Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jenelia

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 28, 2008
Hi guys,
I am looking for the fast and easy to use DVD ripping software, which can provide high speed with excellent quality. I am facing storage problem in my system, as DVD format movies are large files which use a lot of space in hard drive. Any help will be highly appreciated.
Thanks a lot!

bigbadnewill

macrumors 6502
Jun 6, 2007

I actually prefer ripping with MtR and then converting it with Handbrake.

That's just me though.

I'm not disagreeing with you at all, but why do you prefer mactheripper to rip it when handbrake can do it all in one?

(I'm always trying to learn, so not being a knob) :)

TheStu

macrumors 65816
Aug 20, 2006
Carlisle, PA
I'm not disagreeing with you at all, but why do you prefer mactheripper to rip it when handbrake can do it all in one?

(I'm always trying to learn, so not being a knob) :)

At times it is preferable since some DVDs include encryption that Handbrake cannot get through.

Also, if you have gobs of hard drive space, you can then keep the full quality rips from MtR to create backup copies of your DVDs.

pkoch1

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2007
Boston
I use both MacTheRipper and Handbrake also.

Reason being, both rips take about the same time on my computer, so i can just rip 2 dvds at once using MTR, then while im converting with HandBrake, I can rip 2 more dvds at the same time (god bless dual superdrives). Lather, Rinse, Repeat. That way I get 2 dvds done every 20 minutes or so. Then I open them up with MetaX, get most of the tagging info straight from there, but get a high quality poster from impawards.com. It gives me something to do during the 20 minutes of downtime.

EDIT: and MacTheRipper bypasses some copy protection like was said earlier

pkoch1

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2007
Boston
Will mactheripper tell you if it can't copy a dvd because of copy protection?

I've never come across a DVD that it couldn't copy. It's very good at all sorts of copy protection, but it crashes sometimes, so maybe that's when there is copy protection it can't handle?

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
Handbrake is simpler and involves 1 step to rip a DVD and convert it to a file you like. You can just do it, and leave. When you come back, it'll be finished.

MTR + Handbrake is 2 steps, but it's also faster overall.

iNelson

macrumors newbie
Mar 8, 2008
I have to say that MTR is very easy to use. It gives you a nice video_ts file that is easy to store, play from DVD player, burn from toast or make smaller versions (like for iPod) with handbrake.

I have come across a few DVD's that could not be copied with MTR for who knows what reason. (I had version 2.6.6).

By only using Handbrake you are limited to the file you choose to make in the moment.

pkoch1

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2007
Boston
I have to say that MTR is very easy to use. It gives you a nice video_ts file that is easy to store, play from DVD player, burn from toast or make smaller versions (like for iPod) with handbrake.

I have come across a few DVD's that could not be copied with MTR for who knows what reason. (I had version 2.6.6).

By only using Handbrake you are limited to the file you choose to make in the moment.

Yeah, and you have access to special features, etc.

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
Even though this isnt my thread I got some good info out of it. Thanks for the advice guys :)

I too am in a situation of the original poster. I have plenty of DVD movies that I keep on a computer thats hooked to my projector in my entertainment room so I can just click the movie I want to watch. (A big setup for someone who rarely watches movies even though I buy them like crazy)

I dont like to use the dvd disks themselves because not only do they get scratched and skip but careless people who come in my house root through them and lose them, or borrow and never return them, etc. Having them on the computer is a lot better alternative. When I get a new movie, its off to be ripped to the computer, then it goes in my locked dvd cabinet and never sees daylight again.

winty03

macrumors regular
Jan 16, 2008
MTR keeps the DVD in its native quality, no down grading or shrinking (more storage space required). Also I had been running the 2.6.6 version of MTR but was running into many new DVD that would not rip because of copy protection, which the companies purposely write bad sectors to the disc which 2.6.6 couldn't deal with. With a donation to MTR I received 3.0 and it works flawlessly. If your looking to rip a DVD with less space/quality handbrake is the program for you. You can rip and convert it all in one, set into many formats and or .mp4 for playing in itunes. But I like keeping it in the native format using MTR 3.0 and using DVD player pointing it to the ts-video folder and your off and running. After kids destroy the DVD all I need to do is reburn MTR backup and I have the movie again!

logana

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2006
Scotland
Another vote for mactheripper - highly recommended

You really need the latest version - 2.6.6 must be about 2 or 3 years old now and dvd protection has come a long way in that time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.