Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ATTACK7van!

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 16, 2008
Today after my powerbook froze up, i had to do a cold restart. This is a very rare occurrence so i didn't think much of it. Now my powerbook randomly goes into sleep mode. even if I am not pressing any keys. Its not sitting idle wither though; it will go into sleep mode even if I am actively using the trackpad. the powerbook is plugged in and indicates the battery is charging.

OS X

Machine Name: PowerBook G4 15"
Machine Model: PowerBook5,6
CPU Type: PowerPC G4 (1.2)
Number Of CPUs: 1
CPU Speed: 1.5 GHz
L2 Cache (per CPU): 512 KB
Memory: 1 GB
Bus Speed: 167 MHz
Boot ROM Version: 4.9.1f3
Serial Number: W853204SSQ6
Sudden Motion Sensor:
State: Enabled
Version: 1.0

merl1n

macrumors 65816
Mar 30, 2008
New Jersey, USA
Today after my powerbook froze up, i had to do a cold restart. This is a very rare occurrence so i didn't think much of it. Now my powerbook randomly goes into sleep mode. even if I am not pressing any keys. Its not sitting idle wither though; it will go into sleep mode even if I am actively using the trackpad. the powerbook is plugged in and indicates the battery is charging.

OS X

Machine Name: PowerBook G4 15"
Machine Model: PowerBook5,6
CPU Type: PowerPC G4 (1.2)
Number Of CPUs: 1
CPU Speed: 1.5 GHz
L2 Cache (per CPU): 512 KB
Memory: 1 GB
Bus Speed: 167 MHz
Boot ROM Version: 4.9.1f3
Serial Number: W853204SSQ6
Sudden Motion Sensor:
State: Enabled
Version: 1.0

Sounds like something got corrupted when you forced-crashed the computer.

Heres what you should do:

1. SMC reset
2. Reset PRAM
3. Safe boot

If you need instructions on how to do these let me know.

beige matchbox

macrumors 6502a
Mar 16, 2005
Oxfordshire, UK
Check the temps on the trackpad sensor, mine and a number of others went bananas, +/- 200º sending the powerbook into sleep mode as it was trying to save itself from overheating :)

I removed one of the pins from the temp sensor, but i do believe apple have a new top panel which also includes an updated sensor.

ATTACK7van!

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 16, 2008
thanks for the help guys.
After restarting it seems to have alleviated the problems. I will preform some of the maintenance suggested in order to insure that the original caused of the problem is indeed fixed and dealt with.

ATTACK7van!

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 16, 2008
I already talked to merl1n about this but it seems that the random sleep has not been corrected...
My PB seems to be going to sleep randomly after it runs for a while and gets hot. Not good. I suspect a fan is broken, there is not enough exhaust air coming out the back. The other suspect would be a heat sensor somewhere thinks the pb is overheating. However i, suspect it is the former due to the correlation of the pb getting hot and the sleep behavior. Is there a way I can definitively diagnose the problem?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.