Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

takeabyteoutta

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 31, 2008
Given recent rumors and where the industry is heading, I believe Apple will be including a TV tuner and DVR software while reducing the height of the mac Mini by atleast 25%. They will also increase storage, NO BLU_RAY SUPPORT, and this will be the first apple product besides AppleTV that will be able to play standard and HD rentals from itunes. I also suspect the plastic top will be replaced with aluminum.

EasyRider

macrumors regular
Mar 28, 2008
If you check out avsforum.com and see the htpc section on macs almost anyone using a mac is using the mini to their hdtv.

The size is perfect but it lacks horsepower. Personally I hope they make an aluminum mini with blu-ray. This could be the top of the line at $999. I would be the first person lined up to get it and hook it up to my big screen.

takeabyteoutta

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 31, 2008
If you check out avsforum.com and see the htpc section on macs almost anyone using a mac is using the mini to their hdtv.

The size is perfect but it lacks horsepower. Personally I hope they make an aluminum mini with blu-ray. This could be the top of the line at $999. I would be the first person lined up to get it and hook it up to my big screen.

blu-ray is a placeholder format apple is reluctant to embrace and a simple fact is that it'll be embraced in the mac pro first.

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
Given recent rumors and where the industry is heading, I believe Apple will be including a TV tuner and DVR software while reducing the height of the mac Mini by at least 25%.

While Apple is filing patents for DVR-related functionality, I do not believe they are actively planning to pursue it at this time as it would undermine content purchases from the iTunes store.

As to reducing the height, the current unit is already quite packed inside. They would have to scrap the optical drive and move to 1.8" HDDs (which have smaller capacities then the current units) to make it that much thinner which would just make the unit that much less desirable.

a456

macrumors 6502a
Oct 5, 2005
I don't think that TV tuners and DVRs are Apple's game these days. A film downloaded from iTunes is clean. It starts at the beginning and ends where it should. No poor reception, no reschedules. It just works. They will leave all the other stuff to third-parties. It's like FM tuners in iPods - it they make listening to fuzzy noise an integral part of the object it downgrades it in people's minds, whereas if every track is played without interruption a better image is held in people's heads.

elcid

macrumors 6502
May 5, 2007
Wouldnt one think that the :apple:TV (I even bolded the TV part for effect) would have the Tuner and DVR first?

takeabyteoutta

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 31, 2008
While Apple is filing patents for DVR-related functionality, I do not believe they are actively planning to pursue it at this time as it would undermine content purchases from the iTunes store.

As to reducing the height, the current unit is already quite packed inside. They would have to scrap the optical drive and move to 1.8" HDDs (which have smaller capacities then the current units) to make it that much thinner which would just make the unit that much less desirable.

the $400-600 price difference between the appleTV and the new mini revision will justify any (although in my view limited) undermining of iTunes content.

I said they were reducing the height, i never said they weren't expanding the "footprint." there have been a few rumors floating around that the next mini will be half as tall, so maybe eliminating the optical drive is what apple has in mind... which effectively makes the mini the premium AppleTV edition/ sweet home entertainment center. eliminating the optical drive will make people consider downloading itunes content rather than using their DVD's, etc. as well.

EasyRider

macrumors regular
Mar 28, 2008
blu-ray is a placeholder format apple is reluctant to embrace and a simple fact is that it'll be embraced in the mac pro first.

You could say every technology is a placeholder format. Right now that's pretty much the only way to get 1080p shows and movies. Do mac mini buyers care about blu-ray? maybe, maybe not. I think having it as an affordable option would drive a lot of additional sales. Didn't Apple already announce they are going to support blu-ray?

Other computer makers are including blu-ray players for about $200 extra.
Maybe Apple could announce and external blu-ray drive? Sooner or later they will jump on the blu-ray bandwagon.

Cave Man

macrumors 604
Do mac mini buyers care about blu-ray? maybe, maybe not. I think having it as an affordable option would drive a lot of additional sales.

The problem is that many, if not most, Blu-Ray movies are encoded in H.264, and the Mini will choke on the high-bitrate 1080 content. You'll never see a Blu-Ray drive on a Mini until they get hardware decoding of H.264 (i.e., discrete gpu/vRAM).

Didn't Apple already announce they are going to support blu-ray?

No, they haven't. They will either adopt it, or they won't. It sure doesn't fit their current business model, that's for sure.

takeabyteoutta

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 31, 2008
Well if it's slower than the current Macbook it's weak.

I could use Peryn, a Geforce 8400GT with Purevideo, and 4GB RAM support

the processor isn't the problem here and penryn is only going to make the mini run cooler, not faster. a better graphics card and the possibility of 4 gigs of ram would be nice though.

given that the mini is significantly cheaper than the macbook, its not weak for its price. its weak because other similar units have better specs, even if they only come with vista.

Tracer

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2007
Keep dreaming about a Real Video Card, cost more than anything else will keep anything but the X3100 in the Mac Mini.

I would simply like to see the Macbook Specs converted to the Mac Mini Line.

Tracer

woodgear

macrumors newbie
Mar 21, 2008
htpc and mini

I am new to the htpc, how are people using the mini as a htpc.?using it as a source on the home theater receiver?

please people comment. I am in the process of buildign a hom theater and want to know my options....

takeabyteoutta

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 31, 2008
Well, assuming it doesnt go from 1.8 and 2.0, to 2.1 and 2.4ghz like the macbook which will be faster.

I was simply implying that Apple could still include merom chips, which are cheaper, in the next revision. For the same price you could get a 2.4 merom or a 2.1 penryn. The only advantage to penryn in terms of a desktop is the SSE4 instruction set, but most programs don't take advantage of it yet.

Cave Man

macrumors 604
I was simply implying that Apple could still include merom chips, which are cheaper, in the next revision.

I suppose they could, but since Intel is accelerating the EOL status of Meroms I doubt this would occur. On top of that, Apple likes to keep the same logic boards for the iMac/Mini/MB/MBP for volume discounts and easier troubleshooting. I'm highly certain next revision will be Santa Rosa/Penryns all around.

takeabyteoutta

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 31, 2008
I suppose they could, but since Intel is accelerating the EOL status of Meroms I doubt this would occur. On top of that, Apple likes to keep the same logic boards for the iMac/Mini/MB/MBP for volume discounts and easier troubleshooting. I'm highly certain next revision will be Santa Rosa/Penryns all around.

that does seem likely, but my main point was that the mini isn't slower than the macbook because it isn't sporting a penryn based processor, especially when it comes to streaming HD content. montevina on the other hand will offer exceptional HD support.

woodgear

macrumors newbie
Mar 21, 2008
What's your content? DVDs are fine; H.264 can be troublesome if 1080 and high bit rate.

I have many std DVD. Just starting to get BlueRay, now that the descision is finally made and HD is dead

I am working on the room now....

Equipment to purchase:
HD projector 1080p
HT receiver probably the Yahama Z11
Screen

I visited your web site, looks good, I am also looking at a DIgital SLR I see you have the Rebel. I have been looking at the Canon and also the Olympus 4/3 camera

takeabyteoutta

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 31, 2008
Steve Jobs just announced that the next mini revision will incorporating a TV tuner. He hinted at DVR software and a sold separately firewire tv tuner for the other macs as well.

oakley.mac

macrumors newbie
Mar 23, 2008
Hells Sauna TX
announced?

He announced this on the official first day of April so it must be true mass text messaged to all iPhone2.0 users maybe...

but I am sad to not find an update today....money burning holes here...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.