Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Original poster
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
If you are looking for recommended Mac software, or recommended free Mac software, see any of the following MacRumors threads, listed in chronological order. See also the List of Mac Software in the MacRumors Guides.
What cool little OS X apps do you use? (Jan 2004)
Essential web-dev tools, tips and sites for Mac (Apr 2004)
Your Favorite Freeware/Shareware application (Jul 2004)
What are some good, free online games for the mac? (Aug 2004)
Free cd burning application? (Aug 2005)
List of Free & Open Source Apps - please add! (Aug 2005)
Free games for mac (Sep 2005)
Free Games? (Nov 2005)
Free Image Viewer (Nov 2005)
Best Free C++ Compiler? (Feb 2006)
Free Text Editors (Feb 2006)
Best Free Mac Apps! (Apr 2006)
Best free photo editor? (May 2006)
Free ftp software (May 2006)
Your favorite free apps! (Jun 2006)
free image editor?? (Jun 2006)
Torrent Client (Sep 2006)
Good FTP program (Sep 2006)
What is your favorite app? (Sep 2006)
Free image editing software? (Sep 2006)
What P2p Music Download App Do U Use? (Oct 2006)
Any free image editing software? (Mar 2007)
Good, free, downloadable games? (Apr 2007)
Essential Mac software? (Apr 2007)
HTML color coded text editor application (May 2007)
What [Digital Audio] Software Do You Use? (Aug 2007)
The Ongoing Bittorrent Client Thread...(Azureus, Transmission, µTorrent, oh my!) (Dec 2007)
Free image editor like photoshop? (Feb 2008)
Looking for FTP app... free (Mar 2008)
Easy to use, free web designing app.... (Apr 2008)
free vector animator (May 2008)
Free Painting Program? (May 2008)
3d text app? (May 2008)
Alternative for photoshop (Dec 2008)
Which FTP APP for OSX? (Mar 2009)
What is the best RSS reader for OS X (May 2009)
Free photo editor? (Mar 2010)
your top 5 of macbook pro apps :D (Jun 2011)
Recommended free/cheap Photoshop alternative? (Aug 2011)
Paint for mac? Need to make graphs... (Sep 2011)
Mac hard drive test software - creating the definitive list (Feb 2013)
Five Essential Apps for Your Mac (Jan 2018)

If you know of another MacRumors thread to add to this list please let us know.

If you know of a page at another website where Mac software is recommended, post a link to it in this thread.

DO NOT use this thread to recommend particular software applications or ask about software. This thread is for locating recommendations, not for requesting or making recommendations.​

Last edited:
Reactions: Mesmith125

smueboy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2006
Oz
Maybe this is too obvious, but if people are looking for great apps I recommend browsing the Apple OS X Downloads page - i keep finding some great freeware/shareware apps there that i would never have thought to look for.

:)

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Link to this post: Helpful Information for Any Mac User

Even if you've been a Mac user or a forum member for a while, welcome to Mac ownership and welcome to MacRumors:Forums!

If you've been using Macs for years, you might pick up a helpful hint here, or be reminded of something you forgot. If you're switching to a Mac from Windows, you'll discover that some things work the same as on Windows, and some things are quite different on a Mac. You should give yourself time to learn your way around and expect to learn a new way of doing some things. If you're patient, you'll learn that, in many cases, the "Mac way" of doing things is better. In some cases, you may still prefer the "Windows way". Just give it time to discover these things.

You'll find a lot of information both here and on the web. Here are a few resources that may be helpful:

Apple resources:
for searching the forums with Google (always a good idea before posting new questions)
How to set up a quick right-click search of the MR forums.

MacRumors resources:

Need application suggestions? Look here:
Troubleshooting tips:
If you run into a problem or question on your Mac, here are a few problem-solving steps you may find useful:

