Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ovil200

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 21, 2008
I'm having trouble with my Mac Mini discovering my microphone. I'm using a Shure SM58 microphone connected to an ART Tube MP preamp, which is then connected to my Mac Mini via a 1/4 inch to a standard headphone sized jack. The cable I'm using is an iStudiolink cable, which are actually made for Macs. It's detected perfectly fine when connected to my PC, so I don't understand why I would be having problems on my Mac.

I have an Intel Core 2 Duo 1.83GHz 1GB RAM Mac Mini.

Ideas, or drivers I should download?

ramlax13

macrumors member
Jan 20, 2008
I really wouldn't recommend putting an SM58 into the mac mini through a 1/8" headphone cable. You're going to kill the sound quality doing that, making the tube preamp you are using basically useless.. I'm not sure what you are trying to use the mic for, but if it is for any type of music/audio recording, get a firewire interface that has XLR (Microphone 3 prong) in on it. I use the Presonus Inspire with my mac mini for recording my band and it works flawlessly.

They have it at Musicians Friend right now for a steal. I bought it when it was $250.

Presonus Inspire

ovil200

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 21, 2008
That's a fairly expensive upgrade. I didn't plan to do any MAJORLY high quality stuff with recording, some noise is okay, which, when I was on my Windows PC, actually wasn't bad at all.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.