar where the clock/Wifi signal/spaces/bluetooth status icons are to blink!!?? Also, and coincidentally, this drive doesn't appear in Time Machine as a location for backup. That was the whole reason I connected it in the first place....Any ideas / suggestions?

aross99

macrumors 68000
Dec 17, 2006
East Lansing, MI
Does the drive show up on your desktop?

You probably need to format it if it is brand new. For it to work with Time Machine, you need to format it as Mac OS Extended (Journaled), and set the partition type correctly.

Note that formatting your drive will erase ALL files on it...

If it is an intel Mini, make sure the partition type it set to GUID, if it is a PPC Mini, set the partition type to "Apple Partition Map". As I recall, you get to the partition setting by changing the partition from "Current" to 1, and then clicking on options.

Set the partition type BEFORE you format the drive.

You do all of this in Disk Utility in your Applications/Utilities folder.

After that, see if it shows up on your desktop, and is available for Time Machine.

Not sure about the "blinking menu bar" part...

jddb77

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 6, 2007
follow-up

Also, when I try to eject the drive, I get this error message: The disk is in use and could not be ejected.
huh?

jddb77

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 6, 2007
it does appear on my desktop, and see above what happens when I try to eject

I'm going to reformat now...thanks for the advice. we shall see....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.