Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mark88

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 30, 2004
Does this look right? I have only 1 finder window open and activity monitor says 1gb ram is in use

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    81.1 KB · Views: 374

mark88

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 30, 2004
I have, there just isn't anything that stands out. That list is ordered by memory usage. Finder is using the most. Here is the same screenshot but with Safari open as I am typing this message:

Attachments

• Picture 2.png
    Picture 2.png
    154.5 KB · Views: 262

mankar4

macrumors 6502a
Aug 23, 2007
USA
all this means is that you had other stuff open previously. Quitting a program doesn't clear that program's RAM cache.

mark88

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 30, 2004
I just feels like my macbook is always struggling. I'm forever getting the beach ball, delays when pressing buttons etc. Doing the simplest thing can cause a freeze and give me the ball.

JNB

macrumors 604
The amount of memory being used by the processes is fairly typical, but a huge problem is your page in-page out ratio--it's all out of whack. You ideally should have at least a 5:1 in to out, 10:1 or greater is preferred. I've attached yours (orange) and mine (green) for comparison. What's happening is huge volumes of data are being sent to the hard drive then recovered because there's not enough free RAM to do it, hence all the slowdowns.

Also, you're displaying only your user processes, not all processes. There's a lot hidden in the current display.

I'd add more memory; it's too cheap not to these days. A reboot wouldn't hurt, either, to clear all that out.

Attachments

• Picture 2.png 1215×716 pixels.jpg
    Picture 2.png 1215×716 pixels.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 120
  • Activity Monitor.jpg
    Activity Monitor.jpg
    13.6 KB · Views: 110

TuffLuffJimmy

macrumors G3
Apr 6, 2007
Portland, OR
I just feels like my macbook is always struggling. I'm forever getting the beach ball, delays when pressing buttons etc. Doing the simplest thing can cause a freeze and give me the ball.

If you use safari I would empty the cache. And if you want you could go and pick up 4gb of ram from newegg, unless you have an older macbook, then go for 2gb

mark88

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 30, 2004
I already have 2gb ram installed. I thought that would have been enough?

John, other than installing my memory and rebooting is there anything else I can do to stop so many page outs? I might try and reinstall.

Here's a shot of all processes.

Attachments

• Picture 3.png
    Picture 3.png
    158.1 KB · Views: 158

mark88

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 30, 2004
Also, isn't 2gb the max memory I can have in the first gen macbooks? crucial says so.

Jiddick ExRex

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2006
Roskilde, DK
Also, isn't 2gb the max memory I can have in the first gen macbooks? crucial says so.

You can try putting 4 GB in it. OS X will only recognize and utilize 3.3 though.

And yes, your macbook shouldn't be beachballing at all with 2 GB in it. Have you tried taking out a stick one at a time and see how it runs? It might be bad memory.

JNB

macrumors 604
I've got a 2.16 with 4GB, and I just don't worry about the "missing" 700MB. 3.3 is better than 2 (which is what I had), and my page outs show it. The quantity and ratio of page outs are the OP's problems WRT the beachball & delays. Periodic reboots aren't a bad thing, more memory is always good, and not having too many resource hogs installed and/or running constantly is best.

EDIT: OK, a quick experiment. I just opened 29 apps, including all the iLife stuff, Pages, Numbers, Keynote, Photoshop, GIMP, every processor- and memory-hungry app I could, and noodled around a little. Other than a increased fan and temp (6100 rpm, 157 F), it took it all, no complaints. And, interestingly enough, my remaining memory dropped to just over 500MB, indicating that I was taking up in one way or another a little over 3.5GB. So much for not addressing over 3.3. And, my page outs remained at zero. My recommendations stand.

Attachments

• Activity Monitor.jpg
    Activity Monitor.jpg
    14.8 KB · Views: 123
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.