Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LordTurtle

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 7, 2007
Just a few questions about the WWDC coming up ...

(1) Can you register at any time? or does it have to be before Monday?
Can you register online before the conference even??

(2) Do you have to book individual sessions? or is it first come first serve basis?

(3) What time does the conference start and end each day ?

(4) Are there any 'special sessions' that require Premier ADC membership?

Thx

numero

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2002
OR
1) You register online. The price they currently show is the early registration deal. Last year that expired at the end of April. Even though you register online, you have to pick up your badge at the site. I recommend not waiting until Monday morning. Head over on Sunday afternoon.

2) All sessions are open to all attendees. I didn't see anyone turned away from a session last year, but some were definitely full rooms.

3) If I am remembering correctly, the day starts at 9:00 and ends at 6:00 except for the first day when the keynote starts at 10:00. Be there no later than 7:00 on the first day if you want to be seated in the main hall for the keynote. Lunch break is 90 minutes. Apple provides lunch. Again, going from memory. Sessions are an hour and 15 minutes long with 15 minutes between sessions.

4) There are three kinds of badges. Apple employee, student, and everyone else. The Apple guys are held back and only get into sessions if there is room. The students have access to special sessions (meetings with companies that are hiring), but got screwed out of being in the main hall for the keynote last year. The rest of us (Premier, Select, and on-line) all have the same badge.

At some point Apple will probably be posting the session schedule. It is definitely a work in progress. They will post a few sessions and then add some and then move some and then add some . . . This goes on right up through WWDC. It's not chaos. Apple does a good job of organizing it. I'm just letting you know what to expect.

If you are flying in for this, don't worry about transportation. The local train (BART) will take you from the airport to the convention center for $5.15. I recommend getting a hotel in the convention center area. It will probably cost you $200-$250/night.

larkost

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2007
I would advise you that the official ending of the day is no where near the end of the program that you should count of. There are official programs most evenings (Apple Beer Bash, a Stump the Experts evening, etc), and the unofficial program is even better. Plan on being busy at least until 9 most nights.

And a lot of people skip out of the final (short) session on Friday, but I always make sure to stay, and have been rewarded by some great sessions.

And they have had an on-line schedule of official events (and another one of unofficial events). Take advantage of that, and plan ahead. There are a lot of sessions, and you will find that there will be conflicts where you can't go to two that you want to go to. Be prepared for that.

kainjow

Moderator emeritus
Jun 15, 2000
The students have access to special sessions (meetings with companies that are hiring), but got screwed out of being in the main hall for the keynote last year.

Last year was my first year going, and I was excited to see the keynote live, but then we were shafted at the last minute :(

If you are flying in for this, don't worry about transportation. The local train (BART) will take you from the airport to the convention center for $5.15. I recommend getting a hotel in the convention center area. It will probably cost you $200-$250/night.

Yep that's what I did. Flew in, took the BART to Mission St and walked about a block to my hotel.

And a lot of people skip out of the final (short) session on Friday, but I always make sure to stay, and have been rewarded by some great sessions.

I stayed, and while they weren't the most important sessions, I still enjoyed them.

I hope I can go again this year, but it's the week before my finals, so it may be tricky. I bet there will be a ton more people this year even compared to last year because of the iPhone SDK.

LordTurtle

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 7, 2007
Many thanks for the information, just what I needed!!

Just looking at hotels now!

1) You register online. The price they currently show is the early registration deal. Last year that expired at the end of April. Even though you register online, you have to pick up your badge at the site. I recommend not waiting until Monday morning. Head over on Sunday afternoon.

2) All sessions are open to all attendees. I didn't see anyone turned away from a session last year, but some were definitely full rooms.

3) If I am remembering correctly, the day starts at 9:00 and ends at 6:00 except for the first day when the keynote starts at 10:00. Be there no later than 7:00 on the first day if you want to be seated in the main hall for the keynote. Lunch break is 90 minutes. Apple provides lunch. Again, going from memory. Sessions are an hour and 15 minutes long with 15 minutes between sessions.

4) There are three kinds of badges. Apple employee, student, and everyone else. The Apple guys are held back and only get into sessions if there is room. The students have access to special sessions (meetings with companies that are hiring), but got screwed out of being in the main hall for the keynote last year. The rest of us (Premier, Select, and on-line) all have the same badge.

At some point Apple will probably be posting the session schedule. It is definitely a work in progress. They will post a few sessions and then add some and then move some and then add some . . . This goes on right up through WWDC. It's not chaos. Apple does a good job of organizing it. I'm just letting you know what to expect.

I would advise you that the official ending of the day is no where near the end of the program that you should count of. There are official programs most evenings (Apple Beer Bash, a Stump the Experts evening, etc), and the unofficial program is even better. Plan on being busy at least until 9 most nights.

And they have had an on-line schedule of official events (and another one of unofficial events). Take advantage of that, and plan ahead. There are a lot of sessions, and you will find that there will be conflicts where you can't go to two that you want to go to. Be prepared for that.

Thanks

janey

macrumors 603
Dec 20, 2002
sunny los angeles
I recommend getting a hotel in the convention center area. It will probably cost you $200-$250/night.

