Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

scrugro

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 4, 2007
Anyone know if there's a Media Player Classic for Mac OS X? I've searched and only found older versions for older OS's.....does it (or anything comparable) exist?

I'm trying to play Real media files and REFUSE to download Real Player.

Thanks in advance.

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
If you mean something like the old 6.x series of Windows Media Player for Windows, no - that has never existed in a Mac version. I'm with you on RealPlayer... I don't like it one bit.

The Flashing Fi

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2007
If you mean something like the old 6.x series of Windows Media Player for Windows, no - that has never existed in a Mac version. I'm with you on RealPlayer... I don't like it one bit.

Media player classic is like the old 6.x version of WMP, except it's not. It is basically an open source recreating that's much more powerful.

I couldn't find a version of Media Player Classic for Mac OS X.

riscy

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2008
China
Agree totally - as a long time PC user (who used Media Classic, until I discovered VLC), and on the Mac it plays nearly everything I throw at it beautifully. Also great for audio as well as video. I prefer it to iTunes.

Download VLC

scrugro

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 4, 2007
VLC doesn't work

VLC doesn't play Real Media files....tried pretty much every known player...nothing plays Real except the RM Player or Media Player Classic.

Thanks for the feedback.

mmfy

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2007
I don't know about VLC, but MPC automatically downloads substitles for the movie and in my case, and i'm portuguese, i normally use them.

Thought they'd have a version by now - shame. Guess there is always MPC via parallels

bobright

macrumors 601
Jun 29, 2010
I know this thread is old but is there any Media Player Classic port or something very similar out there now?!?

I need to determine playback ms to fix some sync issues on some avis

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.