Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

acjrocks

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 24, 2008
All my music is on my home computer and that is where I sync my iPhone. When I am at work I don't have a wifi connection, but I do have my iPhone usb connector to hook up to my work computer.

I would like to hook up my iPhone to my work computer via the USB cable and play the music on the phone via my computer speakers. Is this possible via the cable?

acjrocks

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 24, 2008
If my work box had a line in then that would work but no luck there. It has to be via USB and preferably looking for a software solution.

Is the same result achieved if you use the headphone socket to connect to the line in socket on your sound card?

acjrocks

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 24, 2008
Am I really the only one that was ever interested in having this work? Hopefully there is something out there.

redhotchilis64

macrumors newbie
Mar 25, 2008
You will have to transfer all of your music from your iPhone to your computer, which means purchasing software. I haven't found any software that treats a USB cable as a line in cable, it would be pretty helpful though! If you're on a Mac, and your iPhone is jailbroken, you can install DropCopy through installer and directly transfer your music to your computer. If you're on a PC, software is the only way to go.

http://www.dvd-ipod.biz/iphone_to_computer_transfer.html is a good software for transferring multimedia from your iPhone to your PC.

acjrocks

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 24, 2008
Well that sucks. Would've been great to just plug in my iPhone to my computer and play the music on it through my speakers. It's a good idea though.

jeffmc

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2007
Well that sucks. Would've been great to just plug in my iPhone to my computer and play the music on it through my speakers. It's a good idea though.

install itunes on the computer
put your phone in "manual manage mode" for music

you'll be able to browse the music and play it through your computer speakers via itunes.

acjrocks

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 24, 2008
Have you actually gotten this to work? I did some quick research and it doesn't seem to work the way you would want it to.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/419804/

Anyone tried this before? Remember, I sync with my home computer and would like to play the music off my iPhone from my work computer.

install itunes on the computer
put your phone in "manual manage mode" for music

you'll be able to browse the music and play it through your computer speakers via itunes.

jeffmc

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2007
You can get a USB line-in device for not a lot of money. I'd like this to work as well, but unfortunately it doesn't.

yes it does
you need a computer with itunes and the dock->usb cable that every phone comes with

it doesn't cost you a thing

acjrocks

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 24, 2008
Hey Jeff. Would you mind putting up a very quick but quality how-to on how to do this? I'm at work right now and would love to test this. I've read all over the place that it doesn't work, but you've said otherwise so I would love to get this to work.

yes it does
you need a computer with itunes and the dock->usb cable that every phone comes with

it doesn't cost you a thing

WMuntean

macrumors regular
Aug 23, 2007
Plug your iPhone into your work box. Open iTunes. Click on your music subcategory listed under you 'iPhone' on your left hand side. Then click on the music that you wish to play.

acjrocks

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 24, 2008
I tried it again and I am getting the same problem that the guys from this thread are getting.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/419804/

I also tried the below comment and although it does show the music that is on my iPhone, all the music is disabled and you cannot play any of the items, nor can you right click for options.

Plug your iPhone into your work box. Open iTunes. Click on your music subcategory listed under you 'iPhone' on your left hand side. Then click on the music that you wish to play.

redhotchilis64

macrumors newbie
Mar 25, 2008
I completely forgot about being able to play music thorough the music subcategory in iTunes. If it isn't working, there's probably something wrong with the computer. Audio driver maybe? Do other sounds work through the computer's speakers?

acjrocks

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 24, 2008
I'm pretty technically inclined when it comes to computers and relevant problems so I know for sure it's the iTunes software. Everything else works perfectly and sounds perfectly.

I get the same exact problems that those guys from the thread I posted are stating. It just seems to be a limitation from the iTunes software but I keep on pushing it cause 1 or 2 guys on here have said they do it all the time.

Still hoping Mr. Jeff puts up a quick tutorial on how to get this working. :D

Both computers are Windows boxes.

I completely forgot about being able to play music thorough the music subcategory in iTunes. If it isn't working, there's probably something wrong with the computer. Audio driver maybe? Do other sounds work through the computer's speakers?

djerati

macrumors newbie
Jun 12, 2006
Depends on your version of iTunes!

