Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

WolvenPrincess

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 23, 2008
I have a three-week old Macbook pro that I bought directly from my local Mac Store. It's been working beautifully until I started it up this morning that is. I had it muted from the night before when I was up late and didn't want to keep my roommate up with the noises from different applications, so I didn't think anything was wrong at first. Until I turned the sound on again. I pressed the volume control buttons several times, and the image came up on the screen and the volume indicators moved, but there was no sound.

I was kinda confused, so I opened up my iTunes to see if there was sound there. I pressed the play button, which immediately changed to the pause button and acted like it was going to play, but the play-head never even began to move.

I get no sound from any application whatsoever, no sound from headphones, or external speakers. I checked the system prefs and it is set for the internal speakers, and everything looks good on that end. I've been browsing different forums looking for an answer, but thus far have found nothing pertinent to my particular problem.

I should mention that just last night everything was working perfectly, before I muted it I was even watching a movie. Then later on I was messing around with the photo slide shows in FrontRow. The computer had been muted, but during the slide show the FrontRow music started up, so I hit the mute key and promptly silenced it. However, since then there has been no sound. I even tried going into FrontRow and attempting the same thing again, but to no avail.

Any help would be appreciated.

EDIT: I'm running Leopard OSX 10.5.2

Matari

macrumors member
Oct 30, 2007
Macbook pro - no sound

Hi

I got up this morning and found the same problem on my two year old Macbook Pro - I have no sound at all, and Itunes is not working. Anybody got any ideas?

e12a

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2006
I've encountered this problem once just a week ago. At first I thought I had a problem with the optical out turning on (which mutes onboard speakers) but that wasnt the case because I could still raise and lower the volume via the fn buttons (which are locked in optical out mode), yet there was still no sound in iTunes or VLC. No headphones attatched.

but, a restart fixed it. weird, it was the first time i've had it before. It might be the headphone jack, now that i think of it...

edit: but no actually, as i remember checking the sound preferences and it looked like the internal speakers were supposed to be used.

Knolly

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2007
What does the settings panel when you go to System Preferences > Sound look like?

e12a

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2006
for me at least, it said play sound through "internal speakers." so i think it was just a glitch.

Matari

macrumors member
Oct 30, 2007
macbook pro no sound - fixed

Hi

Restarted and everything was OK - it is a mystery...

cosmo67

macrumors newbie
Mar 20, 2008
WolvenPrincess I have exactly same issue - not sure if you solved yours yet. Am wondering if happened after installed 10.5.2? Hard to tell as I often have sound off but pretty sure I had sound back in Jan 08

Have macbook pro 15", installed 10.5.2 on 15.3.08. Have no sound on speakers, or headphones, or when I boot up in windows. Havent had it plugged into any external outputs and no red light showing in speaker jack. Tried PRAM reset and several reboots, no effect.

Really keen on some help before I head on into Apple store

Cheers
C.

e12a

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2006
Sounds like its going to need some diagnosing. Dont be afraid to take it in to the apple store. If it happens in OS X and Windows its definitely a hardware issue.

karmakvisser

macrumors newbie
Mar 19, 2008
Silver Spring, MD
headphones work?

I'm having a similar problem. 2.16 MBP 10.4.11 Sound pane show digital audio out for Sound output. It should show external speakers. What's really weird is that you hear the boot up chimes on startup. Headphones work but no sound emanates from the speakers. Tried multiple accounts, created new account, but no change.

I had another computer do that same thing. I took it apart, confirmed the speakers connections were properly seated on the mother board, put it back together and then the speakers started to work again. Go figure.

My question to you
1 - do headphones work?
2- do you hear the start up chimes?
3- what does your sound pane/output show?

best of luck

ken

nardeezy

macrumors newbie
Mar 22, 2008
my 1 yr old 2.16 Mbp is doing the same problem. It started 5 days ago. No red optical out light, iTunes won't play music, no sound with headphones or internal speakers, chimes on internal speakers on startup, no audio output on sound preference screen, etc. I never use headphones or external speakers. I have no indications of "safe mode". Help!

e12a

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2006
If it is still under warranty, you can take it to an AppleStore or provider and tell them about the problem. It could possibly be the I/O board that is bad.

nardeezy

macrumors newbie
Mar 22, 2008
If it is still under warranty, you can take it to an AppleStore or provider and tell them about the problem. It could possibly be the I/O board that is bad.

if the I/O board is bad, would I still hear the chime during startup?

nardeezy

macrumors newbie
Mar 22, 2008
currently, I am performing the apple hardware test (extended testing) to confirm that I do not have any hardware issues. If that passes, I will erase and re-install os x.

e12a

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2006
if the I/O board is bad, would I still hear the chime during startup?

yes. If you leave the computer unmuted before shutting it down or restarting it, it should chime even with a bad I/O board. Are these the diagnostics on the install DVD? I wouldnt rely too heavily on those...

nardeezy

macrumors newbie
Mar 22, 2008
yes. If you leave the computer unmuted before shutting it down or restarting it, it should chime even with a bad I/O board. Are these the diagnostics on the install DVD? I wouldnt rely too heavily on those...

Yes, but would a bad I/O board be detected during an extended apple hardware test?

MeSince83

macrumors newbie
Mar 10, 2008
Im having the same issue too!!!

If i look in the headphone socket there is a red light showing, whats weird is that it works with headphones and external speakers but the internal speakers are not working at all.

Anyone know how to solve this without wiping the OS and starting over?

n8c

macrumors regular
Jan 19, 2008
Im having the same issue too!!!

If i look in the headphone socket there is a red light showing, whats weird is that it works with headphones and external speakers but the internal speakers are not working at all.

Anyone know how to solve this without wiping the OS and starting over?

Use a paperclip or hairpin to gently "tickle" the inside of the headphone socket until the red light goes away. Once it does, the speaker sound should return. This is a different problem than the OP's. The red light is caused by the headphone jack refusing to acknowledge the removal of the headphones. Tickling it should some how get it back to normal--I had this problem on a Macbook and the paperclip worked.

ncv

macrumors newbie
Jul 18, 2008
Melbourne, Australia
No sound solution.

Hey Folks. Just to confirm observations. I had my iPhone headset plugged in before I shut the lid on the MBP. I then unplugged the headset while it was closed. I then opened it and no sound. A restart didn't fix the no sound problem. When I checked for a red light...nothing. But when I plugged in the headset i could get volume. So I muted it, unplugged the headset and then put up the volume. Apple needs to fix this.:rolleyes:

Nad-Aqui

macrumors newbie
Sep 29, 2008
Reverse Problem

I've been looking through this thread, and it seems as though everyone has the exact opposite problem as me.

I've had a Macbook Pro 15" for about 3 months now with no real issues up until now. This morning I started using my Macbook as usual. When I went to play a video, all of the sound was coming through the internal speakers despite having headphones plugged into the correct port. I checked under system preferences for sound and it doesn't look like anything is disabled. I tried switching between a pair of headphones and iPod earbuds, with no difference. I also restarted the macbook and tried messing around with the volume, with no results. I'm wondering if this is a problem with the port, or if I'm just an idiot.:rolleyes:

nikapandachan

macrumors newbie
Jan 13, 2009
I'm having the same problem :( Just yesterday i was using my computer jut fine and now, the sound is locked. when i try to change the sound level, it won't let me :(
I read on yahoo answers that its because it won't recognize the fact that headphones are no longer connected. As it were i conneccted headphones and it works fine....any one who can help me figure out why this is happening? :(

Thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.