Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Eric S.

macrumors 68040
Feb 1, 2008
Santa Cruz Mountains, California
I'm sure I'll be in the minority on this, but the plastic case is one of the big reasons I would choose a MB over a MBP (if only it had a matte screen too!). I'm not ready to upgrade from my iBook G4 at this point, but when I am maybe I'll have to go shopping on eBay instead of at the Apple store. :(

R34

macrumors newbie
Mar 29, 2008
ive always thought that the MBP design was extremely outdated. especially the way that apple goes through product redesigns. I'm in the market for a new comp and was planning on waiting till at least WWDC. now the wait is going to take forever!

JamesWilk

macrumors newbie
Dec 9, 2007
I thought i would take on making a mock up of the new design lol, from the standards Apple Insider said

mcxdeb.jpg

its a bit smaller, the imac screen, with Air thicknes of it, curves on the edges the same because I didnt bother to make them a litle sharper.

andiwm2003

macrumors 601
Mar 29, 2004
Boston, MA
please give us a dock connector!

well, i guess it's not gonna happen anytime soon if ever but i still can dream.

anyway, with the macbooks going alu and with intel pushing apple into montevina the difference between macbook and macbook pro gets smaller and smaller. there is only fw 800, express card and the gpu left.

i wouldn't mind a 2.8gHz macbook for $1400.:D

i've wanted to update for over a year now but life stopped me from doing so. seems that my next upgrade will be from a 1.5 GHz PB to a 2.8-3GHz dual core MB or MBP. that will rock.

notjustjay

macrumors 603
Sep 19, 2003
Canada, eh?
(sorry, I skipped the 8 pages of existing comments).

... but I for one really LIKE the PowerBook G4 style keyboard, and if the next revision of MBP is going to see a transition to, say, black chicklet style keys like the MBA, then I will definitely avail myself of a current MBP refurb.

k2k koos

macrumors 6502a
looking forward to this :)

I have a G4 Powerbook Alu, and it still looks the same now pretty much, it means that my machine still looks up to date, and blends in, but can't keep up with it's newer brothers of course. However, before I retire my G4, I'd like to see a new enclosure, to mark the upgrade.
Alltogether, it does prove how timeless the current design is, but it's time for something new I guess :) :apple:

morespce54

macrumors 65816
Apr 30, 2004
Around the World
...So now what?? Get my MACbook and cry when the new one comes out (but then again I know plenty of people still running ibooks as they have not died yet - so many I won't dry too hard), or do I wait and risk not have the money again.

What to do? What to do?

For what it matter, my GF's iBook (2004) is still working nicely. The only problem is the battery, but then, it's Achile's Heel of every notebook. Granted that 10.5 takes up a lot of power for 1GB of ram and, as mentioned before, the casing color kind of change but still for a 2004 notebook...

So my advice is: buy it (now) if you need it. It will (still) be a good computer in a few years. Don't forget that everything become obsolete the day you buy it ;)

skellener

macrumors 68000
Jun 23, 2003
So. Cal.
80% Positive:
Blu-ray (standard or BTO) for MBP

80%? I don't think so. I seriously doubt this will happen this year. Remember, Apple wants it users to watch iTunes content (especially the mobile ones), not Blu-ray content. As far as back-up though, you'll see it in the MacPro first. Even that may not happen until MacWorld 2009.

Nesper

macrumors newbie
Mar 19, 2008
Wow, where do I start?

First off let me just say that I have only been in this “Mac” game for about 6 months, I just picked up a new MBP on the day they dropped. I love the way they look, and I love the way every PC laptop owner stairs at it wherever I use it. But I do have to say this is getting kind of ridiculous Apple, I mean why must there be a new release for every new chip Intel makes? I mean Intel has a new chip planned every 4-6 months for the next 10 years? Wouldn’t that be like car makes producing new cars every 6 months because of 1hp difference?

The way I look at my MBP, and buying it when I did is this, I loved the looks, I wanted to drop my PC, and I had the money. Even if the new MBP blows my current MBP out of the water, I

A. Could never bring myself to buy a “first gen” of anything.
B. Could not get over how sexy my current MBP is, UNLESS again if the new one, in terms of looks blows the current design out of the water.

I have started to fall into the dark side, which is the cult of Apple, and to tell you the truth I don’t mind one bit, I never understood and still to this day cant make my friends and family understand why I paid $$$$ for a laptop that can do the same as a laptop that cost $$, but its is so true “you get what you pay for” and I have never been so happy with a laptop as I am with my current MBP….not to mention never been so happy with a brand and their lever of customer service at my local Apple store.

That being said “bring it on” Apple redesign it, the truth of the matter is “you cant kill a classic” when the new MBP comes out and everyone hates them, then what? People all post on the forums “I will just wait till the “XXXXXXXXXX” platform and super duper green ray disc, with 8G and wireless R… It’s a never-ending game that I personally don’t want to watch from the sidelines, I wanna jump in and PLAY!

“Dream like there always tomorrow, live like there’s not!”

