Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RichardJohn

macrumors member
Original poster
May 12, 2006
I just received a new message, opened it, and was greeted by a blank conversation. I went back to my inbox to find that all of my messages are gone!

I just opened the sms database, and only the message received after it happened is there :mad:

RichardJohn

macrumors member
Original poster
May 12, 2006
Hmm.. It just happened again. I've uninstalled Fring, as that's the only change made recently!

gts197

macrumors regular
Feb 26, 2008
i can confirm that its fring. i had the same issue right after i installed it. lost all my sms messages and couldnt restore them. i havnt had any issues since, but it is definitely a bug in the software.

Nipz

macrumors 65816
Nov 1, 2006
UK
Yea i lost all my SMSs after installing Fring!

Glad i found out why now :)

Thanks

ABM

macrumors regular
Jun 29, 2007
Europe
Yea i lost all my SMSs after installing Fring!

Glad i found out why now :)

Thanks

It's the same here... Just lost all my SMS conversations after installing Fring (pre-release 0.978 on iPhone FW 1.1.4)

matperk

macrumors 6502
May 6, 2004
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Wirelessly posted (Treo 700wx - Alltel: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

damn it fring! You bested me. Thanks guys for letting me know that's what it was.

Niiro13

macrumors 68000
Feb 12, 2008
Illinois
Fring was supposed to be the IM client to end both the Apollo and MobileChat... :(...especially since it doesn't crash when in background.

Guess not.

matperk

macrumors 6502
May 6, 2004
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Wirelessly posted (Treo 700wx - Alltel: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

Niiro13 said:
Fring was supposed to be the IM client to end both the Apollo and MobileChat... :(...especially since it doesn't crash when in background.

Guess not.

hopefully it will be fixed. It is prerelease anyway.

ABM

macrumors regular
Jun 29, 2007
Europe
SMS disappearing was still an issue with 0.9785 but is it still the same with the pre-release build 0.9786? There is no information (nothing, zero,...) about this build at http://www.fring.com

morkovka55

macrumors newbie
May 7, 2008
Guys,
I have the same problem with my messages disappearing from my inbox...the thing is that I haven't installed fring so I'm confused! I did however install skype....I mean not fring but the original skype for iPhone from app store.do u think that might be it and if so how can I fix it? I really need my SMSes but I don't want to delete skype either ;)

btw I've just updated my version to 3.0...maybe this has something to do with it

cupofjoe

macrumors regular
Feb 23, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Guys,
I have the same problem with my messages disappearing from my inbox...the thing is that I haven't installed fring so I'm confused! I did however install skype....I mean not fring but the original skype for iPhone from app store.do u think that might be it and if so how can I fix it? I really need my SMSes but I don't want to delete skype either ;)

btw I've just updated my version to 3.0...maybe this has something to do with it

I like how this buried post with jailbroken old firmware was bumped up and had nothing to do with the original problem.

Anyways, it seems to me that you set up your phone as a "new phone" when updating to 3.0. This will delete all SMS, notes, etc. It's what happens when you restore as a new phone.

Perhaps you could be more specific with your problem. I find it highly unlikely that Skype has caused a problem with SMS, as I'm fairly certain the SDK cannot touch databases such as the SMS database.

morkovka55

macrumors newbie
May 7, 2008
Ok, I don't think the reason for my SMS disappearing is that the phone is set up as new because it isn't. Before I did the software update the phone was backed up and after the update iTunes automatically restored from that back up. So I had all my numbers, photos and messages even after the update.the problem is they started disappearing. Like for example I write an SMS and it stays for a couple of minutes in my "sent" folder but then when I come back it's gone. Or the same thing when I recieve a message - I can't even get round to reading it because it doesn't stay long enough in my inbox. The reason why I thought skype has something to do with that is because all the people who had such problem blame it on installing fring and skype is close enough to fring. I've looked in many forums and everywhere people say that's the problem. I find it kind of unlikely because I don't really see the connection between skype and SMS but I do know that for the short period of time before I installed skype my messages weren't disappearing.
Thanks ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.