Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iViking

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 23, 2006
I have a new Penryn Macbook and today when I booted up the computer, the green camera light was on. I tried to restart the computer but it didn't help. How do I turn this thing off?

Silver-Fox

macrumors 65816
Jan 8, 2007
England
I have a new Penryn Macbook and today when I booted up the computer, the green camera light was on. I tried to restart the computer but it didn't help. How do I turn this thing off?

You must have something open using the camera, like photobooth etc

iViking

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 23, 2006
Try opening Photo Booth or iChat and then quitting it and see if that helps.

For some reason I can't find photobooth--never used it before.

I opened ichat and the camera doesn't seem to be working.

I guess maybe the camera isn't on, and it's only the light

iViking

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 23, 2006
If that doesn't help then a safe boot (hold down shift at boot). It has worked for me in the past.

Not necessarily, I had my camera on for about a week and nothing would stop it and nothing started it.

Rebooting in safe mode did the trick. Thanks! What is "safe mode", anyway?

xUKHCx

Administrator emeritus
Jan 15, 2006
The Kop
What is Safe Mode

The important part here is

It loads only required kernel extensions (some of the items in /System/Library/Extensions).

It is a useful troubleshooting step and can solve problems such as this one. I have had to do it multiple times for this issue.

tellyman

macrumors newbie
Jun 8, 2011
How Do You Turn Off The Camera?

Reset the PRAM. You do that by shutting down your computer. Then restart the computer while holding down the keys, "Option", "Command", "P" and "R" (you may need someone to assist you in doing this). Keep holding the keys down until the computer shuts itself off and then restarts. The light should go off immediately.

Blessings!

Reactions: 8692574

CorporateFelon

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2007
Boston, MA
In my experience when this happened it meant the camera wasn't working.

The light would sometimes come on at Boot and stay on. In photobooth I couldn't see anything. Restarting make it go back to normal.

zacho125

macrumors newbie
Jul 30, 2012
California
Please help

Hello. if anyone can help me i need to know this. My idiot friend went on my computer and went on this website where i guess u can talk to people through the computer camera. and wen he left my house, he left the computer on. and so iv been using it and 3 days later i see that a tab is still open. when i open it its other people watching me through my computer. ITS BEEN ON FOR 3 DAYS!!! and i really dont know what my friend did, but i wanna turn the camera off. iv been looking at everybodys comments to how to turn it off, so say u go on that website again, even though ichat and photo booth are off, can they still be looking at u even though all the camera things are turned off. and how do u know if your camera is off. cuz i dont want my friend to go on that website again an wen i use my computer, other creeps will be watching me. so can someone please tell me what to do.

zee2013

macrumors newbie
Sep 1, 2013

Try to press command+option+Esc all at the same time. This will lead you to a box called force quite. From there chose photo booth and click quit. If it doesn't appear, then click iTunes from the list in the force quit box. I did it this way and the camera went off.

Higgi

macrumors newbie
Nov 29, 2013
Thanks Zee2013

Try to press command+option+Esc all at the same time. This will lead you to a box called force quite. From there chose photo booth and click quit. If it doesn't appear, then click iTunes from the list in the force quit box. I did it this way and the camera went off.

thanks!

davys

macrumors regular
Mar 24, 2010
Lanark
Please help

Hello. if anyone can help me i need to know this. My idiot friend went on my computer and went on this website where i guess u can talk to people through the computer camera. and wen he left my house, he left the computer on. and so iv been using it and 3 days later i see that a tab is still open. when i open it its other people watching me through my computer. ITS BEEN ON FOR 3 DAYS!!! and i really dont know what my friend did, but i wanna turn the camera off. iv been looking at everybodys comments to how to turn it off, so say u go on that website again, even though ichat and photo booth are off, can they still be looking at u even though all the camera things are turned off. and how do u know if your camera is off. cuz i dont want my friend to go on that website again an wen i use my computer, other creeps will be watching me. so can someone please tell me what to do.

When I was looking, I thought your bedroom could do with a tidy up - get all those under crackers up of the floor and into the basket for crying out loud. And the wallpaper on the wall behind your bed, get that changed as well dude...

timbentinck

macrumors newbie
Jul 15, 2016
When I was looking, I thought your bedroom could do with a tidy up - get all those under crackers up of the floor and into the basket for crying out loud. And the wallpaper on the wall behind your bed, get that changed as well dude...
[doublepost=1468592269][/doublepost]Really simple solution. Stick some duct tape over the camera. Job done.

Reactions: Shirasaki

Suspended
Mar 18, 2006
How Do You Turn Off The Camera?

Reset the PRAM. You do that by shutting down your computer. Then restart the computer while holding down the keys, "Option", "Command", "P" and "R" (you may need someone to assist you in doing this). Keep holding the keys down until the computer shuts itself off and then restarts. The light should go off immediately.

Blessings!
You have to keep them pressed till you hear the "bong" 3 times otherwise it is useless!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.