Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Joe M

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 31, 2008
I already own a iPod touch and I wanted to get the 80GB iPod classic since it has more space and I wanted to use it primarily to out to my television using the new Apple AV cable and as a second iPod when my brother is using the iPod touch, since he helped pay for it. I was wondering if I should buy it not or not since on the buyer's guide it says to only buy it if needed because its coming close to an update and i don't really need it right know and if I could get 160GB version for the price of what it costs for the 80GB then I would wait but I don't want to wait pass this summer. Does anyone know when the next update is and should I wait or should I buy it now.

Joe M

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 31, 2008
Yes but I only wanted to pay the amount for the 80GB version, so I don't care if the 80GB version becomes abosolete, and when the update comes the 160GB would be at the $249 and a bigger hardrive would be at the higher end, if I'm right about this. I am willing to wait until the update for more harddrive space at the same price level but I am not willing to buy the 160GB at this time.

Mr.Noisy

macrumors 65816
May 5, 2007
UK™
Get the 80gb Classic, wont be obselete for a long time, ive got one, it's great, loads of storage, ive got about 26 films and a series of a tv show plus about 800 mp3's on it and still over 54gb free, i'll keep this for a while :)

at least till a 1tb ipods released :eek:

Mushrooshi

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2007
Ive got:

Naruto eps 1-135

Shippuuden 1-52

Bleach 1-25

The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya 1-14

Trigun 1-26

And 10 movies.

as well as 2 GIANT podcasts, and 150 MP3s, and I have 45GB left.

yukon0013

macrumors regular
Jul 3, 2006
Vancouver, Canada
I would recommend you just get the 80 Gb Classic now.. I got one yesterday and am loving it.. no buyers remorse here. You also probably would be surprised how much the ipod will hold..

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania
I would recommend you just get the 80 Gb Classic now.. I got one yesterday and am loving it.. no buyers remorse here. You also probably would be surprised how much the ipod will hold..

Yukon0013, Is the iPod snappy like the old ones were? Did they finally iron out all of the bugs? I say this because I'm thinking about picking up a new iPod for my trip to spain, but I'm not sure if I want to get a 5.5G or a 6G.

yukon0013

macrumors regular
Jul 3, 2006
Vancouver, Canada
The ipod Classic is fantastic .. I love it. Its really fast when switching through songs and menus and theres no delay at all. Everything about it is perfect

tianuk3

macrumors member
Oct 29, 2007
been thinking about getting one too! I have 62gb of music currently on itunes, and wouldn't mind putting some videos on, so does that mean 80gb ipod will be sufficient? bear in mind if i add more albums.. my mate is just about to goto us, so I may pick one up from there as I have heard the EU ones have a sound limiter.

it says not to buy now unless needed on the buyers guide, any ideas of updates? i mean ipod touch is just too small otherwise it would have been perfect.

bluedoggiant

macrumors 68030
Jul 13, 2007
MD & ATL,GA
Good, that makes me feel much better about buying one now!

YES, YES!! my friend has a 5g ipod, its terrible, and the classic was worse in the store, i got my classic, and its zippier than his, but nothing beats my old non-color-screen 4g ipod at speed :D.

get one, its awesome, hell there are millions with 5g's and 5.5g's not complaining, ipod classic is the new thing, the Think Different™ thing :p

rockthecasbah

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2005
Moorestown, NJ
The next platter size for the iPods will be 120GB, not 160. That means 120GB would replace the 80GB model and 240GB would replace 160GB. A June update is unlikely because Apple uses the summer to promote the Free iPod Nano w/ computer purchase for college students. That clearance also gives a sizeable discount off of more expensive models in hopes of clearing out their back stock of the generation so they can release new models in the fall, just in time for the holidays.

Unless you are willing to wait until at least late August or September, you should buy now and enjoy it. That time frame is still close to 6 months away... Odds are that new iPods won't come out until then given the recent trend Apple has been following the last few years with release dates.

iBookfan

macrumors 6502
Feb 5, 2008
The next platter size for the iPods will be 120GB, not 160. That means 120GB would replace the 80GB model and 240GB would replace 160GB. A June update is unlikely because Apple uses the summer to promote the Free iPod Nano w/ computer purchase for college students. That clearance also gives a sizeable discount off of more expensive models in hopes of clearing out their back stock of the generation so they can release new models in the fall, just in time for the holidays.

Unless you are willing to wait until at least late August or September, you should buy now and enjoy it. That time frame is still close to 6 months away... Odds are that new iPods won't come out until then given the recent trend Apple has been following the last few years with release dates.

It's a great iPod. I have had mine for 6 months now and it works like a charm. I upgraded from a iPod Photo with 20 gb. And this is beatifully! And it matches my black macbook. I'll get the black one, but as on the macbook - Be aware of fingerprints. 'Cause it's going to get those, and also oily marks. Though you can buy a invisble Shield for it for about 25 bucks. Like I did. And now it's glossy.

But what the hell - they'll always update electronics and you can't be on the "wave" all the time, unless your wallet is a "big mother ****er" - from the "bad mother ****er" dialoge in Pulp Fiction :)

zainjetha

macrumors 6502a
Aug 11, 2007
Take a look at Refurb Store - IPods from there are amazing condition. It might make the 160gb more palatable or the 80gb even cheaper. Your call, and even if it has a tiny scratch it will be hooked to your TV so you wouldnt care.

dubhe

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2007
Norwich, UK
been thinking about getting one too! I have 62gb of music currently on itunes, and wouldn't mind putting some videos on, so does that mean 80gb ipod will be sufficient? bear in mind if i add more albums.. my mate is just about to goto us, so I may pick one up from there as I have heard the EU ones have a sound limiter.

it says not to buy now unless needed on the buyers guide, any ideas of updates? i mean ipod touch is just too small otherwise it would have been perfect.

You don't have to keep all the movies on all of the time.
I have the 80GB because it is thinner than the 160GB and this is more important to me when I carry it around.

dubhe

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2007
Norwich, UK

I agree with all of the above, and in addition can't see what else they would do to update it other than increase the size. The current classic is faultless! The next 'proper' classic update will be Flash, but not for a few years...

Joe M

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 31, 2008
I went ahead and bought the 80GB for $174 off ebay, its a used one but the listing said it was in like new condition and only had be used for 2 months with is good enough for me. I also bought a 500GB external hard drive for under a 100 so the combined price of the ipod and the hard drive is very close the the brand new price of a new iPod classic with tax.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.