Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

huhwtfisthis?

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 21, 2008
I have a macbook and don't want to waste any unnecessary space by having both safari and firefox on my laptop. i want to keep firefox because i use adobe illustrator and for some reason i can only bring pictures into illustrator from the internet when i use firefox, so i was just wondering if it is okay to completely remove safari from my mac or will it mess up my MacBook?

TEG

macrumors 604
Jan 21, 2002
Langley, Washington
You ALWAYS want a backup browser. You can remove it, because unlike IE it isn't part of the OS, but I would NOT recommend it.

TEG

kuwisdelu

macrumors 65816
Jan 13, 2008
I'm not sure how safe it is. I think you should be okay, but I must suggest removing some other things before Safari. Safari really isn't all that big, so you won't be seeing a whole lot of room freed up from it's removal. And like TEG said, it's always good to have a backup browser (yes, even a backup to Firefox).

Besides, there are much better things to delete: If you really want to get some space back from OS X's default install, remove Garage Band loops, printer drivers you don't need, and superfluous languages. I'm not sure on the best way to do this, but look around here for guides or Google it. Deleting those will give you several good GB back--much, much more than deleting Safari would.

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
Yes, there are no issues with removing it, but it doesn't really have that large of a footprint so I wouldn't worry about it too much. It's always good to have a back-up browser just in case you run into an issue with Firefox (although I can't think of any instance when that has actually happened to myself! ;) )

Regardless, yes, if you choose to remove it you will not encounter any problems.

riscy

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2008
China
Safari takes up ~60MB on the HD, not a great deal to just leave there as a backup.

Now if you uninstall the trial version of Windows Office suite that is another matter ;)

PYR0M310N

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2006
A while ago, my version of Safari stopped downloading anything without crashing the whole system, so it was lucky that i had netscape installed so i could sort out the problem. Would of being a lot more complicated without a backup browser.

Luckily the problem was solved with Safari 3

mkrad

macrumors member
Feb 14, 2008
Midwest, USA
Following Security Update 3-18-08, corrupt download wrecked the OS and required install disc repair. After repair, Safari still corrupt, so I trashed the program (just threw compass in the can) downloaded and installed new version, worked fine. Don't think you would be able to do that with any version of Internet Explorer.

macsrules

macrumors regular
Feb 26, 2008
I checked, it is only 10.8 Megs in size, if you are that tight for space, I think you might need an external hard drive.

clevin

macrumors G3
Aug 6, 2006
I checked, it is only 10.8 Megs in size, if you are that tight for space, I think you might need an external hard drive.
safari 3.1 is 61MB in size, where did u get that 10.8MB?

anyway, i agree its not that big when comes down to saving disk space.

macsrules

macrumors regular
Feb 26, 2008
I did a get info on safari in the applications folder and it comes up with 10.8 in size. Unless I am doing something wrong? Oh I just looked, I don't have the latest build I am on 3.0.4 my bad.

huhwtfisthis?

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 21, 2008
well i found a way to get images from safari into illustrator so i will keep using safari, i removed firefox due to the fact that it kept closing unexpectedly and was starting to make me really mad...thanks to those of you that replied

kuwisdelu

macrumors 65816
Jan 13, 2008
well i found a way to get images from safari into illustrator so i will keep using safari, i removed firefox due to the fact that it kept closing unexpectedly and was starting to make me really mad...thanks to those of you that replied

I'll save clevin the trouble and suggest that you download the latest beta of Firefox 3 and try that out. It's vastly improved over Firefox 2. Personally, I prefer Safari, too, but I keep Firefox around as well (and Camino and Opera). It's always good to have more than one browser.

smooth

macrumors 6502
Nov 12, 2007
Detroit
I used a program called Monolingual and got rid of all the languages except English. It freed up 5 GB.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.