Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

amf666

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 26, 2005
Hi. I currently have and 80Gb 5th gen ipod roughly about 3/4 full of music all in Apple Lossless format. I'm thinking of getting a refurb shuffle while they're so cheap to use in the gym and want to get peoples opinions of the easiest way of running two libraries one in lossless for my ipod and one in say 128 AAC for the shuffle. I'm trying to avoid having songs duplicated in itunes, but know I'll probably have to have them duplicated on my hard drive. Not sure where to start really. Any help would be appreciated.

seeker777

macrumors member
Oct 15, 2007
You can have two libraries.

Hold down the Option key when launching iTunes, and it will ask which one you want to use (you can create a new one).

Another alternative - If you are forgetful, like me, you may forget to hold down the key when launching and not realize which library you are in (which can be a problem when ripping the tracks in a different format). You could alleviate this by simply creating another user on the computer with its own library.

Seanasaur

macrumors member
Oct 5, 2007
You don't need multiple libraries; iTunes can automatically create 128Kbps files from your existing library before transferring them to your shuffle. The option becomes available once you connect the iPod to your computer.

forafireescape

macrumors 6502a
Jan 16, 2008
NJ
You don't need multiple libraries; iTunes can automatically create 128Kbps files from your existing library before transferring them to your shuffle. The option becomes available once you connect the iPod to your computer.

This is the best (and easiest) way that I've found, and I had the same question.

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
This is a wonderful option that I use sometimes.

This is the best (and easiest) way that I've found, and I had the same question.
Agree! :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.