Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bloobeem

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 18, 2008
Hey everyone,

Nice forum. First time here but more than likely will not be the last... all so knowledgeable. Its fascinating. Anyhow not to bore you with hi how are ya's and such I have a slight problem and could not find anyone up here that works on Mac's. To me this was actually a good sign. I haev this nice 12 inch ibook. One day it took a spill. The result was that the power addapter (at the computer - not the wall outlet) seemed to have gotten mangled a bit. Over time it just would not work anylonger - having to plug it in and actually hold it in place just right to make a connect. I just would like to replace this internal jack... is such a thng even really possible? Another fella here in town told me this jack is connected to the motherboard in such a way that it really cannot be replaced and that I need a new motherboard.... YIKES dam... well you kow the feeling.

So... question is rather obvious now... I have never opened the back or this (ibook) yet... is the motherboard attacted to this and is it probably cracked or something?

Well... sorry to take up more productive space on this board but as I say I could not find an answer or thread regarding. If you have seen a thread please direct me and if not perhaps one of you knows the answer or can get me closer to one. I miss that cute litle ibook face. Thanks much!!:)

OrangeSVTguy

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2007
Northeastern Ohio
Why not buy a new power adapter if that is what is all mangled up?

The motherboard is located on the left hand side of the ibook. The battery and optical drive occupy the entire right half. There is a little board where the power adapter plugs into and that connects to the motherboard with a cable. If you never took an iBook apart, you will be in for a rude awakening :D. There will be about 15-20 screws with all of varying sizes and lengths that you will have to remove and keep track of to replace that power board. You have to remove the bottom and the top as the board is attached to the frame with one screw only accessable from the top.

If you want to try it yourself here's a good guide to follow. Click here.

Good luck.

bloobeem

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 18, 2008
Orange',
Way to go... really appreciate that site you offered. NICE!

One more quickie please... you say:
"There is a little board where the power adapter plugs into and that connects to the motherboard with a cable"

To order such a thing... any advice there and what might I call that little board with power adapter? Is there a better description for such a thing? AGAIN.... THANKS!!!!:)

OrangeSVTguy

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2007
Northeastern Ohio
Orange',
Way to go... really appreciate that site you offered. NICE!

One more quickie please... you say:
"There is a little board where the power adapter plugs into and that connects to the motherboard with a cable"
To order such a thing... any advice there and what might I call that little board with power adapter? Is there a better description for such a thing? AGAIN.... THANKS!!!!:)

Here check this ebay auction. This is the cheapest one on there and is what you need if this is what's broken. I had sold one to another MacRumers member for just shipping costs so I'll see if I can find an extra for you and you can have it.

You also have to be more specific on what iBook you have. Is it a G3 or G4, 12" or 14"?

techound1

macrumors 68000
Mar 3, 2006
Yeah, go beat up on the "helper" in town. Orange is right on. If he can't hook you up or you miss that auction, they're called dc-in boards. Another site to look at for disassembly guides is ifixit.com (but their parts are pricey - and they don't have a moose in their guide - so stick with ebay if orange can't hook you up).

bloobeem

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 18, 2008
What ibook do you have? I only have 1 extra DC board left and it's from a 12" G4. If you have a G3, it won't work.

Yo.... G4 thats me...er...ah well [IT]. Nice OrangeSVT - by the way.

Techound says:
Orange is right on.
Well said Techhound' but Udaman as well - good info and advice too!!

How exciting... this desktop PC is givin me a sore arse... Had the macdaddy not bit'n the dust for the last month I wouldn't have blowin the dust off this desk top which come to find out a good friend can make use of - we're all a bit light in the wallet and yoo's helpin as you have has made things just a bit easier for us - right-on! So, we'll get the G4 back online and productive and she can have this... life is good for a minute.

My son put some memory into the G4 a while back and feels quite confident he can install the "dc inboard" last time he went in it he said he only ended up with one screw left over... pullin my chain (wise guy)! I'll watch the proces this time around. Yet the way that demo Orange sent show'd a very intelligent practical technique all newbies would do well to take note of.

Once again... you guys have now made 2 peoples lives easier and more productive... good people... good forum!

Oh by the way Techound.... you mentioned:
they don't have a moose in their guide
... will you enlighten me on this term or are you havin fun with the newbie? lol

D

techound1

macrumors 68000
Mar 3, 2006
Oh by the way Techound.... you mentioned:
... will you enlighten me on this term or are you havin fun with the newbie? lol

D

lol. No snipe hunts here. The site orange mentioned has stuffed toy mooses (meeces?) in a lot of the fix-it guide photos. ifixit is much more clinical.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.