Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

alexismybro

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 25, 2008
hi guys i was just curious because my dad has been nagging me about this, is it possible to save emails to the iphone so that every time you open one it doesn't have to download it again. it costs lots of money because my dad may have to check the same email 5 or 6 times and it re downloads them again every time. Also can you regulate how much of an email you can download for example on my dads treo you can download like 5 kb of an email just to see what it says rather than downloading the full 1mb. It is extremely expensive and frustrating.

thanks guys

richimages

macrumors regular
Mar 20, 2008
Southeastern US
Okay ... so I'm not really following you ... you can set the number of emails to download in the Mail settings .. I have mine set to 25 ( ... or was it 50 ... oh well ) ... then it updates with it's hourly, 30mins ... or whatever settings you have it auto check ... unless you're doing a manual check ... and it downloads to the phone. I should be on the phone from then on unless you delete it.

If it's a Gmail account ... do not use the iPhone's "quick add" auto wizzard to set the account up: instead, follow Googles instructions ( which adds slightly more info ) and your web account will be better synched with the iPhones mail. Go to this link for details of how and what the difference will be: http://mail.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=77702

Now in the US ... there's not an increase in phone charge for web usage ... so not sure why it would be more expensive to re-download mail over and over ... but it shouldn't be doing that anyway ... it should be on the phone.

More details????

alexismybro

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 25, 2008
more details

you can set the number of emails to download in the Mail settings .. I have mine set to 25 ( ... or was it 50 ... oh well )yes i have done this ... then it updates with it's hourly, 30mins ... or whatever settings you have it auto check ... unless you're doing a manual check ... and it downloads to the phone yes i have done this as well. I should be on the phone from then on unless you delete it.once i view the email and it downloads the message i can see it. then after i have viewed this email and returned to inbox i can no longer view the text upon returning to the same email, my iphone re downloads the same email and i check my usage and i have downloaded the email for the second time. this adds to my usage cost with my provider.

how do i limit how much of an email i want to download for example this can be done on my treo where i can download only 5 kb to view the headers of the email and if i want to download the rest i can because it gives me the option

i also use my own email client from my website as i run my own business. also i live in Australia and i am with Telstra.

richimages

macrumors regular
Mar 20, 2008
Southeastern US
how do i limit how much of an email i want to download for example this can be done on my treo where i can download only 5 kb to view the headers of the email and if i want to download the rest i can because it gives me the option

Sorry ... I'm not sure ... I just set the NUMBER of emails to download ... and they do not re-download if I read and exit and return later ...

But if I delete all of them ... I get a question at the bottom of the screen that says:
"Would you like to download another ## messages from this folder?"
where: ## is the number of emails that I have set in mail preferences to download on the iPhone ...

So ... it looks like we very different services in the US.

Suspended
Dec 27, 2003
Yeah..

I really doubt there's a way to do this. I'm thinking Apple built the iPhone with unlimited data in mind.

ruckus

macrumors regular
Oct 19, 2005
Who is your provider? In the states here we have unlimited data.

I guess you proly don't want to answer this but are you using an unlocked iphone? The first thing that came to mind for me is that you are using an unlocked phone on a network other than one for the iphone.

I don't believe you can set an option for the iPhone like you are describing since most iPhone plans (that I know of) come with lots of data usage.

Moi un Mouton

macrumors 68000
Mar 18, 2008
Bracknell UK
I think that if you delete a message on the iPhone, it saves it locally in "Trash". It seems to for my POP3 account anyway, as I can still look at a message in Trash after it has been deleted on the server.

horrgakx

macrumors member
Dec 5, 2007
UK, North West
Now in the US ... there's not an increase in phone charge for web usage ... so not sure why it would be more expensive to re-download mail over and over ... but it shouldn't be doing that anyway ... it should be on the phone.

You're kidding!! Here in the UK my O2 contract states that I get 1Mb of data free. I'm then charged at an exorbitant rate for every 1Mb I use over that. And it IS expensive. So when I got the iPhone I upgraded to 250Mb per month for around £8 (approx $4).

blacksheepblues

macrumors newbie
Mar 1, 2008
UK
I would like to know this as well - I have an iPod touch and if I try and access my emails that I've previously downloaded, when I'm out of range of wifi, it just tries to redownload then then tells me it cannot connect. The emails do NOT appear to have been saved to the iPod, which I assumed they would be when I bought the iPod, otherwise there's no real advantage of a separate mail app over accessing web mail through safari!

memesmith

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2007
You're kidding!! Here in the UK my O2 contract states that I get 1Mb of data free. I'm then charged at an exorbitant rate for every 1Mb I use over that. And it IS expensive. So when I got the iPhone I upgraded to 250Mb per month for around £8 (approx $4).

errr a proper iPhone contract with O2 has unlimited data, sounds like you've unlocked yours to "save money"

Suspended
Dec 27, 2003
Huh?

Dude, four dollars? You're complaining because you have to pay $4 a month?

I'm paying $20 for unlimited.

arkitect

macrumors 604
Sep 5, 2005
Bath, United Kingdom

An O2 iPhone contract has unlimited data included…

BTW, £8 = ±US$16. ;)

alexismybro

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 25, 2008
Thanks guys

thanks anyways but i guess i'll ahve to wait for unlimited to hit australia. yes i have an unlocked phone =P thanks for answering anyways

bstpierre

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2008
I just looked at my email messages and I can still read them and I currently have no service (no phone nor wifi). I am in the US.

One thing you can do (or at least I can) is set the number of preview lines. You can have up to five preview lines which are visible when you look at the inbox.

2heckwithmac

macrumors newbie
Apr 17, 2009
Stupid iphone

hi guys i was just curious because my dad has been nagging me about this, is it possible to save emails to the iphone so that every time you open one it doesn't have to download it again. it costs lots of money because my dad may have to check the same email 5 or 6 times and it re downloads them again every time. Also can you regulate how much of an email you can download for example on my dads treo you can download like 5 kb of an email just to see what it says rather than downloading the full 1mb. It is extremely expensive and frustrating.

thanks guys

I hear yah man!!!! This is what everyone does not understand. You need email to be there when you need it. Not 5 line preview. Screw unlimited data plan if you have no signal. I want to be able to look up a stored email no matter how long I've had it! If you have never encountered this problem then you do not use your iphone for business. Just continue using your phone as an ipod with minor phone features.

Don't let me get started on MMS!
The iphone is the best phone I've ever had. It is such a shame that has absolutely no practical use outside of being an ipod.

WHEN IS APPLE GOING TO STOP LIMITING PEOPLE!!!

CAN'T SAVE CONTACTS TO SIM
NO MMS.....but its included in your att plan? whaaaat?!!!
CAN'T SAVE EMAIL. but you can save email attachments?.... huh?
NO VIDEO RECORDING
NO AD2P BLUETOOTH.... what is apple thinking? a "music" phone that can't listen to music using bluetooth?
SPEAKER SUCKS

So, where are we at now. A phone with a pretend e-mail function. I wish I had a real phone with email...... wait, wait,... my metro pcs phone downloads e-mail and its 5 yrs old.. :-0 and...and.. the hiphone clone saves e-mail with wm6.1. hmmmm.

I had to get another phone. It takes time to download the same email 50 times.

Get a phone with windows mobile 6.1 or palm (real PDA's) and don't look back or let apple be your mommy and daddy and let them run your life.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.