Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

klymr

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 16, 2007
Utah
I am looking for a new desk because the one that I'm currently using is really getting on my nerves. It's an old computer desk that I repainted. It has the typical shelf off the the right of where the chair sits, and because of that I feel like the whole right side is wasted since I can't really reach that area. Right now I just leave my Wacom sitting over there, taking up even more space.

I really like the MILK DESK, but I'm sure it's just a little more than outta my price range. Plus I don't think they are shipping them to the US yet. Ikea has a work table that I really like really like, but they haven't had it in stock since before Christmas. It's a little crazy. So, that said, are there any suggestions as to where to look for a decent desk/workstation table? I don't want to spend too much on it, but want something that will function well. What are all of y'all using?

Cheffy Dave

macrumors 68030
I am looking for a new desk because the one that I'm currently using is really getting on my nerves. It's an old computer desk that I repainted. It has the typical shelf off the the right of where the chair sits, and because of that I feel like the whole right side is wasted since I can't really reach that area. Right now I just leave my Wacom sitting over there, taking up even more space.

I really like the MILK DESK, but I'm sure it's just a little more than outta my price range. Plus I don't think they are shipping them to the US yet. Ikea has a work table that I really like really like, but they haven't had it in stock since before Christmas. It's a little crazy. So, that said, are there any suggestions as to where to look for a decent desk/workstation table? I don't want to spend too much on it, but want something that will function well. What are all of y'all using?

Love my ANTHROCART :cool: http://www.anthro.com/

hsotnicam8002

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2008
United Kingdom
Live next door?

Why do so many people think that they are communicating with the person who lives next door (though they could shout out the window then anyway)? A link to Staples in Canada that is dead to anyone in the rest of the world is actually a worthless post as most people don't live in Canada! ;)

srl7741

macrumors 68020
Jan 19, 2008
GMT-6
I'm using this one, it's not very expensive and works well for a corner setup. I added the standard desks to each side extending everything out further making one large desk that covers both walls around the corner.

The screen shot does not really do the desk justice. It can be found on the Staples web site. Bush Cubix Collection. They come is various colors.
I did not purchase the keyboard slot, There is enough room on the desk surface for duel monitors and a keyboard without any problem.

jerryrock

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2007
Amsterdam, NY
I use a six foot long dining room table as my desk and workspace. This has been the best (and least expensive) solution that I have found to accommodate all of my equipment, still leaving space for laying out and comparing printed work.

klymr

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 16, 2007
Utah
I use a six foot long dining room table as my desk and workspace. This has been the best (and least expensive) solution that I have found to accommodate all of my equipment, still leaving space for laying out and comparing printed work.

Very good! I may have to go down to the thrift store and see what they got down there.

Techguy172

macrumors 68000
Feb 2, 2007
Ontario Canada
Why do so many people think that they are communicating with the person who lives next door (though they could shout out the window then anyway)? A link to Staples in Canada that is dead to anyone in the rest of the world is actually a worthless post as most people don't live in Canada! ;)

Staples is in the US too and so is that desk.

SASouth

macrumors member
Jan 7, 2006
I'm using this one, it's not very expensive and works well for a corner setup. I added the standard desks to each side extending everything out further making one large desk that covers both walls around the corner.

The screen shot does not really do the desk justice. It can be found on the Staples web site. Bush Cubix Collection. They come is various colors.
I did not purchase the keyboard slot, There is enough room on the desk surface for duel monitors and a keyboard without any problem.

I have this desk too and highly recommend it. The corner desk is just one part of a whole collection that includes several size of matching tables, hutches, file cabinets, etc. This is commercial grade stuff, and the nice thing is that it's relatively inexpensive.

I got mine at OfficeMax. The call it the Bush OfficePro Collection.

GreatDrok

macrumors 6502a
May 1, 2006
New Zealand
Just get a normal office style flat desk. All these computer desks are flimsy and crap. You don't need all that space to store CDROMs and the stupid little shelf for a keyboard is ghastly. A big flat desk gives you room to arrange you kit however you want and you move the keyboard to wherever is comfortable for you rather than where the designed thought it should be.

This is how my office looks.

Attachments

• Desk.jpg
    Desk.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 236

hsotnicam8002

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2008
United Kingdom
Just get a normal office style flat desk. All these computer desks are flimsy and crap. You don't need all that space to store CDROMs and the stupid little shelf for a keyboard is ghastly. A big flat desk gives you room to arrange you kit however you want and you move the keyboard to wherever is comfortable for you rather than where the designed thought it should be.

This is how my office looks.
I absolutely agree. Inevitably, one will want to use the desk for paperwork and room to put down at least two or three A4 sized pads or books, a pen tray and your telephone, is essential. The keyboard shelves are usually too low and can result in excessive head nodding, even for touch typists. I suppose one could store the keyboard on the shelf when more desk space is needed, but I would not treat a shelf as a priority. Good desktop space, the correct height desk for your own height and room to get your legs under the desk (without obstacles, especially sharp corners) together with a supportive, adjustable chair (maybe swivel) are the most important features.

Montie Da Champ

macrumors member
Mar 5, 2008
Also, Ikea has a desk called the "Fredrick" that might interest you. I use this desk and I love it.
imageuploadimageor0.jpg

this is what my setup looks like with this desk...

2344554778_0eb1f501be.jpg

2344554764_5015270d25.jpg

toughboy

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2003
Izmir, Turkey
IKEA has an awesome serie called Galant. You can modify it anyway you like, make different shapes and sizes according to your needs.. :)

GSMiller

macrumors 68000
Dec 2, 2006
Kentucky
I picked mine up at Big Lots Furniture...$89 and the only one they had was the one on display so I didn't have to assemble anything :D

nater.

macrumors member
Jul 11, 2006
I love ikea's stuff. I have a Jonas desk. It has this little slide out table. Comes pretty handy. Large enough to fit all I need - my Mac Pro, iBook on an Elevator, and some extra room.

I'd recommend anything from Ikea if you have a store close go check the stuff out. Easy to put together and pretty cheap.

digitalnicotine

macrumors 65816
Jan 11, 2008
USA
OP: After you hit your thrift shop, you may also consider looking into conference tables. I ended up getting a 96" conference table that spans a good portion of my wall. It was $236 shipped, and is very sturdy, right height, and easily accomodates my dual monitors, laptops, wacom tablet, speakers, etc. Just another inexpensive option. If you're interested, I'll go dig up the link. :)

mduser63

macrumors 68040
Nov 9, 2004
Salt Lake City, UT
IKEA has an awesome serie called Galant. You can modify it anyway you like, make different shapes and sizes according to your needs.. :)

This is my vote. I have one and love it. Looks pretty good, is sturdy and the height is adjustable (with the legs I've got) And it wasn't very expensive either.

klymr

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 16, 2007
Utah
This is the setup I want, but I've been waiting and watching for 4 months, and it hasn't been in stock at all during that time. Maybe I'll call and see for sure if it's out of stock. Maybe the website is just lying to me.

Vika Gruvan/Vika Artur from Ikea

60537_PE166645_S4.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.