Newer versions of itunes don't allow you to manage music manually in a fashion that allows you to play music from your phone back to your computer through itunes. Songs are "grayed out" no matter what you do. Either burn a disc of mp3s and play them that way, plug in to your iPhone stereo jack directly, or use some sort of line in system directly from the stereo headphone output on your phone to a computer's line-in. Shame on Apple blocking what used to work on the ipod and not on the phone.

acjrocks

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 24, 2008
Newer versions of itunes don't allow you to manage music manually in a fashion that allows you to play music from your phone back to your computer through itunes. Songs are "grayed out" no matter what you do. Either burn a disc of mp3s and play them that way, plug in to your iPhone stereo jack directly, or use some sort of line in system directly from the stereo headphone output on your phone to a computer's line-in. Shame on Apple blocking what used to work on the ipod and not on the phone.

This could probably be the answer to my question. I have the latest iTunes installed and yup, it grays out my iPhone music. The iPhone is my first Apple toy so I don't know how long they have been graying the music for the iPhone via iTunes. I just know it doesn't work right now. :mad:

threefivefive

macrumors newbie
Mar 29, 2008
This could probably be the answer to my question. I have the latest iTunes installed and yup, it grays out my iPhone music. The iPhone is my first Apple toy so I don't know how long they have been graying the music for the iPhone via iTunes. I just know it doesn't work right now. :mad:

Ok I just tested this on my laptop at home - I'm running the latest mac version and it worked on here. However I do sync with this machine so I'll go try it on the pc and let u know...

acjrocks

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 24, 2008
Ok I just tested this on my laptop at home - I'm running the latest mac version and it worked on here. However I do sync with this machine so I'll go try it on the pc and let u know...

Did you get it working on that 2nd pc?

Bdubb

macrumors regular
Mar 18, 2010
To the OP, I don't want to sound too smarmy...or a little pretentious but...

Instead of going through all this trouble, looking for so many answers and coming out empty handed, cannot you just simply, save all your MP3's on a USB flash drive from your home PC and bring them to work and dump them on your work PC??

I assume everyone and their mother has at least a Gig or 2 or 4 Gigs USB flash drives these days, if you have a large Music collection, can't you just make a few trips everyday and dump most of your music from home to your work PC? ( or do it all at once with an external drive)

should be fairly efficient and easy process, just a suggestion, since as an owner of a huge music collection and and iPhone, I did the exact same thing, by dumping all my favorite tunes on my 16 gig Flash drive.

Just sayin...

( I understand if you update your iTunes/iPhone music on daily/weekly basis and you want to be sure you have the latest favorite music with you when you get in to work every morning. You don't want to be bothered with transferring the latest music to your work PC all the time...if that is the case, I can see it being somewhat inconvenient...)

tctony

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2009
I use this application called Senuti for playing music off my iPhone via USB cable. I think it's designed to transfer music to iTunes but you can still play songs from your iPhone without transferring anything. It works very well!

http://www.fadingred.com/senuti/

Nice dead-thread revival.

To the OP, I don't want to sound too smarmy...or a little pretentious but...

Instead of going through all this trouble, looking for so many answers and coming out empty handed, cannot you just simply, save all your MP3's on a USB flash drive from your home PC and bring them to work and dump them on your work PC??

I assume everyone and their mother has at least a Gig or 2 or 4 Gigs USB flash drives these days, if you have a large Music collection, can't you just make a few trips everyday and dump most of your music from home to your work PC? ( or do it all at once with an external drive)

should be fairly efficient and easy process, just a suggestion, since as an owner of a huge music collection and and iPhone, I did the exact same thing, by dumping all my favorite tunes on my 16 gig Flash drive.

Just sayin...

( I understand if you update your iTunes/iPhone music on daily/weekly basis and you want to be sure you have the latest favorite music with you when you get in to work every morning. You don't want to be bothered with transferring the latest music to your work PC all the time...if that is the case, I can see it being somewhat inconvenient...)

Check the time stamp. I don't think the OP will be checking replies for this.

excubitor

macrumors newbie
Aug 30, 2013
A simple solution is to plug your Desktop speaker jack into your phone - no need to clutter your work PC with software or audio files

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.