Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DaSal

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 19, 2008
The Netherlands
I've been using Unison since I've got a Mac, and while it has it's perks, like it has a great interface, I've been looking for a better alternative since I got it. Things that really bug me is that I can't pause individual downloads, just all downloads in the download list, and it doesn't show the total download speed or estimated time to complete the download.

I'd use it mainly for downloading NZB's, so that's most important to me, automatically processing PAR files would be a plus. I really liked Newsbin on Windows better than Unison on here, but meh. That's why I decided to make a thread to see if anybody knows any alternatives, I couldn't really find one myself. Not one that was better/worked anyway.;)

DaSal

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 19, 2008
The Netherlands
Interested as well, but I don't think there's anything better than Unison out - seems we would've heard about it.

Yea, I'm afraid of that too. I just don't get why Panic refuses to put more advanced feautures into their program. It still only has the most basic feautures for a Usenet app even at version 1.8. I think they're taking the whole "mac simplicity" thing a little too far...

operator207

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2007
Yea, I'm afraid of that too. I just don't get why Panic refuses to put more advanced feautures into their program. It still only has the most basic feautures for a Usenet app even at version 1.8. I think they're taking the whole "mac simplicity" thing a little too far...

I agree it could have some more advanced features, but its nicer than some other apps I have used in the PC world for usenet.

I still use XNews, as old as it is, and still find myself wanting Unison on that PC.

You could try nzbperl if you like cli apps. There is a screenshot of it working on a 10.4.1 intel machine.

I have never tried it, but it might be more to your liking.

DaSal

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 19, 2008
The Netherlands
I agree it could have some more advanced features, but its nicer than some other apps I have used in the PC world for usenet.

I still use XNews, as old as it is, and still find myself wanting Unison on that PC.

You could try nzbperl if you like cli apps. There is a screenshot of it working on a 10.4.1 intel machine.

I have never tried it, but it might be more to your liking.

Looks nice. I've dabbled in Linux and the terminal before but sadly I have no idea how to get this thing working. I had the same problem trying to get Hellanzb to work. I just can't find any detailed explenation on how to get it to work, nothing on getting nzbperl to work on OSX at all an with Hellanzb it was all very vague imo (and required Xtools).

If someone could help me set this up that would be appreciated.;)

netwalker

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2007

DaSal

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 19, 2008
The Netherlands
I've been using hellanzb (http://www.hellanzb.com), which is a command line tool and takes care of the downloading and unpacking. I just looks for new nzb files in my downloads folder and then does all the rest. It is not a fancy GUI application but it works and that is all I am asking for.

Easiest way to install it on a Mac is through darwinports: http://hellanzb.darwinports.com/

Complete instructions:
http://www.hellanzb.com/hellanzb-content/INSTALL_hellanzb_OSX.txt

Thanks for the great tip, I ran into some technical difficulties that weren't covered in the guide but I worked them out, it really does work like a charm.:D

chkdg8

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2007
Sorry but for some reason, I keep coming back to Unison. Seriously, have you guys tried the latest build?

willpower101

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2009
Yep, using unison 2.x now because it's amazing! auto par, auto rar, folder organization, lots of goodness about the interface :D

chkdg8

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2007
Oh, I'll admit that the new features are definitely awesome. The auto extraction feature alone means that I can uninstall MacPar Deluxe and have one less application. I can go on about the wealth of new features but I'm going to vote with my dollar and reward Panic and their hard work. Look, I can get this by "other means" but I use Unison everyday and I enjoy it. Sometimes you have to give a little. After all, $29 is nothing compared to what Unison is used for.:cool:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.