Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Spongey817

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 4, 2008
Before I state the issue, I'll note that although I've tried searching the forum, I'm still unsure of the answer to my question.

Anyway...

I am currently an existing ATT customer on a family plan with four lines. Part of my plan now includes unlimited texting (on all four lines). I plan to buy an iPhone in the future and would like to purchase a data plan. Does this mean that after activating the iPhone with the lowest data plan, I will have both unlimited data AND unlimited texting? Or is the iPhone excluded from my current unlimited texting plan?

I'm sure this question may have been asked, but I've yet to come up with a concrete answer.

Thanks guys...

Note: I do not plan to unlock/jailbreak

~*allison*~

macrumors regular
I was told by AT&T that the iPhone is a separate plan from all the other phones on a family plan. My husband and I both bought iPhones and had to upgrade to the 1500 text messaging on each. I was told by the two different AT&T reps I spoke to that even the unlimited wireless to wireless (AT&T to AT&T text messaging) wasn't included in the iPhone text plans. I could be wrong, but that's what I was told. If I was lied to (twice) someone please correct me so we can save the extra $20 a month on our bill.

Spongey817

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 4, 2008
I was told by AT&T that the iPhone is a separate plan from all the other phones on a family plan. My husband and I both bought iPhones and had to upgrade to the 1500 text messaging on each. I was told by the two different AT&T reps I spoke to that even the unlimited wireless to wireless (AT&T to AT&T text messaging) wasn't included in the iPhone text plans. I could be wrong, but that's what I was told. If I was lied to (twice) someone please correct me so we can save the extra $20 a month on our bill.

Thanks for the reply...

Hmmm, it seems to vary depending on location. I've heard a few stories of existing plans carrying over, but that might simply be an error from an AT&T employee. In any case, it does seem logical that AT&T would have iPhone plans separate.

Anyone else?

ViPa

macrumors 6502a
Dec 4, 2007
okay heres the official word..from me (i work there)..you can keep your existing unlimited texting..although you'll be on your own iphone text plan, you will still roll over onto your unlimited texting if you go over on your iphone text messaging plan..for example..if you get the $20 iphone plan which includes 200 texts..and say you used 250 texts..those extra 50 texts will come from the family unlimited messaging plan..you will not be charged an overage fee

hope that answers your question!

Aj2488

macrumors regular
Dec 13, 2007
Chicago Suburbs
okay heres the official word..from me (i work there)..you can keep your existing unlimited texting..although you'll be on your own iphone text plan, you will still roll over onto your unlimited texting if you go over on your iphone text messaging plan..for example..if you get the $20 iphone plan which includes 200 texts..and say you used 250 texts..those extra 50 texts will come from the family unlimited messaging plan..you will not be charged an overage fee

If you already split unlimited texting with someone else and split minutes with them and a 3rd person as well, could I just add the data plan for the iPhone and be good to go?

Spongey817

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 4, 2008

Great! So essentially, if I already have unlimited texting with my current plan, I just have to pay $20 a month to get unlimited text and data for the iPhone.

Thanks for your help guys, it's greatly appreciated

theHunter

macrumors newbie
Jan 28, 2008
My wife has iphone on family plan with 4 phones on $20 data plan and we have unlimited family texting due to the kids and it also applies to the iphone. after she uses the first 200 it then says unlimited. We have had this plan for 2 months now and have not even had to call at&t, they have gotten it right both months so far!!

Spongey817

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 4, 2008
My wife has iphone on family plan with 4 phones on $20 data plan and we have unlimited family texting due to the kids and it also applies to the iphone. after she uses the first 200 it then says unlimited. We have had this plan for 2 months now and have not even had to call at&t, they have gotten it right both months so far!!

Perfect, that's almost the exact situation I'll be in. Thanks!

SFStateStudent

macrumors 604
Aug 28, 2007
San Francisco California, USA
We have 2 iphones ($20 for each data plan) , 1 Blackberry ($30 data plan) and 1 KRZR, we share 1400 minutes, and family unlimited text plan $29.99, unlimited M2M, 7pm unlimited Mon-Fri v. 9pm, and 6,000+ rollover minutes. Bill averages $240 per month. Extremely happy with our AT&T bill. We average about 3700 Text Messages per month between the four of us. We'll be adding a 3rd iPhone next month, (this will appease my off-duty supervisor) so, that'll bump the bill up to $65 per person per month. :cool:

attiphone

macrumors newbie
Sep 27, 2008

I have an iphone 2G that i want unlimited texting on a family plan with 3 other phones, but the att people say that you have to pay extra because its an old iphone. Why?

siufai

macrumors member
Aug 31, 2008
I have an iphone 2G that i want unlimited texting on a family plan with 3 other phones, but the att people say that you have to pay extra because its an old iphone. Why?

because the 2g iPhone data plan includes 200 text and unlimited data. The new 3g plan is for unlimited data only and the you have to add a text plan with it. (200 text for $5)

bstpierre

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2008

We have a family plan that includes 1 razor, 1 2g iPhone and 1 3g iPhone. We have unlimited texting. We are not paying extra for the "old" iPhone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.