Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fivepoint

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 28, 2007
IOWA
The last two times we've had company over, I go to play some music over the AppleTV and to my dismay I can't access any music from my computer. I go and check iTunes, and the AppleTV isn't even in the sourcelist!

I double checked my internet connection on both ends... the AppleTV can watch theatrical trailers and the iMac can do the internet... so I know they are both connected to the wireless network.

The first time it happened, i got it to work after about 2 hours of fiddling, resetting the Airport Express and recreating my network from scratch. I don't think I should have to do this!

Why does it work one minute, and the next it can't access info from the iMac and the iMac can't see the AppleTV? To make things even more strange, although the AppleTV does not show up in the sourcelist, I CAN play music over the AppleTV via Airtunes. Talk about strange!

Any advice would be most appreciated!

(I am running the most up to date software on the iMac and AppleTV)

patsfan83

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2008
I've experienced the same thing. I thought it wasn't connected to the internet for something reason but had no problems connecting to the video store. Mine is actually connected via ethernet to an airport extreme, and my G5 powermac is over Wifi-G.

Also, since the 2.1 update, my apple tv seems to stutter a little bit more via streaming, never had a problem before. Files I'm streaming are handbraked 2500 bitrate. Any ideas? Is there a way to revert back to 2.0 somehow?

PabloPSD

macrumors newbie
Mar 15, 2008
Not liking this update

Hey All,
Like you guys I have had problems with my Apple TV since the resent update. I seem to be having issue with connecting with itunes. Worked pretty much flawlessly before. The only thing that changed was the itunes update and the Apple TV update. I have restored the unit and it is slightly better, but nit as reliable as before.

patsfan83

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2008
I had my computer logged out for a day and a half and when I fired up itunes, appletv mounted. Hopefully the problem is figured out.

Does appletv show up in another itunes login when you have it set to add another itunes account on the appletv?

Cybix

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2006
Western Australia
There's an option on the AppleTV that you need to go into.. I think it's connect to new itunes, or something like that.

Then you re-establish the connection with the pin numbers, etc... This happened to me when I installed Leopard.

Sol

macrumors 68000
Jan 14, 2003
Australia
If you are using the Apple TV as an Airtunes client then deselect it from the Remote Speakers window or from the bottom-right part of the main iTunes window. Doing so should let you navigate your library from Apple TV.

fivepoint

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 28, 2007
IOWA
If you are using the Apple TV as an Airtunes client then deselect it from the Remote Speakers window or from the bottom-right part of the main iTunes window. Doing so should let you navigate your library from Apple TV.

Ahhh... now this sounds like a truly promising solution! I will make sure to double-check this the next time the problem occurs! THANKS SO MUCH! PLEASE, Tell us how did you discovered this fix.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.