Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

upsyndrome

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 1, 2007
It's happened 3 times in the past 2 weeks, my iphone keeps repeatedly turning itself on after i turn it off, It also keeps randomly saying "this device is not made for iphone" even though there aren't any accessories plugged into it. Does anyone have this problem, or has anyone ever heard of something like this? I haven't got my phone wet, or dropped it at all. I'm hoping apple will replace my phone, what do you guys think?

p.s. my phone also has a pixel that is always stuck blue, so you guys think they will replace it?

ecks618

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2006
NYC
I had the opposite happen to me, it would turn off randomly at night and my alarm would not go off because of it. After about 15 restores, it went away.

upsyndrome

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 1, 2007
I restored twice and updated the phone to the newest version, and it still does it. I have an appointment with the geniusbar on wed. i hope they can help me out.

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
I have seen it randomly turn on from time to time. I theorize that it's the email program crashing (or perhaps the web browser). No way to tell, since turning it on restarts the program.

I think once I saw the "device not made for iphone" message, when it was docked. It came up for a second, then went away.

upsyndrome

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 1, 2007
Haha Sobe, thats awesome!

I have seen it randomly turn on from time to time. I theorize that it's the email program crashing (or perhaps the web browser). No way to tell, since turning it on restarts the program.

I think once I saw the "device not made for iphone" message, when it was docked. It came up for a second, then went away.

Ya, my "device not made for iphone" message comes up for only a second as well, it comes on around every 10 seconds , so it kills my battery throughout the day

SFStateStudent

macrumors 604
Aug 28, 2007
San Francisco California, USA
Same - Same...

happened only once, with the "device-yada-yada" and once where it shut itself off and came right back on without me doing anything; I started heading for the Apple Store, but no further incidents to date. :cool:

ert3

macrumors 6502a
Dec 10, 2007
this seems to be an issue with a wirless device trying to interfae with your iPhone that was not intended to do so. Based on the error. Perhaps a wireless mac keyboard.

iPhoneMK

macrumors newbie
Mar 30, 2008
Macedonia
I have exactly same to detail problem like upsyndrome.
I've tried restoring, but no help!
Anyone with a solution?
Please!

SFStateStudent

macrumors 604
Aug 28, 2007
I have exactly same to detail problem like upsyndrome.
I've tried restoring, but no help!
Anyone with a solution?
Please!

Went to the Apple Store last night for several issues, but the repetitive error message "This device not made for iPhone..." seems to stem from the dual dock that I have for my iPhone and BT (at least for me) but I wasn't able to duplicate the message. They ended up exchanging my BT iPhone Headset and dual charging dock. No charge. Haven't seen the message since, but it's been only 15 hours. :cool:

iPhoneMK

macrumors newbie
Mar 30, 2008
Macedonia
Nice for you.
But, you're missing one thing that distances mine and upsyndrome's problem from yours - the iPhone is turning itself on after turning it off and the battery draining quickly.
Also, neither me or upsyndrome is using any accessories plugged into it.

4DThinker

macrumors 68020
Mar 15, 2008
It's caused by the ghost of one of the early iPhone development team. He passed away from stress due to long nights and the constant fear of Steve Jobs. His last words were "Curse you, iPHONE!", and he does. ;)

4D

SFStateStudent

macrumors 604
Aug 28, 2007
Nice for you.
But, you're missing one thing that distances mine and upsyndrome's problem from yours - the iPhone is turning itself on after turning it off and the battery draining quickly.
Also, neither me or upsyndrome is using any accessories plugged into it.

I see your point, but I did have my iPhone shutdown on it's own (one time) and the BT was drained as well, yep, it is different from your situation. Sorry. :(

iPhoneMK

macrumors newbie
Mar 30, 2008
Macedonia
I've solved the problem!

Here is how, step by step:

1. Connect your iPhone to the Dock
2. Turn it off while plugged in the Dock
3. Leave it turned off while charging
4. After charging, turn it on while the iPhone is still plugged in the Dock
5. Disconnect your iPhone from the Dock

This worked for me. I hope the problem will not come back.
Try and please inform if it worked for you.