Just to expand on this, I don't think it's mentioned on the site yet but Apple usually has special rates at some of the nearby hotels for attendees. I dunno where you're getting the $200-250/night figure but that's rather on the low to low-average side for most of the hotels within like what, half a mile? Last year I stayed at the pickwick at the student rate (something like $120/night or so), there are definitely cheaper options..but the vast majority are more expensive. I was going to stay at the Palomar and it was $250/night (I can't even find any rate that low for that hotel anymore...) and the new intercontinental san francisco is..well...$$$$$$$$$$$$$ but right next to moscone west. For some reason all the hotels I've looked at recently have no rooms available for the entire week of WWDC or something...hrmmmm...

I've given up on hotwire cause the hotels are fairly predictable and the prices weren't that fantastic. :rolleyes:

numero

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2002
OR
The hotel rates seemed to have gone up this year. At first glance I see the $400+ rooms. Wow.

Last year I was at the Touchstone for about $110/night. Really can't recommend. It was clean and safe, but not a place I would want my wife staying at.

I found the Cathedral Hill Hotel at $127/night. Looks ok in the pictures, but maybe it is another Touchstone deal.

I'm not paying $400/night. Maybe I'll take a train ride in from somewhere away from the convention area. Maybe I can find some deals in downtown Oakland? :D

kainjow

Moderator emeritus
Jun 15, 2000
Last year I stayed at the pickwick at the student rate (something like $120/night or so), there are definitely cheaper options..but the vast majority are more expensive.

I stayed at the Pickwick as well but I could have sworn it cost much more than $120/night, more like 250, but maybe my memory's gone bad. However I did have a roommate which I would recommend for keeping your costs lower.

Man, I've really got to get over to WWDC one of the these years... :p

Do it! If you're a student you can apply for the student scholarship (just did mine a few days ago).

Last year I was at the Touchstone for about $110/night. Really can't recommend. It was clean and safe, but not a place I would want my wife staying at.

What did you not like about it?

Sbrocket

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2007
/dev/null
Do it! If you're a student you can apply for the student scholarship (just did mine a few days ago).

Bah, I would in a heartbeat, especially since I'm sure they'll have tons of iPhone developer sessions this year...but I think it would interfere with some courses I'm taking this summer. Maybe I can squeeze it in...

Plus, I think I've still technically only a online membership rather than a student membership. Maybe I'll spring to upgrade when I upgrade my MBP whenever the next revision is, but I just spend $99 on some other program I can't name. :p

(Are there requirements on the academic program you're in for the Student ADC membership, or do you know kainjow?)

kainjow

Moderator emeritus
Jun 15, 2000
(Are there requirements on the academic program you're in for the Student ADC membership, or do you know kainjow?)

The only requirement is you provide them proof that you're a student (I did it via fax). They approved my account the same day, and I applied shortly after.

The event conflicts with my course schedule too but last year I was able to get excused and should be able to do it again this year. The deadline is April 10 though (after that you get put on a waiting list) so make up your mind quick! :)

nikiski

macrumors regular
Sorry about capturing an old thread, but I'd like some advice on hotels. I'm not familiar with the area but which hotel would you guys recommend that is:

130 dollars or less a night
In a safe area
Within walking distance from Moscone West

If you guys know of any ways to get cheaper rates please also let me know. I'll be flying in from Hong Kong.

janey

macrumors 603
Dec 20, 2002
sunny los angeles
Sorry about capturing an old thread, but I'd like some advice on hotels....
Oh dear. I think you're going to have a harder time because it's so soon. I'd suggest checking out all the hostels in the area, and maybe give up the idea of walking distance as most of those hotels are pricey...moscone west is close to bart and all so you shouldn't have much trouble with public transit.

There's a big thread http://www.facebook.com/topic.php?uid=10294975998&topic=3761 and some people are still looking for roommates, maybe you'll be able to find someone?

Good luck :)

janey

macrumors 603
Dec 20, 2002
sunny los angeles
I stayed at the Pickwick as well but I could have sworn it cost much more than $120/night, more like 250, but maybe my memory's gone bad. However I did have a roommate which I would recommend for keeping your costs lower.

Ack, just spotted this. It was ~$140/night after taxes for me, and that was the student dev rate that Apple had.

Unfortunately nothing like that this year. :(

dgdosen

macrumors 68030
Dec 13, 2003
Seattle
Just a few questions about the WWDC coming up ...

(1) Can you register at any time? or does it have to be before Monday?
Can you register online before the conference even??

(2) Do you have to book individual sessions? or is it first come first serve basis?

(3) What time does the conference start and end each day ?

(4) Are there any 'special sessions' that require Premier ADC membership?

Thx

More info:

1) By register - I think you mean pick up your badge - you can do that any day - even Sunday. The admin people are there all day every day.

2) First come first server. Some of the more in demand sessions will make you have to sit on the floor.

I also remember waiting in line for what must have been an hour and a half or so for the keynote. Be prepared to wait outside. I think the three or four Starbuck's nearby had lines out the door during the wait.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.