• It's NOT a virus! While not immune, Mac OS X is not plagued with viruses like Windows. For more info on this, click here.
    • Don't panic or get emotional! It's a computer. It can be fixed. It won't destroy your life... unless you let it. Take a deep breath, calm down and think.
    • Most often, unexpected things happen because the user doesn't completely understand why or how things work.
    • Much less often, hardware or software has a malfunction or design flaw.
    • While not flawless, Mac OS X is very stable. If something doesn't work the way you expect, there's a reason.
    • Search! Rather than asking a question and waiting for people to post, searching brings you answers immediately. It also reduces the number of repetitive threads, which makes it easier to find answers.
      • Use Google to search this forum for key words that describe your problem or question. You can search only this site by adding "site:forums.macrumors.com" to your search terms. 99% of the time, someone else in this forum has asked the same thing and found a solution. By searching, you can read the solution without waiting. This also applies to recommendations, opinions and speculations. It's all been discussed before, frequently hundreds of times.
      • You can restrict your search to results posted within the past year, so you're not getting outdated information or obsolete threads. Look at the date of the last post in the thread. If it's years ago, it's less likely to relate to you.
      • If you don't find what you need by searching this site with Google, try the same search without the "site:forums.macrumors.com", expanding the search to the world. It's very rare for someone to have a question or problem that isn't addressed somewhere on the internet.
    • If you find a current thread that relates to your question, it's best to post in that thread, rather than starting a new one.
    • In those rare cases where you can't find an answer quickly by searching, go to the Forum list and choose the most appropriate forum in which to start a new thread.
      • Use a thread title that describes your problem or topic, rather than something generic like "HELP!!!" The more accurate your title, the faster someone with knowledge of that issue will respond.
      • Include a description of your hardware model, OS version, application version, etc.
      • Describe the steps you've taken to resolve the issue
      • Understand that those who post responses are volunteering to help you. Even if you don't elect to follow all recommendations, it's always good to be kind to those who try to offer help, even if you're frustrated by your problem.
If you search the forums and don't find what you're looking for, just ask! There's lots of friendly help here! Enjoy your new Mac!

Last edited by a moderator:

karlore

macrumors newbie
Jan 30, 2012
Like Softpedia

All great recommendations. What about : http://mac.softpedia.com/

:apple:

This is my favorite software website. Most of the apps on my MacBook Pro were downloaded when i see the recommendations.:cool:
Like vedio converter, PDF converter, or other photo editting apps. iGreetingCard is the lastest recommendation from Softpedia (http://www.softpedia.com/reviews/mac/iGreetingCard-Review-245122.shtml). I am going to try it out. Hope it can make me happy and help me make my brother birthday cards.

daansy

macrumors newbie
Feb 18, 2012
Help / Recommendations

I've just bought my very first iMac and I have to say I'm already very pleased with it. I have never used any other Apple software before other than an iPhone4 and iPad2.

What apps would you recommend to acquire first (I have looked through the recommendation sticky above but the majority appear to be dated)? I'm only really using my mac to create videos, store and print photos and store/download/listen music and films.

zenobialewis87

macrumors newbie
Feb 13, 2014
I a so glad that came up to this thread, got a number of useful and ultimate website links. really impressed. And I too believe that macsoftpedia is just one of the ultimate software websites. I often keep a track of what new comes in it. Thanks to everybody.

GALENOS

macrumors newbie
Nov 10, 2013
If you do any editing After effects / FCPX is the best deal.. but yall probly knew that just had to throw my 2 cents in :eek:

interstella

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2013
Suffolk, England
I clicked on the MRoogle link above, only to be taken to a webpage that told me that I have now been infected with the "Tapsnake" virus and I should download Mackeeper to remove it.

A quick Google search suggests that I haven't and I'm not going to download Mackeeper anyway but I think it may be a good idea if these links are removed!

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I clicked on the MRoogle link above, only to be taken to a webpage that told me that I have now been infected with the "Tapsnake" virus and I should download Mackeeper to remove it.

A quick Google search suggests that I haven't and I'm not going to download Mackeeper anyway but I think it may be a good idea if these links are removed!
Thanks for the heads up. The post you referred to is 5 years old, and has now been edited. As you can guess, links posted from long ago may be broken, since this Internet thingy keeps changing for some reason! It is a daunting task to edit all posts that mentioned MRoogle, as there are thousands of them, almost all prior to 2012.

Reactions: interstella

Apphero

macrumors newbie
Jul 18, 2013
India
I would not download anything from MacUpdate since they bundle adware in the installer. See this article.
Actually you are right. I saw this article long back, but couldn't believe it as big developer also launch their apps in mac-updates. So, I also want to submit my mac apps but was little skeptical. So, I just submitted apps with apple app store links.

Reactions: EricRFMA

frode

macrumors newbie
Jan 26, 2018
London, UK
Hi all. These posts are now two years old. Where can I mention my own software to request comments? It's a new PDF viewer and I would greatly appreciate feedback from the Mac Rumours community.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.