Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
W

William

Good Rumor; Foolish Download

I'm as anxious as anyone to get my hands on 10.0.4. And I think the propagation of this update is encouraging.

As for going out to a hotline site and downloading the "update", the chances of this having a trojan embedded in it (whether the actual update is authentic or not) is just too great. And under Mac OS X, there's a whole lot more that can be done to your system than under OS 9.

Anyway, I hope this bodes well for a release of the next update (especially for DVD playback) but for now I'll listen to the rumors rather than risk my system. :)

S

sobelizzard

i took the risk and found one of the leaked copies of 10.0.4 and installed it... it did quite a long optimization, and my initial impressions are that: Startup appears to be quicker (this may be just a figment of my optimistic imagination), but definately (thank GOD) the Finder is more responsive. I can already tell a huge difference, just by looking at the contents of a large folder in the List view..... no sign of the coloured circle... no chugging of the machine...it seems quite snappier than before. Just to let you all know that the update that we are all waiting for IS worth it.. It is 10.0.4, build 4Q4

Kela

macrumors 6502
May 12, 2001
US
What?!?!?

A major EXCUSE ME HERE!! Wasnt an apple spokesman lamenting the other day that due to problems the upadate to 10.0.05 WOULD COME OUT ON 6th June. Now I come to Macrumors.com and I see that .0.04 has already been released?? Is there like a serious communication problem here? My software update panel is like totally chillin and thinks that my 10.0.03 is the latest. weird.

- Kela

S

sobelizzard

not released.... leaked. its not official yet, but just to let you all know, it DOES exist... not as 10.0.5, but as 10.0.4 (4Q4)... and it does speed things up.

W

WhereWhere

Can someone help us lamers in the right direction? I am unable to locate it :(

T

Tlinko

No offense....

No offense, but if you don't know where to get it then you should probably not be installing leaked internal builds of Apple's software. Just because it is out there with the 10.0.4 designation does not mean that it is the fully-tested, final build by Apple. I remember when I got my hands on a build of the first OS X update, the restart button on the installer didn't even work right. Yes, these come from Apple and they're probably safe as far as trojans and whatnot are concerned. But for all you know the reason it hasn't been released is because it carries some fatal flaw when run on certain systems. You really need to know what you're doing.

Dolblato

Reactions: Jhonjhon236
W

Where

I don't do anything important with my mac. I bought it to play with OS X. It serves no other purpose beyond being a "toy". If it crashes, it crashes. Life goes on. Computers crash everyday in my world, its not a big deal. Its my choice to load an unsupported chunk of bits, I'll deal with the downside of that decision if it presents itself. Thank you for your concern.

Kela

macrumors 6502
May 12, 2001
US
what?

you bought a mac to play with OSX?. Dont you get stress playing with OSX?

serpicolugnut

macrumors member
Jun 13, 2001
Atlanta, GA
Hey - I'm the writer of Mac OS Xcentric...

We'll have more information on 10.0.4 later tonight at http://www.macosxcentric.com...

Keep in mind that this build was leaked, not released. This means that what ultimately will come out as 10.0.4 will probably have a higher build number (this one is 4Q4), and will probably have even more bug fixes/optimizations, etc.

If you are looking to get your hands on 10.0.4 before it's official release, your best bet is to fire up Hotline/Carracho and start searching for it.

And remember, this isn't an official release. If it trashes your Mac, you have no one to blame except yourself. I've already encountered a few little bugs in this build that will prevent me from installing it on my main OS X production machine.

gandalf55

macrumors 6502
Apr 13, 2001
boston
want in on a secret? for some of those who apply the pre-release 10.0.4 patch, they'll be bitching later when their software update won't recognize the legitimate update. sure, you can toss the certificate, but you know someone somewhere will be bitching about how Apple f*cked something up... and that's the part I hate the most about things getting leaked. It's cool. But don't bitch about anything due to your applying a pre-release bit of OS.

al256

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2001
not true

Hey smart *ss you dont need to use software update to update OS X, you can just download from the Apple website. I remember one time when this was true, but Apple listened to people who were having this problem. So now you can download it.

Reactions: Jhonjhon236

serpicolugnut

macrumors member
Jun 13, 2001
Atlanta, GA
It's easy...

to get software update to allow you to update to 10.0.4 (when it's finally released)...

All you have to do is delete (or move) the 10.0.4 receipt from the Receipts folder, and voila - you'll be able to download it when it's available.

Giovanni Maio

macrumors newbie
Jun 14, 2001
Italy
Whether we speak about this 10.0.4 leak or about the 10.0.5 release, it is however funny that the June 6th date has passed without anything happening: we are now eight days later, and still waiting.

blakespot

Administrator
Jun 4, 2000
Alexandria, VA
June 6th date

The June 6th date may have been completely fictional. It was a rumor submitted to us anonymously. Seemed it could've been true, but there are no guarantees. (No, we do not make things up and post them here, at macrumors.)

blakespot

A

anonymous

why the fuss?

why do you think Apple hasn't released it yet? Probably because it is NOT ready for primetime...

I am just wondering why everyone believes that an internal build of a future OS update should improve a released OS???

In fact, I think everyone ought to wait until it's ready, especially because you probably won't have any chance to uninstall the pre-release once the final update is out. And maybe just removing the receipt won't be enough????

Who will provide support for you? It was already said before: if you install that, be aware of the fact that the stability of your system CANNOT improve with prerelease software, nor will the speed. What's the problem with waiting, I just don't get it....

Y

Yawn

Believe it or not, some people enjoy playing with their machines as much as getting work done with them. Sometimes breaking things is the easiest way of learning how to fix them.

Some of us even own soldering irons for those really difficult problems that can not be solved with a keyboard.

S

sobelizzard

10.0.4 available by update

Hey everyone... just to let you all know, 10.0.4 is finally official. so go click 'update'........ now that this rumor is over and dead, does anyone have any dirt on 10.10.10? :)

Xistor

macrumors member
May 1, 2001
California
10.0.4 real version...

After having had some time to evaluate 10.0.4...
It really does have a number of bugs removed plus one new feature.. to read all about it, visit my bug list and fix list site:

http://www.mxormedia.com/OSX/OSX.htm

Scroll down to the green section that says 10.0.4: for the changes I've verified... more will be added no doubt as I continue my process of discovery..

I haven't had time to test it on a laptop yet, mine just went out for service yesterday so unfortunately, I don't know if they've fixed the brightness key bug or the missing processor speed selection for battery use issue.. Can anyone check on those two for me?? (Use the bug reports on my site if you aren't familiar with these two bugs)...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.