Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NewSc2

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 4, 2005
New York, NY
I notice that I frequently have my laptop on my bed, for watching movies and emailing, etc. before I go to sleep. I've never been able to find a good position for it, though. (this post is sounding really sexual)

Anyway, I was thinking if there was any sort of wedge pillow (no, not that wedge pillow) that I could rest my laptop on so it won't make my bed all hot and that I can get a good viewing angle. I'd preferably like to be able to type while lying down, but I can't really forsee something like that.

Advice?

DZ/015

macrumors 6502a
Mar 23, 2003
New England
Start drinking more beer and use your belly.

In a more helpful vein, I just use a regular pillow and have had no bad experiences.

terriyaki

macrumors 6502a
Aug 4, 2005
Vancouver
You should look into making some sort of customized reversi-hammock that allows your laptop to hang suspended above you allowing you to use it as you lay down.

But then of course your hands would probably get tired from having to type like that.

Flowbee

macrumors 68030
Dec 27, 2002
Alameda, CA
i bought an iLap stand for my wife and she LOVES it. It ain't cheap, but it's very well made. It's lightweight and has soft padding on the edges, making it really comfortable to rest on you. The solid surface provides ventilation underneath the computer, which is very important for cooling. A laptop can get very hot when resting on a pillow or beadspread too long.

feelthefire

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2006
Try to get something that doesn't block any vents (pillows, blankets, etc) when you do buy. I can name off the top of my head about 10 people who have fried laptops by overheating them while placed on soft, heat trapping objects.

The iLap is a pretty nice tool.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
I have this one
comfortstore_1925_18072865

But I did not pay more than $90 for it. I no longer use it so it's sitting in the garage but when I used it, it was great. http://www.sitincomfort.com/dellaptopdes.html
Where are you located if you're local then maybe you'd want to buy it.

airkarol

macrumors 6502
Nov 12, 2005
You should look into making some sort of customized reversi-hammock that allows your laptop to hang suspended above you allowing you to use it as you lay down.

But then of course your hands would probably get tired from having to type like that.

And make a 2 piece keyboard, and put a half on each side of you, :D

operator

macrumors regular
Oct 29, 2006
Canada
Just use a hard-cover book that is big enough, or a flat binder. I use a flat binder - works like a charm. If that doesnt' work, call MacGyver.

reppans

macrumors 6502
Dec 2, 2006
I have this one

But I did not pay more than $90 for it. I no longer use it so it's sitting in the garage but when I used it, it was great. http://www.sitincomfort.com/dellaptopdes.html

+1, these stands are great... use on the bed, my stressless lounge chair, as a stand alone desk, etc. Both surfaces adjust for both angle and height, independently.

Reflow

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2005
NJ/PHL
You can get one of these from Staples.com

Attachments

• s0061708_std.jpg
    s0061708_std.jpg
    8.4 KB · Views: 37,459

Aniej

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2006
For use while in the bed... I know something that can raise it up a decent amount, but it is attached to your body and is not great at keeping the same height for a more than a few hours.

NewSc2

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 4, 2005
New York, NY
I have this one

I've actually seen that. It was on sale at Fry's today for $40.

Although it's kind of a good idea, it's really not what I want. I want something that actually goes on the bed. My Macbook isn't that big to begin with, and my bed is a Queen so it's pretty big... don't really want to set the Macbook at the foot of my bed to squint and watch my Futurama or Simpsons episodes. I'm looking for something that goes on the bed.

Well, on top of that, the unit I saw was kind of shoddily made... on par with those $100 desks at Office Depot that bend and creak.

I'll keep looking... maybe I can invent something that'll make sleeping with my laptop easier ;)

Gamdoan

macrumors newbie
Aug 5, 2006
Vermillion, SD
I use a lap desk that I bought at Target for about $12. I found it in the Kid's area. Works great. It has a bean bag type of thing on the bottom for ultimate comfort, and a wood desktop. Comfy like you wouldn't believe.

poppe

macrumors 68020
Apr 29, 2006
Woodland Hills
I use a lap desk that I bought at Target for about $12. I found it in the Kid's area. Works great. It has a bean bag type of thing on the bottom for ultimate comfort, and a wood desktop. Comfy like you wouldn't believe.

You can also get these at umm... crap not bed bath and beyond... hmm what is the store called... well now I dont know but it's kinda like bed bath and beyond... But it is way more expensive then the target one...

Hoo03

macrumors regular
Feb 23, 2007
Virginia
I also use iLap and I found it very practical to use it anywhere. Yes it was more than I wanted to spend on a stand but now having used it for couple months IMO it's worth every penny.

steeler

macrumors regular
Jan 30, 2008
I bought one of those beanbag desks as mentioned above. I love it. The one at Target sounds a lot nicer than what I have though. I might have to check it out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.