Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

plunar

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 7, 2003
i made a movie with imovie HD, and exported it using h.264 as an mp4. i then dragged it into my itunes library. but when itunes syncs with my iphone, it says it didn't sync the movie because the video format is "supported." wtf? i thought apple was big on the iphone supposedly favoring mp4???

albanmews

macrumors newbie
Jul 29, 2008
Found an answer!

I had the same problem. Checked other forums and found a solution:

1. Use HandBrake to convert unprotected DVD to mp4. After selecting the Source, click Toggle Presets on the menu and select iPhone/iPod Touch, then Start.

2. After conversion, in iTunes, File|Add to Library the converted DVD movie. Then click your iPhone under Devices. In the Video tab, under Movies, check the Sync movies and the movie you added. Sync.

That did it! Good luck!

snook911

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2007
Yorba Linda, CA
if the movie is in iTunes I don't think you need to use handbrake. You should be able to just right click it and choose convert for iPod/iPhone. I had the same problem with the MP4 movies I made with my camera and this worked.

sunfast

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2005
Some features are not supported on the iPhone but can be played by other devices. A few of my mp4s had this problem but Visual Hub sorted me out :)

Dimwhit

macrumors 68020
Apr 10, 2007
I'm fighting with this as well. VisualHub works, if you use the right settings (the iTunes tab, not the mp4 tab).

If I had to guess, I would say that the problem with your file is the audio. For some reason I'll never understand, the audio track can't have a bit rate greater than 160, which is common if the mp4 isn't specifically formatted for the iPhone. That was my issue, anyway.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.