Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

breedofone

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 29, 2008
My Water Damaged iPhone...........:apple::apple::eek:

short story went out to a bar and well had my iPhone in my jacket pocket and it slipped out and fell into the toilet ALL OF TIME FROZE as I saw it drop I reached rite away for it grabbed it and didn't turn on so I left it i'm going to give it a couple more days to see if it works again.. I put rubbing alcohol into it and shook it around to try and dry the water out other then that i'm out of ideas... any suggestions I already ordered a new :apple:iPhone another $400 :( I know steve jobs is smiling somewhere rite now.

Killyp

macrumors 68040
Jun 14, 2006
Nope. Nothing you can do. Just don't drop your next iPhone in water...

ntrigue

macrumors 68040
Jul 30, 2007
Apple Store will give you a new iPhone for $250 + trade in old iPhone. Bring your own laptop and sync/activate in-store.

senorFunkyPants

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2008
England
Ideally, dismantle it and put the parts somewhere hot to dry for a week or so.
Otherwise put the iphone somewhere hot (above the water heater?) for at least a week. Recharge the battery and then try to do a full restore through itunes.
Always a chance it might recover.

NightStorm

macrumors 68000
Jan 26, 2006
Whitehouse, OH
I know steve jobs is smiling somewhere rite now.
Because a piece of electronics stopped working after being dropped in water? :confused:

You make it sound like he purposely made it not work if water came into contact with it or something...

sr5878

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2007
Because a piece of electronics stopped working after being dropped in water? :confused:

You make it sound like he purposely made it not work if water came into contact with it or something...

more like, selling +1 iphone.

breedofone

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 29, 2008
iPhone Water bad

I said jobs is smiling cause he knows I will go back and buy another one for $400 and I did thank god for a good job.. but I went to apple and it hurt to be in there trendy hippie ppl love the iPhone though anyhoo they told me that they will not give me a refurb one maybe I just got a ******** employee idk..

so yeah going to try and take it apart and see what happens in a couple of days. Thanks for the help guys..

:

senorFunkyPants

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2008
England
If you decide to dismantle the iphone then:
Seperate the phone into as many pieces as it will go, get some spray electrical contact cleaner and use it on the PCB boards for cleaning especially on the connectors.
Don't get the spray anywhere near the LCD screen or the speakers or microphone.
On a normal mobile you have about a 1 in 3 chance that it will be recoverable, but the fact that you can't remove the battery straight after liquid ingress may reduce the odds (The battery may even be damaged).
If if it doesn't recover then you can still get a surprisingly decent amount of money for it on Ebay even described as liquid damaged.

breedofone

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 29, 2008
working.. sorta

Well it turned on today I was amazed I already ordered another one but the water damaged one turned on the screen looks like some water is still in it only problem I have is I can not turn it off lol screen just stays on so letting the battery die out again and finish drying out :D so if I get it fully working any taker for a $200 iPhone :apple: kudos for building an awesome phone Mr. Jobs. just start making cheaper computers and i'll forget Linux ever exsisted.

jeffmc

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2007
What kind of shape does the iPhone need to be in?

What if the screen is busted?

Thanks.

That $250 iPhone is for one thats out of warranty because of physical abuse. so even if you ran it over with your car they'd take it back

i believe the only requirement is that the serial number is still on the back.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.