Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jshwon

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 2, 2007
How hot dose your iMac run? I am using iStat pro so I'm not sure how accurate the readings are but mine shows the following:

CPU 103
GPU 128
GPU diode 128

Ambient 81

Mem controller 117
Airport card 113
HD Bay 128

These are all in fahrenheit. Are these high? I don't have the a/c on here in Houston. Just wondering if I am above or below norm.

Leon Kowalski

macrumors 6502a

Jshwon

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 2, 2007
That HD Bay temp (53C) is VERY high. It's within a few degrees of any drive
manufacturers' absolute maximum operating temperature spec -- and hotter
than the peak transient temps observed with most drives during torture-test
benchmarking at tomshardware.com.

http://www23.tomshardware.com/storage.html?modelx=33&model1=1013&model2=1086&chart=39

...heat kills hard drives,

LK
So this is the only temp that seems above normal? Anyone else drive running this hot?

Dimwhit

macrumors 68020
Apr 10, 2007
My HD temp is at 53 degrees. If that's too hot...well, I guess it's good I have a double backup system in case it fries.

Morod

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2008
On The Nickel, over there....
My temps for comparison:

CPU 95
GPU 115
GPU diode 115

Ambient 70

Mem controller 101
Airport card 103
HD Bay 103

This is one hour after waking from sleep, just web browsing. My ambient temp is quite a bit cooler than you, and that could be the difference. Here are my fan speeds as well:

CPU Fan 1198
Hard Drive 1200
Optical drive 699

Hope this helps,
Morod

Jshwon

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 2, 2007
My temps for comparison:

CPU 95
GPU 115
GPU diode 115

Ambient 70

Mem controller 101
Airport card 103
HD Bay 103

This is one hour after waking from sleep, just web browsing. My ambient temp is quite a bit cooler than you, and that could be the difference. Here are my fan speeds as well:

CPU Fan 1198
Hard Drive 1200
Optical drive 699

Hope this helps,
Morod

Thanks, yeah mine are pretty on par with your numbers when the ambient temp is in the 70's. When I get home I turn the a/c off and now the ambient is up to 81 which seems to be causing the temp increase.

chkdg8

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2007
So, are these temps in the OK range? I'm using Fahrenheit scale. I'm afraid to post a pic of my temps during HL2 gameplay on Steam. I can fry an egg.

Attachments

• temps.png
    temps.png
    77.4 KB · Views: 321

aki

macrumors 6502a
Mar 2, 2004
Japan
This topic has been covered a billion times already so search will give you more info but here's my basic take.

iMacs run a bit on the hot side.

They feel hot. This is normal - it's how they expel heat from the insides. iStat or similar should be your guide, not your fingers.

iMacs are well designed. If you use your iMac "normally" and expect it to last a "normal" lifespan you should forget iStat exists.

If you use your mac for heavy lifting for long periods, and/or you use Windows a lot, and/or you game in Windows, and/or you want your iMac to last into the 3-5 year bracket rather than the more normal 1-3 year one, then and only then you might want to consider the manual heat-management options available.

You can use iStat or iStat Pro to monitor temperatures. Most of your components, CPU, GPU and the like, are rated for very high temperatures indeed; temperatures you should never get even close to bar fan failure or similar dramatic hardware error. The most vulnerable component as a prev poster noted is your internal HD. Heat does, as noted above, kill. Which means, more soberly, sustained high temperatures will reduce the lifespan of your hard drive/make hard drive failure more likely.

Exactly what temperatures, opinions vary. Frankly, in this post-Timemachine era, everyone should be making frequent backups anyway. But that aside. From my reading of the bazillion posts I average it out that over 55 C for the HD is bad, and I personally try to keep it at around 50 C or under when I can. (When gaming, with fan management as outlined below, I end up with temps between say 50 and 55 C - not ideal in my book but it's not like I game 24/7.)

Note spiking in temps is ok, what we are talking about here is encoding video or marathon Halo sessions or whatever where the temps are high, regularly, for extended periods.

So, presuming you are concerned about your HD, and your usage is on the heavy side, there are a number of apps which allow you to manually manage your fan speeds. They work in different ways, the one I use(d) on my iMac, smcfancontrol, allows you to set profiles with different speed settings for each fan. I have a gaming profile which kicks up the fan speeds a little, and a Windows profile which kicks up the fan speeds quite a lot for when I'm gaming Windows-side.

Many people get paranoid about temperatures. Try to avoid this. The iMac is designed to expel heat, and you probably will be upgrading your hardware before your HD splutters, and anyway you have regular backups.

But, if you do use your machine for "pro" work, or if you game a lot, or if you are into granular control, iStat and smcfancontrol (or similar) are options which work well.

Final note, some people say these apps run the risk of wearing out your fans. That's true I guess, the question is which do you want to loose, your HD or your fan/s. Not that I'm a hardware type but I don't think the fans are especially fragile. But anyway its something else to consider.

Oh one last note: ambient temps seem to make a big difference, or at least a lot more difference than I would have guessed anyway. Where I live in Japan has a fair temperature variation between winter and summer and there is no question at all that internal temps are significantly lower in winter.

aki

macrumors 6502a
Mar 2, 2004
Japan
I kept searching on this subject and I came across an old, ugly, somewhat ridiculous but yet effective solution. I don't think I can go to that extent but hey, it works.

Actually, seeing that photo, I remember reading about those kinds of mods a while back. I'm no engineer or even close so I'm just repeating what I read, but I remember some people who sounded sort of clever (heh) saying that the iMac was designed to pull air from certain zones and push it to other zones and the fans are all in particular places etc etc - and that cutting holes and/or adding other fans messes with airflows/the magic of the design.

Which sounded plausible.

No idea really but I'm happy with smcfancontrol :) .

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.