Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rjp

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 25, 2008
I just bought a new MBP yesterday and I noticed that the fans were loud compared to my wife's regular white macbook. I check the speed with istap pro and the fans atart out at around 2000 rpm immediately when I open the lid from a cold computer. I see no applications running that would cause this and cpu usage is only 4% - 7% range at the time.

I also notice the battery health is 98%, and the lid is a bit warped so that when closed it touches at the latch point but has about a 1/8 inch gap at the corners.

This surprised me because I have been so impressed with the quality of the MB and thought the MBP would be even better.

Are these things normal or should I ask for an exchange?

Thanks,
Rich

Hierotochan

macrumors member
Feb 25, 2008
Mbp...

When opening the latch on the MBP lift the screen from the middle.
As it's metal the case & lid can bend a little.
I did my backpack up too tight when I was Inter-Railing & when I took out my G4 it rocked on the desk like a coffee shop table.

As for the fans, it's fairly normal.
If it's bothering you try this:
http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/23137

Look in the forums for info on your battery, but generally don't worry about it.

McBag

macrumors newbie
Mar 19, 2008
Yep, that's normal on my Penryn MBP 2.5 GHz - minimum fan speed is about 2000 rpm and it usually doesn't change much unless I do something very CPU-intensive like video encoding.

Battery health oscillates between 98% and 100% (6 cycles so far) according to iStatPro.

I also heard of gaps at the corners from other MBP owners... mine is fine :)

Cheers,

R

mrwizardno2

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2007
Columbus, OH
I really don't think you're meant to take the fan default RPM lower than the stock setting. I think the newer revisions of this software prevent that possibility, but you will want to check before doing so.

rjp

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 25, 2008
Excellent fan app! Totally fixed my problem.

With this little App in your Pref Pane you can drop it to 1000Rpm:
http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/23137

Excellent! Excellent! Excellent!

Thanks so much for this app.

With this installed I have set the fan default from 2000 rpm down to 1000 rpm and it still ramps up when needed if I start using something that warms up the machine.

It is very quiet now, and I could not be happier.

Rich

chrisllc

macrumors newbie
Sep 7, 2010
Just how noisy are the fans when running at 2000 rpm?
My 15 inch MBP runs at 2000 rpm on stand-by and i can barely hear the fans unless i get really close to it.
You might want to check that there is no defect in the fans.

I tried an app some time ago, to control the fan speeds to keep the computer cooler when using a lot of processor power and i noticed that at some times the fans would take more time than usual to get up to full speed and the mac could get very hot at some times and the processor core temp could reach 95º.

I'm not sure if it's a great idea to override the mac's temperature control system.

Just wanted to give my point of view

pprior

macrumors 65816
Aug 1, 2007
1) this is not the macBOOK pro forum
2) this thread was from 5 years ago....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.