Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BrettFarve04

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 14, 2007
Milwaukee, WI
Hey all,

Well I finally broke down and bought an engagement ring for my girlfriend and I'm desperately trying to think of a good way to propose too her. I know she loves animals and is a real outdoorsy kind of girl. And she told me if she ever were to be proposed too that she would want it to be a total surprise and something that'd she remember forever and ever. So my question is does anyone have any advice or ideas that I can think about. This ring is burning a hole in my pocket and I'm really excited to give it to her!!

mactastic1971

macrumors regular
Jan 9, 2008
Bay Area, CA
Fly her out to San Francisco. Take her to the Zoo. Rent a brass band to play along as you propose to her outside the tiger enclosure. Run for high ground.

SuperCompu2

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2006
MA
Does she have a dog? You could visit pets at a local shelter and hide the ring on a puppy's collar. If that's no good, maybe a trip to a local mountain or something, and a proposal on the summit?

I doubt Zoos are open, but that could be a nice place too...

timsutcliffe

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2007
Harsh

I'm not really any help i'm afraid, i just wanted to say it's pretty bad that she wants you do something to make it unforgettable, just the fact that you propose should be unforgettable.

I worried a lot about doing something amazing for my now fiance, in the end i wrote a poem and we took a trip to Niagara falls. We took some pictures too, which should help us not forget about it.

Good luck!

shu82

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2007
Rocket City, AL
It doesn't matter what you do, as long as you do it. I did it during a rerun of Frasier in my underwear. Same outcome, and she was very surprised :D

Leareth

macrumors 68000
Nov 11, 2004
Vancouver
Take her rock climbing in an indoor wall
leave ring with note on top of climb
with something sappy like "the struggles we tackle together lead to rewards..." ...
"and that is why I wish to marry you"... :rolleyes::eek:

Or if the weather is cooperating where you life , hike or horseback ride to a beautiful secluded spot and have picnic with the ring being the last thing you serve... : P

one of my colleagues took his GF on a helicopter ride to the glaciers here, had a two hour picnic and hike, at the end proposed to her.
she said yes...

skunk

macrumors G4
Jun 29, 2002
Republic of Ukistan
Drug an 800lb gorilla at the zoo one night, shave the words "Will you marry me?" into its fur, and take your girlfriend to the primates enclosure the next morning. That should do the trick.

Hello.there

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2007
Couch
Drug an 800lb gorilla at the zoo one night, shave the words "Will you marry me?" into its fur, and take your girlfriend to the primates enclosure the next morning. That should do the trick.

Make a thread on MR asking her.

:D A pair of incurable romantics :D

Do you have a store that sells those teddy bears with a little voice recorder inside? Buy one of those bears and record your voice saying, "Will you marry me?" on it.

But what if she marries the teddy?

ghall

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2006
Rhode Island
I've had plenty of marriage proposal ideas, here are just a few:

1. If she's geeky make a website about why she should marry you and send her the link.

2. Order a pizza, and before you start eating, when she isn't looking put a sign underneath the pizza that says "Will you marry me" the message will be slowly revealed throughout dinner (just make sure you finish the pizza)

3. Write her a letter and somehow hide the words "will you marry me" somewhere in there.

4. Jvyy lbh zneel zr?

macmama

macrumors regular
Nov 26, 2006
New Jersey
Make a thread on MR asking her.

If MR had been around when my husband and I got engaged, your idea totally would have been the way to go! Win!

OP, I would be most "surprised" to receive a proposal during something that was totally mundane, but I'm funny like that. Lying around on the couch or in bed, maybe as you're giving her a nice shoulder-rub? For me, romance is an everyday thing, not just for special occasions.

Good luck!

iBlue

macrumors Core
Mar 17, 2005
London, England
I always thought I wanted some big elaborate gesture but the fact is, the proposal (regardless of presentation) IS the big elaborate gesture. I was proposed to in bed (less dodgy than it sounds, honest) and it is every bit as special to me as some huge ordeal.

Even just getting down on one knee at the top of a hill after a hike would be really cool, I think. Turn around and bend down to tie your shoelace and pull it out of your pocket silently and hold it out for her. Anything you think works for the situation.

It'll be brilliant any which way you do it, I'm sure. :)

Best of luck! :)

MarkCollette

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2003
Toronto, Canada
How about going to an Improv comedy club, and pay them off so they'll select you two to go up on stage and do a skit, but the skit will be about proposing marriage, and you can pull out the ring and make it real.

Or you could go to a garden supply store and pick up some sod, and spray paint it some bright colour, and arrange it on your lawn to spell MARRY ME. Have her be out somewhere, and setup the lawn, then meet her wherever, have a nice date together, and then come home to the lawn question.

But the most romantic method would be to pay a bunch of hobos, so that when you walk past them, they could expose themselves and ask her to marry them. Like, at least a half dozen hobos. When you get home, pull your pants down to your knees, pull out the ring, and ask her if it can be your turn. Guaranteed she'll say yes.

scr1968

macrumors regular
Sep 4, 2007
Hey all,

Well I finally broke down and bought an engagement ring for my girlfriend and I'm desperately trying to think of a good way to propose too her. I know she loves animals and is a real outdoorsy kind of girl. And she told me if she ever were to be proposed too that she would want it to be a total surprise and something that'd she remember forever and ever. So my question is does anyone have any advice or ideas that I can think about. This ring is burning a hole in my pocket and I'm really excited to give it to her!!

I had a friend go down to San Diego (might have been SeaWorld) and did the swim with the dolphins thing down there. Ahead of time he set it up to have one of the dolphins deliver the ring to his girlfriend. If your girlfriend likes animals this would be cool.

SCR

Shotglass

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2006
But the most romantic method would be to pay a bunch of hobos, so that when you walk past them, they could expose themselves and ask her to marry them. Like, at least a half dozen hobos. When you get home, pull your pants down to your knees, pull out the ring, and ask her if it can be your turn. Guaranteed she'll say yes.
I'd marry you.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.