Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

swimlikehell

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 31, 2006
I have an updater which prompts the user for authorization, but it seems when it updates the files the new files are set with the admin authorization. I was wondering if anyone had any experience with this sort of application and can give me some suggestions of the authorization flags or anything I need to do for this to work. I used the example on apples web site:

developer.apple.com/documentation/Security/Conceptual/authorization_concepts/03authtasks/chapter_3_section_4.html#//apple_ref/doc/uid/TP30000995-CH206-TPXREF33

To get what I currently have. any suggestions would be much appreciated.

swimlikehell

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 31, 2006
If they do not have write privileges to the app they are updating the privileges should stay the same for that app.

Eraserhead

macrumors G4
Nov 3, 2005
UK
Ah, I see what your saying.

As a command line "hack" you could call chmod afterwards to set the correct permissions, but there may be a better way.

swimlikehell

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 31, 2006
I meant to say the new files have root privileges not admin privileges, I am aware of the chmode command line command but I was looking for an idea that I can put in my code not a hack. Thank you for your help.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.