:cool:

moyphone

macrumors newbie
Dec 5, 2008
Exact same problem.

I've solved the problem!

Here is how, step by step:

1. Connect your iPhone to the Dock
2. Turn it off while plugged in the Dock
3. Leave it turned off while charging
4. After charging, turn it on while the iPhone is still plugged in the Dock
5. Disconnect your iPhone from the Dock

This worked for me. I hope the problem will not come back.
Try and please inform if it worked for you.

:cool:

I just tried what you said to do I hope it works because that turning on and off thing and giving me the "its not made for this device" message is reaaaaally getting old. I hope your right!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

IhateSteve

macrumors newbie
Feb 8, 2010
this is easy

the problem is your iphone is now infected with some apps thats keeps running behind the scene. so what you need to do is download a popup blocker app.
then do this.

Anyway, here are my symptoms:

-Lights up/awakens every 30 seconds (rarely displays "This accessory is not made to work with the iphone") :mad::mad::mad:but this happens only when it's not plugged in to a power source

-Will not shut down. Automatically restarts

-Obvious power drain from waking up every 30 seconds

My Workaround:
You must need a jailbroken iPhone for this!
There is an app in Cydia called "Popup Blocker", this will allow you to disable the waking up problem. It is on the iClarified source, but I recommend downloading the free version on http://cydia.xsellize.com. Here is a video to further help you with downloading it (not me): http://www.iphone.menswatchusa.com/...hone-easiest-fix-100-works-for-2g-3g-and-3gs/

After you have downloaded that and rebooted, go into Settings->Popup Blocker->Alerts->Accessory Warnings and change it to these settings:
Block When Unlocked: on
Block When Locked: on
Wake On Alert: off
Exit out and test it out.

Notice: This will not prevent your iPhone from restarting, however it'll prevent your iPhone from waking every 30 seconds.

Amen, no more annoying on and off screen :D

kvnwest

macrumors newbie
Mar 22, 2010
the problem is your iphone is now infected with some apps thats keeps running behind the scene. so what you need to do is download a popup blocker app.
then do this.

Anyway, here are my symptoms:

-Lights up/awakens every 30 seconds (rarely displays "This accessory is not made to work with the iphone") :mad::mad::mad:but this happens only when it's not plugged in to a power source

-Will not shut down. Automatically restarts

-Obvious power drain from waking up every 30 seconds

My Workaround:
You must need a jailbroken iPhone for this!
There is an app in Cydia called "Popup Blocker", this will allow you to disable the waking up problem. It is on the iClarified source, but I recommend downloading the free version on http://cydia.xsellize.com. Here is a video to further help you with downloading it (not me): http://www.iphone.menswatchusa.com/...hone-easiest-fix-100-works-for-2g-3g-and-3gs/

After you have downloaded that and rebooted, go into Settings->Popup Blocker->Alerts->Accessory Warnings and change it to these settings:
Block When Unlocked: on
Block When Locked: on
Wake On Alert: off
Exit out and test it out.

Notice: This will not prevent your iPhone from restarting, however it'll prevent your iPhone from waking every 30 seconds.

Amen, no more annoying on and off screen :D

THANKS A MIL!!!!

essemd

macrumors newbie
Dec 23, 2010
I have exact same problem!

turns itself on in the middle of the night and displays the gizmo accessory not optimized for.... bla bla bla.
tis making me loco.. it has to be something to do with the latest update. I have the iphone 3g.
maybe it's a conspiracy to get us all to upgrade?
let me know thanks
s:confused:

ZAiPhone

macrumors member
Feb 1, 2011
I've had this problem two different ways. The accessory not compatible was due to lint in the docking port. Blew it out and cleaned with a business card solved that. Apple iOS must be listening even when in Airplane mode with WiFi off. I say that because in a very remote location without cell service and with airplane mode engaged and WiFi off to conserve batteries it kept turning itself on. As soon as I was back in cell range everything was better.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.