Me and my MBP wish the “waiters” good luck. :apple:

:D

swagi

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2007
99% Positive:

Chiclet keyboard for MBP

Purely a Wishlist:

Separate Media Key Row instead of Using FN Keys

Absolutely pray for no chiclet keyboard. I currently use the new Alu keyboard, and it feels so bad compared to my PB keyboard. Maybe we get the good old transparent pismo keyboard back (that looked great)!

And, Jesus, I really hope your wish of a seperate media key row would come true. It's so damn MF annoying, that you can't have both functionalities at once. Use F-keys to bring up palettes or use F-keys to Exposé.

alfaphlex

macrumors newbie
Feb 18, 2008
I thought i would take on making a mock up of the new design lol, from the standards Apple Insider said

mcxdeb.jpg

its a bit smaller, the imac screen, with Air thicknes of it, curves on the edges the same because I didnt bother to make them a litle sharper.

Though it looks nice, I wouldn't want to see anything like that. It's still too similar to the current MBP look. The biggest difference being the iMac screen, it would be horribly wasted space with the black areas there serving no purpose. You could easily use that space for much need screen real-estate. Imagine a 17 inch MBP 2 inches wider and taller because of that design.

Quu

macrumors 68040
Apr 2, 2007
Pretty interesting. I bought a 17" MBP in 2006, and its starting to show its age now. (802.11g wireless, Core Duo, 32-bit only, 2GB RAM, 100GB HD, X1600 256MB, 1680x1050 display rez).

If they redesign the MacBook Pro it may be enough for me to get a new one although there are some very attractive competitor laptops these days.

headfuzz

macrumors 6502
Apr 13, 2007
Brighton, UK
:confused:

Sigh - here we go again.... Ok, it is not like I am not excited, because I am. But this is my problem. Ever since the ibook G4 was in its final days just before the Macbooks came out. I have wanted a MAC. Everytime it looks like I have money to buy one, a newer one comes out that is faster, better, and a little lower in price for what it offers.

Then I wait and low and behold something comes up that I have no choice but to spend the money I was saving for a MAC.

Then out comes the new version and I have no money for a MAC. I was going to buy my macbook this month since my Dell's opticle drive quit and I had to buy an external one (along with an external Hard Drive because my wife took over my HP desktop, the laptop drive is too small for all I need, and I can no longer read DVD's due to the drive quitting - yeah me who thinks it is foolish to have to connect external drives to a laptop as a laptop is supposed to be portable). My Dell is only 2 years old and out of warrently.

So now what?? Get my MACbook and cry when the new one comes out (but then again I know plenty of people still running ibooks as they have not died yet - so many I won't dry too hard), or do I wait and risk not have the money again.

What to do? What to do?

<off topic>

Why oh why do some people insist on typing "Mac" all in capitals in the middle of an otherwise normally typed sentence? It really bugs me.

</off topic>

ncbill

macrumors 6502
Aug 18, 2002
LED backlight standard on the MacBook, please!

Backlit keyboard would be nice, but I don't see it happening on the MacBook.

Moving to aluminum from polycarb will make the case slightly smaller - compare the 12" iBook to the 12" Powerbook to see what I mean.

skellener

macrumors 68000
Jun 23, 2003
So. Cal.
First off let me just say that I have only been in this “Mac” game for about 6 months, I just picked up a new MBP on the day they dropped. I love the way they look, and I love the way every PC laptop owner stairs at it wherever I use it. But I do have to say this is getting kind of ridiculous Apple, I mean why must there be a new release for every new chip Intel makes?
But really, they don't. The current look of the MBP hasn't really changed a whole lot since the TiBook. It's still basically still the same slim, metal laptop look. The MacPro hasn't changed since it was a G5. The monitors haven't changed since they were clear acrylic. All of this stuff is waaaaay over due for updates. It is certainly time for something new. You'll probably see more of the cues from the AIR in upcoming MBP's.

I do like the iMac bezel in the design posted by JamesWilk. I don't know if they'll go that route, but I like it.

Adokimus

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2007
Boston, MA
I, as well, was expecting something like this. In a previous thread I had someone make a mock-up to my specifications. I forget his/her name, but I'll try to search and find it to give them credit. I think it came out awesome:

MBP_New_Bayol.jpg

i.maverick

macrumors regular
Dec 13, 2007
somewhere I belong
This is just more fuel to the fire without an concrete evidence. I guess EVENTUALLY they will see a design change which will make all the speculation true. I'm waiting for someone to say that they WILL and WHEN and provide EVIDENCE to support the claim. Until then, this isn't a story.

here boy.. welcome to the rumor site. i think what you're looking for is apple.com.
ya.. that's rite. they don't have it yet. so bye bye then. be seein ya!
ltr
;)

fastbite

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2007
London
"...borrowing several design cues from the August 2007 aluminum iMacs and all-new MacBook Air." So I guess we'll have a screen resembling the iMac and an a more 'organic' shape like the Air. GREAT!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.