Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

slooksterPSV

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 17, 2004
Nowheresville
I'm working on a lab that when someone burns a cd from their user profile (stored on the server) and someone tries to copy the data off of it, it says they don't have privileges to do so.

How can I fix this? I'm thinking it has something to do with Hybrid CD burning (HFS+/ISO 9660) and the permissions of the folder itself - like the cd burns the permissions along with the files.

Is there a way to fix this or am I stuck?

dops7107

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2005
Perth, Oztrailya
Something kind of similar happened to me yesterday with a USB thumb drive. I found if I copied folders, I had no permission. But if I copied the files within these folders, it worked. I also lost info about which app to open the files with - they reverted to the default (e.g. Preview for pdfs, rather than Acrobat). So try copying a few stand-alone files, see if that helps.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
I'm working on a lab that when someone burns a cd from their user profile (stored on the server) and someone tries to copy the data off of it, it says they don't have privileges to do so.

How can I fix this? I'm thinking it has something to do with Hybrid CD burning (HFS+/ISO 9660) and the permissions of the folder itself - like the cd burns the permissions along with the files.

Is there a way to fix this or am I stuck?

What does "Get Info" tell you. Permissions are shown near the bottom of the info panel. Worst case is you will have to "su" (or "sudo") to root to read the files

slooksterPSV

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 17, 2004
Nowheresville
Well, the issue is I don't want the students having root access or admin access, for the simplicity of security. Well, it does this even if its a FAT12, FAT16 or FAT32 volume, users can't copy images to their homefolders. FAT12, 16, and 32, AFAIK, don't carry over permissions. And besides, some of the folders are just barely created so their are no permissions set, nor permission files set for these drives (SD Cards, CF Cards, Jump Drives, etc.)

Very very confusing... hmmmm... I've never had an issue with this, it could be something specific to the users because the users have different GUIDs from the 10.5 that we HAD setup. I wonder if its a user GUID issue.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.